• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 set DG Majors

I'm just of the thought it would be nice to have. Not important, even less so if contrived, but it would be an interesting focus for the top level.

When it was 1 event, it was pretty clear.

With 2, when someone wins both it's clearly his year. When they're split, it's not so clear-cut. And with only 2, both those results will happen a lot.

It'll shake out, sooner or later, where you can say someone swept the 3 or 4 biggest events of the year. Or came 1 short of doing so.

I certainly agree that we shouldn't do it because golf does. Or any other sport. But we should look at what they do, and see if anything in those other sports can make our sport a little better.

Right, we shouldn't do it *because* golf does it. Just for a lot of reasons it would be nice to have more than 2 legit majors.

Yeah, that's the other side of the coin: We shouldn't not do it, just because golf or other sports do it, either.

THIS!! x1000!!!

It is NOT ball golf. STOP trying to make dg like ball golf PLEASE.

:doh::gross::wall::sick:

I'd like you to honestly tell me how you explain what disc golf is to those who have zero knowledge of it.

I'll tell you what I say. "It's golf, but with Frisbees."

Do you know why I say that?

Because it's golf. But with Frisbees.

:|

I'd like you to honestly tell me how you explain what disc golf is to those who have zero knowledge of it.

Yeah but just because we are a derivative game doesn't necessarily mean we need to copy what golf does in EVERY thing. Disc golf has it's own personality and we shouldn't try and reign that in because we want street cred with a bunch of stuck up golfers.

Yeah but just because we are a derivative game doesn't necessarily mean we need to copy what golf does in EVERY thing. Disc golf has it's own personality and we shouldn't try and reign that in because we want street cred with a bunch of stuck up golfers.

I haven't read Brinster's post in its entirety. (I don't have the Facebooks) But I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about street cred with golfers. We shouldn't deny that we're golf's punk little brother. That's how it will always be. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I haven't read Brinster's post in its entirety. (I don't have the Facebooks) But I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about street cred with golfers. We shouldn't deny that we're golf's punk little brother. That's how it will always be. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Interesting...I should have read the article. I still stand by what I said and I definitely land on the organic side of developing majors. I really disagree with getting rid of the World Champ tag...it's a very centric part that seems to have developed organically over a 30-40? year history.

I did agree with the sentiment that this was probably the best worlds since Portland in 2014. 2015 wasn't bad in Pittsburgh but it was just GBO 2.0 in 2016 (gag) and it was basically just another NT in 2017 (which boggles my mind because it was at the IDGC but they made it four rounds and only used one of those courses? What a tragic misstep)...it actually felt like the reigning Champ worked for and accomplished something this past weekend and I agree that it was due to making it a 5 rounder with a final day cut.

Put me down as voting against the DGPT Championships being a major, either in its current bracket format or a traditional stroke-play format. I don't believe a tournament that requires one to participate in multiple events across the country in order to qualify should be a major. Qualifying by playing well at one tournament (like the USDGC)...okay. Qualifying by playing any tournament(s) you want during the year (like Worlds)...okay. But qualifying by playing well at multiple tournaments from among a very limited list...no thanks.

I think wanting a more consistent or standardized set of majors is a good goal, but it can't be manufactured. Ball golf took decades to settle on the four tournaments they call majors. The original Grand Slam was the US Open, US Amateur, British Open and British Amateur and it came to be so because Bobby Jones made a bet that he could win all four in one year. He did it and then it became a big deal. But it still took another decade before the Masters was viewed as a "Major" in place of the amateur events. And a couple more decades still before the PGA Championships even existed.

We have one major that is 30+ years old. One that turns 20 this year, and the rest have no more than a 15 year history. I'd bet good money that in 50 years, at least one of the disc golf tournaments viewed as a major is one that doesn't even exist yet. We'll get there eventually. No need to force it.

Put me down as voting against the DGPT Championships being a major, either in its current bracket format or a traditional stroke-play format. I don't believe a tournament that requires one to participate in multiple events across the country in order to qualify should be a major. Qualifying by playing well at one tournament (like the USDGC)...okay. Qualifying by playing any tournament(s) you want during the year (like Worlds)...okay. But qualifying by playing well at multiple tournaments from among a very limited list...no thanks.

I think wanting a more consistent or standardized set of majors is a good goal, but it can't be manufactured. Ball golf took decades to settle on the four tournaments they call majors. The original Grand Slam was the US Open, US Amateur, British Open and British Amateur and it came to be so because Bobby Jones made a bet that he could win all four in one year. He did it and then it became a big deal. But it still took another decade before the Masters was viewed as a "Major" in place of the amateur events. And a couple more decades still before the PGA Championships even existed.

We have one major that is 30+ years old. One that turns 20 this year, and the rest have no more than a 15 year history. I'd bet good money that in 50 years, at least one of the disc golf tournaments viewed as a major is one that doesn't even exist yet. We'll get there eventually. No need to force it.

Agreed. The Masters became a major because of Sarazan's double eagle, the sheer prestige of the tournament created by Bobby Jones, et. al., and then the tradition. Has DG an event of this magnitude? (Besides Worlds and USDGC)

Eventually, a tournament will get there. Maple Hill, maybe the McMorial. With Worlds and USDGC in 1 and 2, then maybe the European Open will be the 3d, and the one with tradition and prestige takes the fourth position.

