• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

I see tension and shoulders up to your ears. Do some one arm circles, just swing your arms around. Focus on that feeling, how your arm feels heavy but relaxed.
Agree, looks tense and manipulated into positions, shoulders collapsed up to ears/head down, arm angles crumpling, shoulder up. Front hip way over top the front knee/ankle, instead of stacked upright.

Note how stacked I am on the front leg and relaxed and wide. my rear arm/hand are already away from the body, so I'm not spilling the beverage. Try just walking with a full cup and having the arm tight to the body vs relaxed and countering the body. You are going to spill your beverage with the arm tight to the body.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 2.32.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 2.32.36 PM.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 123
Thank you for the markup and the constructive feedback gents. I absolutely see the tension that you all are talking about. Just sitting at my desk, I will become aware that my shoulders are incredibly tensed up. This is going to be a challenge that I will have to focus on a lot in attempt to correct. Hope to put some work in tomorrow!

Ugh...remaining chill and loosey goosey is a challenge for me! Honestly thinking about trying some combination of meditation/yoga. A few drill videos for your viewing pleasure.

SP/SS: Even after the elephant walk, I think I am still struggling with my leg pump timing. Is it that I am not compressing enough. While swinging the hammer, I really tried to concentrate on remaining loose and not manipulating my body into specific positions. I just wanted to feel what my body wanted to do. Looking back at the video though...I still seem stiff :|

IMO the elephant walk is the best/most obvious way to feel the pump, and your timing on it is incorrect still. Once you have felt it in the elephant walk, then you should easily be able to transition it to a standstill dingle arm/pendulum, and then to a one leg pretty intuitively. That should hopefully help.

Here is a marked up image.

Transition of the swing is when the hammer is weightless either at top of backswing or top of forward swing since you are penduluming. This is when the far leg should plant, and it should already be weighted so you can begin to extend/pump on the way down to help with gravity and accelerate through the arc and the bottom of the swing. The bottom of the swing is analogous to the outward arc on a flatter plane.

You are planting way way late and just letting gravity work on the way down, not catching your weight until the hammer is arcing and at or past your foot. You're kind of timing your body with the hammer moving, rather than using your body to help the hammer move.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Elephant Walk Markup.jpg
    Elephant Walk Markup.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 113
Swings are fine its just your rhytm, its off. Like the very first swing you timed it correctly and then you go off tempo. It looks like you swing - stop - swing -stop - swing - stop. Let the hammer fall, feel the gravity. Regardless it looks way less tense than before good stuff.

Swings are fine its just your rhytm, its off. Like the very first swing you timed it correctly and then you go off tempo.

Yeah I think you're right...like on the first pendulums to get the hammer moving you just shift with it intuitively and then when it's "drill walk time" the tempo and feel gets off rather than just feeling how to move the hammer with your body.

It's not simple at first which is why I hope that picture helps. But once you feel it, it will be obvious.

You guys are awesome. Great mark up SP, thank you. So obvious to see my rhythm off, especially after it gets compared to my first swing when I'm really not thinking about it. Seems my mind gets in the way of my body more often than not.

Going to keep working on this rhythm/elephant walk and I'll report back.

E-Walk - You look really flat footed/stiff/straight legged walking. You are also stepping out left and right instead of stepping straight in front of you(normal walk) or even inline(model walk).

Heavy Swing/Windmill - your rear foot needs to turn further back/out and flex the knee/squat some. You are pigeon toed and knee is straight the entire time it's weighted on the ground.

One Leg Hammer - looks like you are trying to turn your hips from the rear side. The front hip will turn as you squat down and up. The femur rotates when you squat, since you are one leg, that will turn your pelvis/shoulders/arm.

Afternoon!

Spent some time this week really working on my one leg throws. After doing the E-walk, I really could feel the pump and now I'm starting to get that same feel in my one leg throws. I finally found buried in BJ's thread where he worked on one leg throws, so I have been trying to use the feedback he received as my guide.

Below is a video with several one leg throws. Not trying to be lazy and not edit, just wanted everyone to see how awkward I can be in between throws as I try to find balance :)

Tense tense tense and you are pulling yourself out of balance. Try this one out let´s call it one leg slap drill.
Here are the key notes. Touch the middle of your chest, where it feels comfortable to you. (This is the so called power pocket).
Open your arm, do not pull or yank, its an immovable lever, open it. That is your full extension. Same goes for the reachback or backswing. Start bouncing your hand off from your chest, back and forth (Start very slow, balance is the key). When you find balance you can start speeding it up and eventually it will start to feel like one motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtB0MuGfhnw

"Tense." Ugh, thank you calling that out. Keep doing it! I try so hard to make improvements, unfortunately that try hard attitude manifests itself with a very tense body.

Interesting drill! I'll give it some work. Much appreciated :thmbup:

Note how I move my body out of the way to the right tee side for the disc to swing back right over top the foot like the disc is a heavy sledgehammer. You are swinging the disc back like it weighs nothing around you body.

In the second frame my shoulders are turned much further back at the top of the backswing. It looks like you are trying to the disc wide instead of turning back for a longer swing.

