• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

As always, I appreciate the feedback after I post new (unfortunately similar looking) video clips.

"Embrace the suck" has become a new mantra for me while practicing. I was a wrestler in high school, and our coach would tell us to "embrace the suck" during the most difficult parts of practice. Seems like a fitting phrase at this point in my backhand journey.

With that in mind, here is me embracing the suck today.

As always, I appreciate the feedback after I post new (unfortunately similar looking) video clips.

"Embrace the suck" has become a new mantra for me while practicing. I was a wrestler in high school, and our coach would tell us to "embrace the suck" during the most difficult parts of practice. Seems like a fitting phrase at this point in my backhand journey.

With that in mind, here is me embracing the suck today.

I'm sure SW will come in and break it down, but I may suggest trying the elevated crush the can - put your rear foot up on a block, 2x4, etc and drop more into the plant. It looks like you're reaching with the foot instead of leading with butt/hip and catching yourself from underneath. This is something I need to work as well.

https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs?t=3m19s

To my eyes you are delaying the swing well. But you are 100% jamming/crashing into the plant.

This was helpful to me, how SW specifically shows how he is angled straight on the plant leg, just that angle isn't completely vertical because he has to catch the weight with a little momentum. Focus on how he says he catches his weight so if he missed he'd land on his butt, not his face.

Right now you're trying to go through the leg, with upper body on one side and lower body on the other, then the plant stops you and it's got to be strenuous when you throw hard. I've done that in the past so I know.

Let the rear heel come down so you can balance/stack on it in the backswing and make a forward/lateral move to target pushing off the inside edge of your foot with plantar flexion and flexed knee so the heel goes targetward. You aren't pushing off the instep/inside edge of your foot with plantar flexion(you use knee extension instead), let the foot/leg roll/bank inward to leverage you forward. This forward/lateral move needs to happen in the backswing, you are trying to do it in the forward swing.

I'm also stuck at 300' and know for a fact I'm using all arm. After watching this thread for the last 2.5 months I'm not even sure I want to even try and fix my form. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be. All I can really say is, don't give up! I really want to see you get through this as it may inspire myself and others to start our own "form fixing" journey.

Props to SW and SP for all the great advice and Jet57 for not giving up. Keep ****ing going!

Afternoon gents! Back with a couple one leg drill videos. Just trying to find some balance/rythm on this right leg of mine.

Going to get some practice time at the indoor soccer fields today. I'll have about 90 minutes to get some throwing in; anyone following this thread have a suggestion as to what I should work on this afternoon?

Side

Behind

You're freely rotating around the plant in the one leg. From the back view you can see your rear knee spinning around/left of the plant, and in the side view you can see there isn't really any counter/recoil in the hips.

Don't try to restrict the throw with the upper body to try to be super balanced around the axis...try to throw it pretty good and use the lower body/rear leg as a counterweight to keep you balanced. Let it happen and see how it goes.

SW is way better with balance setup and such. But in the behind view, you're way too upright rather than athletically ready. Everything is straight on top of the joint below it with your head looking down over the toes. There should be more leg bend, so you kind of have knee over toes, butt balanced back a little, head over toes. So you have some room to swing through and the ability for the leg and hip to extend/clear rather than act as a pole you spin around.

As for what to practice I'd kind of go between these, standstill, and the open-closed shots. Sometimes having that extra momentum into the shot compared to one leg will make you feel the counterweight.

I would also recommend swinging a hammer/wrench/some heavy object that length too. The extra mass should really pull you to the left of the brace with what you're doing now and expose that you aren't' countering the throw. If your water bottle has a good loop on the lid you can even use that.

Sometimes focusing on something that isn't "did the disc go fast?" and instead forces you to maintain balance and tension will help.

Definitely agree with swinging something heavier.

I like the setup position, but need to let your rear heel come down targetward in the backswing so your center of gravity will shift toward the right tee side/rear foot and allow your front leg to bend into more athletic position in transition. You will see what I'm talking about if you watch me throw in beginning of One Leg Drill.

Side view, there's no momentum pulling you further back into the backswing and look rather stiff and not moving everything in rhythm together.

Rear view you seem to do the opposite of Perpetually Longer Swing Drill, you start swinging back and forth nice and long but then your swing gets shorter and tighter. Your swings should get longer as you get ready to throw, not shorter.

Morning!

Other than raising two daughters, working two jobs and having fun with the Mrs. my SOLE PURPOSE in life right now is shifting from behind and getting off my rear leg :)

Lately I have been using heavydiscs most recent windmill drill, in conjunction with a normal one step throw. I don't know how to put this into words, so I will simply say my throwing motion over the past couple days feels different than what I have been doing. Unfortunately, with a lot of rain in Kansas City, I have not been able to go out and test this "new feeling" to see if I am on the right track.

In my real time throws you can see that I have some funky arm angle going, along with pulling too high. I'll certainly need to clean that up. But to my naked eye, it appears I'm getting off my rear leg/foot a bit quicker.

That's way better. You're turning back, getting that shift from behind load, and not spinning freely around the brace leg.

The weirdness in your arm is because you're not quite getting onto the front leg in the right balance...I see you're getting a little jammed up and over it, but nothing like what was happening before. I'd check if you are balanced left-right on the plant leg...I have a feeling the leg may be a bit too to the left of the teepad. Also in your backswing your spine tilts toward your back foot too much...think of a golf swing and how the spine is more upright the whole time. A smaller back-forward load and more tension feeling will make it easier to feel in balance/tight/in control during these one step or standstill throws. If you pause at your backswing you can see how you're way back over the rear leg and the front leg is floating forwards angled ahead...you should feel like you're more ready to drop onto the front leg.

Hips are spinning out before heel plants/weight shifts forward.

^Yeah.

This video by Clement is what helped me most on this. I watched it lots of times before it finally clicked. You must "SETTLE IT". Let the weight fall and settle completely onto that plant leg. Do not throw until that happens.

Note where the top of the backswing is and how to "settle it" from behind you, and how you aren't supposed to turn around in front (until the weight has shifted from behind you onto the plant leg):

Best Down Swing Weightshift: Esp. 1:35 on
https://youtu.be/0CSHqnYNijw

Thanks fellas, I really do take everyone's notes/feedback to heart, and do my best to implement them in my practice sessions. Even though it doesn't always look like it :\

EDIT: New purpose in life...

Raising girls, jobs, wife, and getting a thumbs up from Sidewinder :)

Back in a few days!

getting a thumbs up from Sidewinder :)

Don't expect that until you're throwing close to 500' ;)

I get it though, every time I figure out the next step the thing I was just doing wrong suddenly looks so obvious whenever I see it, and feels terrible in comparison. And when you get that next part it feels so much simpler, like why was I trying to throw with terrible balance and forcing my body into those contortions?

Gents!

Gone for a few days, so I am just now seeing some of the diagonal shift revelations from everyone. I'm playing a bit of catch up, following all the threads I can to capitalize on the terrific conversations.

Without any practice/thought, I literally just picked up my closest disc and ran to my warehouse to give it a shot. To clarify, all of the principals I have been working on up to this point, still apply (Getting off my rear foot, shift from behind, tilted spiral...etc). The "change" if you will is the orientation of my feet relative to the target, correct?

One Step: Sorry again for the slow frame rate/warehouse lights :\

Slow X Step:

As always SW/SP/HUD and the rest of the gang the constructive feedback!

It looks tad better, stop tucking your rear arm atleast for now. That makes you look bit too robotic. Just focus on your new found swing path and swing freely. I can throw 500+ and I have never ever given two cents about my rear arm.