• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

This is so simple but seems incredibly comprehensive of the general idea of a disc golf swing. The arm isn't "pulling"... it's levering. Thanks for sharing

Yes that is so true. I have been struggling with the idea of pulling as well. Still sometimes I throw a disc like it has absolutely no weight and thats pulling soft with the small muscles of my arm. But as I have evolved the feeling is more like pulling my loose and heavy arm with bigger muscles. The only thing my arm does is bend the elbow.
Thus the One-Arm Olympic Hammer Throw. ;)

Afternoon!

Here are a couple of 1 step throws from today. For two weeks now I've consistently worked the one leg drill/throw, so I'll be interested to hear your critiques on my 1 step and if there are any noticeable changes (good or bad).

Thanks guys. Always always always appreciate you help!

You are setting up with your hip and knee(femur) bent out of posture. Take a full practice swing into the finish position you see me in the bottom set of pics and hold that position, then go into the backswing from there and finish back in the same position.
lN0GMAh.png

6LrMfxw.png

^Yep, copy those exact positions. Front hand forward with disc, back hand back to balance. Swing around so that your chest is forward to the target and back foot raised up on toes. Should feel like belly button/spine is balanced on or to the front foot at all times.

Yo!

I continue to work OLD, but as always I need a bit of direction. SW, I think my pre-swing/finish position is looking better, but I am struggling with my back swing. My screenshot tells me that I am clearly bending too much as I am not as upright as you're in your demonstration. My struggle is that if I get more upright as you're, it feels like I have a lot of weight on my rear foot/leg. Any advice you have on my backswing would be great!

Forward swing! If there is one thing I am really starting to feel in this drill, it is the compression/pump (like standing on a swing set). But as I look back through some of my videos, you can see a subtle/tiny hop at the hit. Going to go out on limb and say losing connection with the ground at the hit is not a good thing. My question then is, what is causing the mini hop? Am I extending to quickly/aggressively? Or is more related to my upper body and the swing?

OLD

OLD W/ noticeable hop

Attachments

• OLD screeshot.jpg
    OLD screeshot.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 7
You're sinking way down in the backswing. To me it looks like your finish position that you start in is nice...then as you turn back you squat for no reason. Same in your setup as you shift laterally from back leg to the finish position on one leg...you're squatting into the rear leg and then extending up to the front leg. Remember...tall on rear leg toes and drop to the plant. Resist the drop/impact at plant by catching yourself and the hip will clear.

If you stand up tall on the front leg in OLD and just rotate slowly with an extended arm, the rear leg should turn with you to counter the arm on the other side of the body. Just stand tall and maintain balance while turning back and forth slowly and outstretched. There's no reason to squat as much as you are.

Throw with your arm, not with shoulderspinny motion. Do the OLD with a tennis racket or something similiar.

Sup fellas!

Quick question; I'm attaching several screenshots of me throwing today, one item that is painfully obvious is my consistent noes up release. Would you say this nose up result stems from a balance/weight shift issue OR more of a wrist/thumb/grip issue?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Nose up 1.jpg
    Nose up 1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Nose up 2.jpg
    Nose up 2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Nose up 3.jpg
    Nose up 3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 20
Your right arm/shoulder angle looks not wide enough, like you aren't releasing the arm outward and ahead of you enough, so I think that's what's getting the disc jammed and that results in it going nose up. Best I can tell from the still shots.

For me when I changed my grip to more "proper" but less nose down or rather a different part of the disc acting as the nose, I was getting those same releases until I got onto my front leg better so my arm would release a bit more ahead of me. Basically those nose up throws feel like the arm isn't extended enough so the disc gets compressed/dragged and dips to nose up.

Your right arm/shoulder angle looks not wide enough, like you aren't releasing the arm outward and ahead of you enough, so I think that's what's getting the disc jammed and that results in it going nose up. Best I can tell from the still shots.

Yeah that's what I thought. What I didn't want to do was to start to try and fix the symptom (nose up), instead of focusing on the root cause (balance/weight shift). Back to OLD :)

Thanks SP.