Last frame not how your front knee is left of the ankle instead of stacked upright on it. Your chin is over your toes instead of your nose.

Inside Swing Drill, move your rear foot to the right tee side and use the rear foot to support the backswing. You can let the foot come down on the ground as a balance support without your weight really shifting back into it. A tiny amount of weight will shift due to the momentum of the backswing pulling back. Your front foot should remain firmly weighted on the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.21.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.21.14 PM.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 147
Thank you SW for the mark up. Busy weekend, so I wasn't able to get out and practice. Hope to put some work in this week. You mention maybe a "tiny" amount of weight moving to the rear leg in the back swing for balance/support. Is it a dumb question to ask, what percentage of your weight moves to the rear leg (e.g. 10-20%)? Or is that over thinking the drill, and I should just let my body do what feels right?

Thanks again!

Thank you SW for the mark up. Busy weekend, so I wasn't able to get out and practice. Hope to put some work in this week. You mention maybe a "tiny" amount of weight moving to the rear leg in the back swing for balance/support. Is it a dumb question to ask, what percentage of your weight moves to the rear leg (e.g. 10-20%)? Or is that over thinking the drill, and I should just let my body do what feels right?

Thanks again!
All focus should be on the front foot remaining firmly weighted on the front foot. The momentum of the heavy backswing will create some "weight" going or pulling back. That momentum is like extra weight or G-force, that you need to brace or post up on the rear side against to transition the swing back forward. So your front foot can still have your total static weight like say you weight 150lbs, so that scale will remain at 150lbs in the backswing, and the scale on your rear foot would go from 0lbs to maybe 50lbs, so in the transition back forward your total dynamic weight would be 200lbs instead of your static 150lbs. It's dynamic weight or "fake weight" on the rear foot, that ends up transitioning back forward to the front foot during the forward swing and possibly increasing more so at the hit you might read 250lbs on the front foot and 0lbs on the rear foot.

Last edited:
Afternoon!

Spent the past couple days over lunch working the one leg drill, along with RC's slap drill. With the one leg, from my untrained eye, it appears I am better stacked ankle/knee/chin. Although it doesn't appear that my nose is quite over my toes. Another critique; I can clearly see that my elbow is much closer to my body, as compared to SW. Is this a product of me not getting my noes over my toes and/or collapsing my elbow?

While I primarily am throwing into the tarp/blanket for efficiency reasons, I do regularly step out into full warehouse to get feedback on how the disc is flying. Not sure if there is anything that anyone can glean from this distance info, but putting it out here just in case...

Warehouse is 250' long.
Star Roc's: 240' - 250' from one leg.
Star Aviar's: 225' - 235' from one leg.

Your elbow is collapsing down close your body because your upper arm is collapsing/hugging yourself. You are allowing too much lag/collapse in the upper arm as the shoulders turn. Need the elbow to move with the shoulders like a big hockey stick/Olympic Hammer Throw, one single pendulum. Then let the lower arm/disc hinge in and out as a second pendulum with the wrist locked.

----

Note in pre-swing how my whole rear side lines up and chest squares up to the target, on very tippy toes w/ heel all the way up, so foot is completely vertical.

Note in your pre-swing how your rear side is bent/not lined up and chest is perpendicular to target, and not on very tippy toes w/ heel all the way up, so your foot is diagonal.

----

Note in the backswing my rear toes remain in same exact place as the heel spins down and out, so I'm just posting up for balance/leverage.

Note in your backswing your whole foot moves over to right and back diagonal like 3" and you put the whole foot down flat footed, there's no spin down toes to heel. Your weight is shifting back as your foot moves back. You aren't posting up on the rear foot for balance/leverage you are shifting your weight back.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 6.03.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 6.03.01 PM.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Yep yep, you want some air in your armpit. If you would close your arm in your backswing, your hand would be on your left pec or left shoulder. IMO the backswing can be anywhere you want with only one requirement, you need to be able to close your arm so that it is able to get to that middle chest position. So essentially I can throw from swinging my arm straight up then collapsing it to the middle of my chest and firing.

Tense tense tense and you are pulling yourself out of balance. Try this one out let´s call it one leg slap drill.
Here are the key notes. Touch the middle of your chest, where it feels comfortable to you. (This is the so called power pocket).
Open your arm, do not pull or yank, its an immovable lever, open it. That is your full extension. Same goes for the reachback or backswing. Start bouncing your hand off from your chest, back and forth (Start very slow, balance is the key). When you find balance you can start speeding it up and eventually it will start to feel like one motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtB0MuGfhnw

This is so simple but seems incredibly comprehensive of the general idea of a disc golf swing. The arm isn't "pulling"... it's levering. Thanks for sharing

This is so simple but seems incredibly comprehensive of the general idea of a disc golf swing. The arm isn't "pulling"... it's levering. Thanks for sharing

Yes that is so true. I have been struggling with the idea of pulling as well. Still sometimes I throw a disc like it has absolutely no weight and thats pulling soft with the small muscles of my arm. But as I have evolved the feeling is more like pulling my loose and heavy arm with bigger muscles. The only thing my arm does is bend the elbow.