• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

As always I'm not great at spotting stuff from drills, so I'll just say what it seems like to me. For the dingle arm/swinging get something with at least a couple pounds weight. Hammer, wrench, full water bottle, something that will yank at your arm so you can really feel the momentum.

In the crush the can, it looks to me like you are landing in a good position with the spine angled to be caught dynamically by the brace. But then it looks like you push it over the top after being caught. If you pause at your heel down position you have that nice closed setup and the spine is angled like in the ride the bull video. Then you continue to push off the rear leg and push the spine ahead. Just land on the front leg and let the hip clear you.

Rear heel falls back on the ground and you are swinging open before you crush the can or attempt to. So both your heels are coming down at same time, instead of trading up/down heel positions. Look at where your elbow is compared to mine, and you can how much more closed my front shoulder is after the can is crushed. You only need a small sudden weight drop due to gravity to crush the can, the leg doesn't really need to bend or extend - just fall and brace yourself like from a jump, you look like you are trying to accelerate/stomp your can crush with your leg ahead of your weight/gravity which is also why the can spits out every time. Get your heel just over top the can with your leg hanging neutral from the hip and prepare to land like from a jump, gravity is what gives you weight.

g4QSrqu.png

I agree with SP you need something heavier to swing. Also try swinging back over head and keeping the shoulder closed and moving vertically inline to target back and forth, not swinging the shoulder open/around horizontally.

Afternoon,

Coming up on the 3 month mark of my backhand form overall, and I have accepted the fact that this rebuild is just going to take more time than I initially expected. Now that I have adjusted my timing expectations, it's becoming easier for me to stay patient throughout this process. Still aggravating as hell though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2OtCRqsO5U : BH from the side

https://youtu.be/cED1vxGHyuE : BH from the behind

I can't really watch it over and over, I feel like I'm going to either get a seizure or migraine from the framerate light flashing going on. But you are still late off the rear leg, that is the main problem. The way I said it in my last post is that you land and then go over the top, and it's because as SW pointed out you aren't transferring off the rear foot soon enough. You don't have the back heel down now, but the weight isn't off of the leg/foot soon enough and that enables you to push the torso/upper body over the plant.

I think crushing the can, standing on something 2-4" high on the rear leg is a good way to feel how you should get off the rear side before the front side comes down.

I also think you are drifting to the left of the teepad still. I really can't watch that video more though or I'll feel terrible for a while heh

You aren't bracing your tilted spiral on the front leg. You are crashing down over top the front leg. Much easier to work on this in standstill rather than x-step. x-step is just going to exaggerate issues and you are starting your reachback or backswing while your body is still behind/outside your rear foot, you need to be inside/infront of your rear foot so your backswing loads from inside, instead of outside.

In door frame and hershyzer drills your butt should be leading more.

BFtFGDh.png

My bad on the video quality :\ those warehouse lights and the slow frame rate do not mix well. I'll shoot in real time next go around.

Thanks SP, getting off my rear foot is my only goal right now. Gonna keep working at it.

I agree with the standstill advice. Although I still throw farther in an X-step than a standstill, I feel that in standstill I can really get my balance and sequence better and be more efficient...it feels way easier when I do it right. And more importantly I notice that I'm not getting to exactly the same place with the X-step.

Especially since you know what your issue is and the X-step makes it way harder to maintain this balance as well as the tempo affecting the sequence, so make sure you can feel the right thing from a standstill to start. Of course still have a rhythm/tempo and looseness in a standstill, don't start from being between your feet, just doing a backswing and a forward swing...make sure there is a rhythm going into the throw.

Additionally one leg throws will make it so you can't crash down overtop, yet it will show you how to be way more forward relative to the teepad and your toes than you think you should be. Then add to that feeling by getting to the same place from a standstill/off the back leg.

I agree with the arm swinging/pendulum in the one leg drill to look disconnected, not using the pump from the ground to swing the arm with the whole body connected with momentum.

In the one step, I do like how you are turning back into the rear hip and dropping down closed. This is a good basis I think.

But then you do push over the top and in front. Meaning, as SW pointed out, you are late off the rear foot so your spine is pushed ahead targetwards and your rear knee/femur is pushed around to the left of the brace, "in front" of your body.