Yeah that sounds right. I changed the grip and trusted SW that improved balance would get the nose down again, and it did. I had a couple days of 70% nose up throws, but once I figured out how to get onto the front leg and feel like I "stayed with" the shot then it worked out consistently.

I'd say the easiest correlation to make would be if you are a ball golfer and don't get onto the front leg you'll be leaned slightly back, and you'll kind of uppercut the ball instead of being "over" it feeling like you're driving clear through the ball targetward. Same thing except our swing arc is with one arm and way out ahead of us, so it's harder to see/feel where in golf it's very obvious when you're leaned back and get under it.

Yeah, you aren't balanced on your front leg, your upper angle is collapsing into your body as your body is crashing into the front leg. Note you appear to be squished into your front leg instead of nice and balanced and relaxed and upright on it with wider upper arm.

Afternoon!

A few clips of OLD today. Doing what I can to try and match/imitate SW's positions in his OLD clips. For me it is a challenging balancing act concentrating on getting into the correct positions, but yet staying smooth and relaxed in the throw. Those two goals are in a constant battle with one another.

I made this video for another thread but it may be helpful for you. You are spinning freely on the plant leg instead of set up to counterweight the shot with your butt/bodyweight, and I think you're trying to do a torso rotation to throw rather than stay more sideways/closed with an arm releasing targetward.

When you pendulum before the swing back and forth in the hyzer/golf club swing plane you seem pretty together, but then when you think about the throwing motion forward you bring your arm up and just move it where you want. Essentially losing that same connected feeling, like a connected weight or connect lag feeling. Without something specifically heavy in your hand like a hammer, try to feel like your entire arm is heavy and leading to the disc.

https://vimeo.com/304193684

https://vimeo.com/304193684^^^^^LINK

Allow your front toes to get pulled up off ground in the backswing but keeping the heel firm in the ground. So the momentum of the backswing should shift your CoG to the right to your heel and rear foot post(allow some more pressure on rear foot). Then shift your CoG left over front foot to transition to the forward swing. So your front toes should go up in backswing, down in forward swing which pushes pressure back to your heel and pivot centered on heel.

c7lJxTt.png

Allow your front toes to get pulled up off ground in the backswing but keeping the heel firm in the ground. So the momentum of the backswing should shift your CoG to the right to your heel and rear foot post(allow some more pressure on rear foot). Then shift your CoG left over front foot to transition to the forward swing. So your front toes should go up in backswing, down in forward swing which pushes pressure back to your heel and pivot centered on heel.

c7lJxTt.png

This and SP's video are wonderful. Thank you both!

Afternoon,

It may not visually look like it, but I really feel like I'm getting closer and closer to a breakthrough when it comes to balance. First, I'm taking "throw" out of my vocabulary for the moment. It has been pointed out to me on several occasions, that when ever I try to "throw" I end up manipulating my arm/disc into the position that I think is correct, rather than staying connected to the weight of my arm/disc

Instead, I've been substituting the word "throw" for "leverage the disc forward." Below are a couple clips from lunch trying to leverage my heavy water bottle forward in OLD.

Still not skilled enough to spot my own errors. My only visual cue that things may be improving is the position of my lead shoulder. The majority of my form videos clearly show a raised lead shoulder, whereas these clips the shoulders are more even with each other.

As always, I appreciate the feedback :)

I don't know how to best explain it since I haven't gone through that exact phase of form. But it looks like you're trying to lead the throw with your upper spine/head/neck.

Instead balance your head on your spine, and your spine all aligned. Move your lower spine at your pelvis to your plant leg. If your lower spine moves then your centre of mass moves, and if your spine and head are aligned then your head will move in control and stay in balance.

1. That head dive doesn't look good. Are you trying to keep your head down?

2. Your swing is way too rotational. Go vertical straight back and forward like a pendulum or windmill overhead.

No, not necessarily trying to keep the head down, just trying to get the head tilt right Unsuccessfully though.

I'll try a more vertical approach. Thanks boss!