• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

Probably should have asked this some time ago, but when you say my front foot is "spinning out" do you mean that as my heel is coming down my toe is spinning to an open position? Sorry for the silly question!

Yes, that pre-rotation kills all your leverage/resistance into the front hip. Should be turning closed late, as in the door frame drill, and dropping straight down. Once the hip is too internally rotated from the weight transfer, it will clear open and the foot will have to rotate.

That definitely shows your issues. On the backswing you can rotate your pelvis and let your rear leg move with the pelvis...the heel will likely come down and may touch the ground. This is fine. Don't overly restrict yourself with the back foot, just don't consciously put weight on it and/or use it to push from.

Right now you are snapping the towel "at" the target, not through it. There is no leverage, it's a weak flick. If you try to backhand a board karate-like out in front of you, your hand would stop dead on the board because you aren't going through it. You're going to it and that's it.

I am bad with fixing drills, SW22 is great at it. But what I can see other than not backswinging correctly, is you are crouching/squatting as you are coming into the power pocket and not firming up/extending the leg to swing through. The leg needs to extend to get on top of the hip and clear it back out of the way. Right now you are squatting into it, it's stopping you dead, and you're getting jammed up and unable to follow through.

Let yourself swing with more speed, the follow through should pull you around. If you are way off balance while following through, that's what this drill is meant to expose. But try with more momentum, so that you have to extend the plant leg and use the left side, as in left leg and arm, to counterbalance the throw through the hit point.

Edit: The arm angle looks nice and wide, but when you are letting yourself swing through your torso will help turn open so the arm isn't in such a straight line to the target. But you aren't collapsing it that I can see.

Last edited:
Looks like you are setup in a good position.

Not a fan of the towel - you can't leverage a towel or feel its weight as it is non-ridgid and moves all around and becomes disconnected from you. Much better off with a hammer or pipe or stick or bat, some kind of lever and going slow and smooth and rhythmic and let the object suspend up at the top of the backswing and top of the forward swing(don't swing all the way through - perpetual swing back and forth mirrored). Your upper arm should be like heavy wet towel hanging from your shoulder socket, so you can still do this without anything in your hand at all or even just using a disc - all of those are options are better than a towel.

Your front leg is too bent in setup. Lift your toes slightly inside your shoes and put the pressure on the mid foot/heel, so your ankle is bolted into the ground and knee and hip stack in neutral joint alignment to the ankle and chin supported through it all. This should also pivot you on centered on your heel instead of you spinning out and around your instep.

With the arm you need to relax it. Let it hang and swing back and forth in the setup, use a full pre-swing before the backswing. You are trying to manufacture some arm position in a static setup. You need to setup more dynamic and swinging.

You should start a DGCR business where people send you fresh star Destroyers and champ Teebirds for you to practice with in the warehouse, then you can send them back after a week's of sessions for that perfectly seasoned disc...only half joking. Or at minimum get yourself some of those into your practice cycle so that once you have the big arm speed you'll have some $$ discs to bomb.

Again I can't tell you specifics from drills well, but just offer a couple tips as someone who didn't create them. In the one leg behind view, you can see that you are still going in front/around because if you watch your off-leg's knee, it wants to spin around the plant leg wider and wider. The knee is going in a super wide arc around to the target, kind of "rounding" rather than counterweighting toward the target. When you watch SW do it, his rear knee goes targetwards to the front knee, counters the momentum of the hit, and then gets pulled around in the follow through.

When you watch SW from the side, there is a small lateral move targetwards and he trusts that his left side will counterweight. I think you are too afraid to shift any weight targetward, and are just spinning freely around the plant leg axis too far back/wide of it. The drill will give you an axis, but it's a dynamic feeling axis that is enabled by a shift and then left side counterweight...not just a straight line drawn up your plant leg perpendicular to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90

In your perpetual swing, you are getting the upper arm too loose. If you watch closely, SW is maintaining basically the same left shoulder-right shoulder-right elbow angle...just like how in a throw you maintain the same upper arm angle and let the forearm swing. As well I think you are too upright/vertical stance rather than being set up more forward onto toes athletically so you have more room to swing. For example start in a one leg drill position so your weight is over the front leg and toes, then set your back foot to where it's barely offset like in a very short-width standstill shot, then start the perpetual motion swing while all your weight is on the front leg/one leg swing feel. While swinging let your feet readjust if they need to.

If I'm completely off base then SW will correct it I'm sure.

Nice heel pivot on some of those. Your upper arm is hugging yourself in the setup and using your arm to swing the disc instead of your body turning. You are holding the disc like behind your left hip with right elbow low/against body. Need to keep elbow more up and out away from body, and/or bend/tilt and turn body out of the way more. Loosen up arm more and let arm/disc hang from shoulder socket let a wet towel and use body to sling it back and forth or twirl it around.

In PM you need to turn your feet(at least rear foot) slightly more backwards/closed, so your shoulder stays closed and centered moving back and forth over front foot - not going open or left/right of foot (body in the way). Also need to use your legs some more/pump the ground and shift your weight back and forth more, and slow the swing down at the top to get acceleration at the bottom and amplify with leg pump. Also try hinging the elbow at the top. Looks like you are swinging a turkey around - lol.

In your perpetual swing, you are getting the upper arm too loose. If you watch closely, SW is maintaining basically the same left shoulder-right shoulder-right elbow angle...just like how in a throw you maintain the same upper arm angle and let the forearm swing. As well I think you are too upright/vertical stance rather than being set up more forward onto toes athletically so you have more room to swing. For example start in a one leg drill position so your weight is over the front leg and toes, then set your back foot to where it's barely offset like in a very short-width standstill shot, then start the perpetual motion swing while all your weight is on the front leg/one leg swing feel. While swinging let your feet readjust if they need to.