Do a practice swing and try to land closed on the front side. Don't think rotation at all. Just stride straight to the target laterally, while turning back the pelvis like you are, and land toe-heel. When your weight comes forward the hip will clear and that will cause the rotation and you'll feel when to add to it with the arm from the power pocket. First feel the weight transfer, and let the body start the swing.

No point in posting any recent video...its still all bull#@* trying to get off my rear leg/foot.

I do have a question about the statement in bold. What exactly do you mean when you say weight comes forward? I don't think you're talking about the Hershyzer drill, because that is before/as my heel is coming down.

I do have a question about the statement in bold. What exactly do you mean when you say weight comes forward? I don't think you're talking about the Hershyzer drill, because that is before/as my heel is coming down.

By come forward I mean targetwards, to the plant leg.

Jump onto your right leg. Just land straight up and down on it, no thoughts of disc golf at all. You should naturally land upright, head over knee over toes, butt over heel.

Now jump a bit more sideways from the left leg and land on the right leg, just in balance same way.

Now, be in a moderately turned back reachback, jump from the left leg to the right leg. Land the same way but your body should be turned back still. Try again with that "from behind" feel, so when you land on the front leg you're even more back than when you left your rear leg. This is an exaggeration but you can feel it.

Finally, once you land on the front leg you should feel your leg/knee want to rebound you back up after accepting your weight. This is when it's time to forward swing. Just do a little hop, and feet maybe a few inches more than shoulder width. This may hopefully help you feel a tempo.

By come forward I mean targetwards, to the plant leg.

Jump onto your right leg. Just land straight up and down on it, no thoughts of disc golf at all. You should naturally land upright, head over knee over toes, butt over heel.

Now jump a bit more sideways from the left leg and land on the right leg, just in balance same way.

Now, be in a moderately turned back reachback, jump from the left leg to the right leg. Land the same way but your body should be turned back still. Try again with that "from behind" feel, so when you land on the front leg you're even more back than when you left your rear leg. This is an exaggeration but you can feel it.

Finally, once you land on the front leg you should feel your leg/knee want to rebound you back up after accepting your weight. This is when it's time to forward swing. Just do a little hop, and feet maybe a few inches more than shoulder width. This may hopefully help you feel a tempo.
It's what I really need to work on too. I think this drill will help.

It's what I really need to work on too. I think this drill will help.

Agree. This puts the focus on a specific task, kicking the can with the front foot swing, rather than what you need to with the rear foot. Just maintain your balance on the rear foot to swing the front foot/kick the can and your rear foot should automatically do what it supposed to do. The rear foot should get pulled off the ground from the kick swing momentum having started/accelerated from the foot in the ground.

Not good with drills....but that looks good to me. Get the same landing feeling on the front leg without needing to stride as far. Then swing after you land. Also then just land in balance rather than keeping the head down.

Swing further back and make it all one fluid motion so you start going forward while swing back away. You swing back pause, then move forward.

Daughter does soccer practice, while dad looks like a clown practicing disc golf :thmbup:

I know this isn't right, but I like posting %@$# vids so that you all can keep pushing me in the right direction. A very humbling experience indeed :)

You can see me kind of...push/slide target-ward as I plant. The only way I can describe it is that it's as if I am trying to get my hip onto my plant leg.

One aspect I see is that you are getting to your full reachback/turnback before the rear butt moves forward which makes it hard to stay balanced and makes it easy to collapse the upper arm like you are doing here. In theory the rear butt moves targetward simultaneously as you turn back. That's the "from behind you" weight shift.

jHQjfzs.png

Last edited:
"Trying to get your hip onto your plant leg" sounds right, but your upper body is doing the wrong things...you're thinking about throwing. You're getting to the plant leg while already tossing your upper body at the target and it's folding over as it lands, probably going way left of the plant leg as well in the behind view. Got to land closed and pretty turned back and trust that you will be allowed to rotate through on the leg...don't try to make it happen early or in front of you. It's way later. Just land on that leg in balance and let the throw happen.

Keep your chin up stacked above your shoulders, so everything in the spine is neutral and your shoulders can rotate more underneath the chin. Your chin is buried down = bad posture restricting turn.