Guys, we really need to quit with the little sibling envy. This isn't about "copying Golf", it's about a competition structure that is proven to be commercially viable. Tennis also has a Grand Slam, but nobody brought that up. Stop worrying about what competitive structures we have in common with Golf, worry about if it's a good idea or not.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that anybody here thinks that further creating standards for the PDGA Tour is a bad thing for the sport.

Sorry, but I don't have another 50 years. I'd like to see something sooner if you don't mind. :|

No need to be cookie cutter. The USDGC and The World's are the two big ones. The winners get their names on discs. There are a bunch of other great tourneys. Let time figure it out.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that anybody here thinks that further creating standards for the PDGA Tour is a bad thing for the sport.

Of course it wouldn't do any harm. But it might be just spinning wheels if, instead of letting a 3rd and perhaps 4th event rise to that prestige, and PDGA tries to ordain 1 or 2 to that level.

I'm of the opposite opinion. If the DGPT Championship rises in stature to the point that players covet and fans admire the accomplishment as much as the current two, and more than other events, it should be part of that highest level.

The fact that it's structured differently is appealing, to me. Instead of 3 or 4 similar events, I'm impressed if a player can win 3 or 4 different, top-level events. Including the path to winning them.

As time goes on, the bulk of the players capable of winning a Grand Slam or Triple Crown will be touring full-time, anyway. Acknowledging that we're not quite there yet; particularly for Europeans who can travel for particular events, but not stay on tour, overseas, for half a year.

With a sidebar that the PDGA has made other uses of the word "Major". For this type of discussion, we either need a different name for the events that would make up a Grand Slam, or for the PDGA to come up with another name in place of the current "majors", which are the biggest pro, or amateur, or collegiate, or (sometimes) continental, doubles, or older-player events.

Sure, like you I say it's kinda like golf with frisbees. But I also explain how it's far superior.

Disc golf has a life of its own now and there's no point in further emulating the inferior sport/game from which it derived.

Of course it wouldn't do any harm. But it might be just spinning wheels if, instead of letting a 3rd and perhaps 4th event rise to that prestige, and PDGA tries to ordain 1 or 2 to that level.

I understand your point, and in theory I agree, but in reality I think it's more 50/50. A quality event that players appreciate and is media friendly in my book has 2 of the 4 things already. The other 2 are time AND PDGA christening.

Maybe the line here is where we disagree, but 3/4 is good enough to market going forward. Wait until you see what some of the media crews have in store over the next 1-25 months. If you give us something to hype, we will take it to that level. If the Event itself is quality, and the PDGA blesses it, I think that's plenty enough to get it started...then time just makes it better.

With a sidebar that the PDGA has made other uses of the word "Major". For this type of discussion, we either need a different name for the events that would make up a Grand Slam, or for the PDGA to come up with another name in place of the current "majors", which are the biggest pro, or amateur, or collegiate, or (sometimes) continental, doubles, or older-player events.

yep this. there are way too many "minor majors". heck, almost no one outside of texas attends national doubles and that is a 'major".

yep this. there are way too many "minor majors". heck, almost no one outside of texas attends national doubles and that is a 'major".

*cough* World Doubles *cough*

And Amateur at that. It hasn't been National Doubles since it was still an A-tier...and they let pros have a turn. ;)

Something to consider, define what a major should be? If it's organic, an event that grew out of stature, then USDGC doesn't come anywhere close to the Masters at De La. It was built to be a major in the first place. Indeed, Jussie's European events are the same, he built them in such a way so he could call them majors. So complaining about growing something doesn't mean much, or at least that's how it seems to me.

This: "PDGA Major Events are the premier national and international competitions for the sport of disc golf each year, featuring the world's best disc golfers competing for World and National Titles in multiple skill, age, and gender-based divisions. These PDGA marquee events offer any city or town the chance to host an international sporting event in their community, drawing interest and attention to the location, and generating a significant economic impact for local businesses." doesn't cut it. Well, except the international part.

IMO, The PDGA should come up with a short, or long list of things that a Major should have, just like they've done for NTs, and of course, those things should supercede what an NT has to offer. You'd probably want to make sure that the USDGC, an event that I would call the most prestigious in the world, falls into those definitions. Of course, that would annoy the Innova boys, writing out a list of things that the USDGC has to live up to, even if it is meant to include them, but that wouldn't be anything new. Keep in mind, I play almost exclusively Innova so that isn't a rip on Innova, simply an observation of past events.

From there, you have to meet those criteria, one of which should be that all of the criteria have been met for several years, and that there is a structure in place to continue to meet them into the future. That would mean that on and off again events, like AO, and EO don't meet the criteria. Yes, to be a major you should have a history and should have the commitment to build a long term event, like Masters and USDGC have done.

It should include a world attendance. If you're arguing that you're a major, you should be able to attract... the world.

I understand wanting to include the World's as a major, but it should be separate. Possibly higher than majors. It's a unique event that doesn't fit into my definition of a major. Yes, I think it should be more.

Last edited:

Latest posts