If I'm completely off base then SW will correct it I'm sure.
Upper Arm should be loose in PM drill, but I think he's just too upright like you mentioned, or not in correct braced tilt, which is why the upper arm angle collapses too narrow. The body is getting in the way, not the arm.

Seasoned Discs LLC., - SP we'll figure out your % cut soon :)

Was really trying to concentrate on that heel pivot, so thank you for the encouragement! Yeah, was so focused on my lower body, it got me distracted from keeping good angles with my upper body. I'll work on cleaning up the PM drill and my rounding. That "turkey" is going to have some issues after I get done with it!

Argh. Yeah, I can absolutely see what you mean when you talk about SW's small lateral move targetwards, whereas I am just spinning around. I did have ACL reconstruction in college from a football injury. While I don't consciously think about my knee, I wonder if subconsciously I'm trying to protect it? Or I'm just making an excuse as to why I'm not getting it :)

As always, I appreciate the advice from you and everyone else. Going to keep working at it.

Argh. Yeah, I can absolutely see what you mean when you talk about SW's small lateral move targetwards, whereas I am just spinning around.

Yeah if you pause the videos at the hit point and draw a line straight up the plant leg perpendicular to the ground, you go right through your shoulder. SW has his chin/head on top of the leg. So it definitely feels like you're going targetwards since the shoulder is past the foot in space, but it works out somehow. The whole countering and spine tilt thing still baffles me to think about at different times in the throw.

Morning!

Once again, a question that I should have the answer to, as it has probably been stated in many of the videos I have watched...but...

When my plant foot/heel hits the ground, are my hips still slightly closed? So my right hip is pointing about 45 degrees away from the target?

Yep, plant like you want to reverse back to the rear leg.

Seasoned Discs LLC., - SP we'll figure out your % cut soon :)

Was really trying to concentrate on that heel pivot, so thank you for the encouragement! Yeah, was so focused on my lower body, it got me distracted from keeping good angles with my upper body. I'll work on cleaning up the PM drill and my rounding. That "turkey" is going to have some issues after I get done with it!

Argh. Yeah, I can absolutely see what you mean when you talk about SW's small lateral move targetwards, whereas I am just spinning around. I did have ACL reconstruction in college from a football injury. While I don't consciously think about my knee, I wonder if subconsciously I'm trying to protect it? Or I'm just making an excuse as to why I'm not getting it :)

As always, I appreciate the advice from you and everyone else. Going to keep working at it.
The rotation of the heel (or even ball of the foot, see Paul McBeth on shorter shots) is a result of your brain protecting you from destroying your knee. It happens subconsciously.

Afternoon,

Still not getting this shift from behind :wall:

Posting a few 1 leg drills and 1 steps from today for more comments & critiques. The good news is I rarely "grip lock" anything anymore, and can hit straight shots fairly easily up to 250'.

1 Leg Drill from the side: https://youtu.be/VB5Dkgzbyu8

1 Leg Drill from the back: https://youtu.be/EgYf4HLBmWo

1 Step from the side: https://youtu.be/vmb0-JC2a1Y

1 Step from the back: https://youtu.be/FNrjCZhSyMY

I'm pretty confident I will get similar comments/critiques on these videos; hopefully after I hear and see it 534 times something will click. In the meantime, I'm always appreciative of the feedback, even if it is repetitive.

Can´t find the particular Shawn Clement video but stand sideways take a step with your left foot to the right. If you go behind your right foot = weight shift from behind and take note that everything is moving counter-clockwise as you do this (your hips, ribcage, shoulders etc.) Now do the same and take a step to the right with your left leg but go from the front, now you would be planting open and take note everything is moving clockwise.

Now try to replicate that counter-clockwise feeling with your right leg as you take a step.

Hope that helps.

In one leg drill, your arm looks really disconnected from your body. Need to learn some rhythm and turn your body/arm together through your hips. You also tilt the disc down/twisting arm in the backswing instead of maintaining the disc on hyzer plane so the disc should be above your hand at the top of the backswing.

In your one step, you aren't shifting braced to the front leg. Your rear foot is still flat on the ground when you plant the front foot and so your rear foot ends up pushing your head/spine over top the front leg/through any kind of brace. You need to get off the rear foot before you plant and land on the front with dynamic brace and tilt. You can see your head is tilted over \ so it and your spine are lined up on your rear leg, instead of the front leg /. You should feel your chin leading your nose targetward off the rear foot so everything is leading ground up from underneath you and from behind you.

This might be the one RandyC is talking about:

I agree with the arm swinging/pendulum in the one leg drill to look disconnected, not using the pump from the ground to swing the arm with the whole body connected with momentum.

In the one step, I do like how you are turning back into the rear hip and dropping down closed. This is a good basis I think.

But then you do push over the top and in front. Meaning, as SW pointed out, you are late off the rear foot so your spine is pushed ahead targetwards and your rear knee/femur is pushed around to the left of the brace, "in front" of your body.

Do a practice swing and try to land closed on the front side. Don't think rotation at all. Just stride straight to the target laterally, while turning back the pelvis like you are, and land toe-heel. When your weight comes forward the hip will clear and that will cause the rotation and you'll feel when to add to it with the arm from the power pocket. First feel the weight transfer, and let the body start the swing.

Latest posts