• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

7 Mold/25 Disc Limit

You can't limit discs. You could easily lose 20 discs on 1 island green. What then, you have to go home?

Yea, I would just wipe the stamp from everything. OK TD tell me if this is a TL or TD or Teebird. I forget. This will never happen, too hard to enforce. I know tourny players that have no discs with ink. Never been stroked.

if you lose all 50 disc you have to go home anyways... you cant play with zero discs.

I was thinking that if you lost 20 discs in a row, then you shouldn't be throwing them, especially in a tournament. and then you should go home and start putting puzzles together instead.

its a lot cheaper when you lose twenty pieces of cardboard, rather than plastic.

Last edited:
if you lose all 50 disc you have to go home anyways... you cant play with zero discs.

Star restricting number of discs then eventually someone else wants to reduce that number further.... maybe eventually it turns into a one disc tourney where everybody throws the same thing like stock car racing:thmbdown:

I hear you, however just because you are your skill doesnt mean all the people below you are. Much of your winnings comes from less skilled players hoping to play the first round with a top tier player.

If you lose all 3 putters for what ever reason your tournament/roudn might be over. There are tons of ways to lose discs in a round whether it be water, rough off the fairway, poor design, a squirrel steals them, your bag tips over and all your discs roll into a river (THIS HAPPENS) It is silly to say, ok go home. It is also silly to let chance (wind, water clarity, rough thickness, roll aways, randomness of a disc sticking in a tree, leaf coverage, density of spotters) determine whether someone wins or loses a tournament. Sure these lost discs add strokes, but it should not be additional penalty for later shots where that disc's flight is needed because you are unable to carry a backup. Maybe losing all 50 discs (if they dont roll into a river) is extreme...but losing 3-4 isnt. That happens often. Without the ability to have a backup, you penalize a player the rest of the round. Some players can only throw backhand...they only need 4 discs to be 1020 rated. Some players throw BH, FH , Thumbers, Tommy etc and need 40 discs to do that. Some players are so good or so indecisive or need a million options to feel confident that they need 40 discs. Who cares. Who does it hurt? You are able do to more with 4 discs than I can with 4 discs, but I am closer to you in skill level with 15 options than 4. Having more molds, more discs in your bag leads to more back ups, more purchasing of discs. It grows the sport and puts more money in your pocket as manufacturers sales grow. Sure limiting molds and discs helps the more talented players play better against their competition, you can do more with less, its why you are rated so highly...but it slows down the growth and competition in the sport. If you know you can only carry 7 molds for example. Why would you try out a new one from a new company knowing that it might be months or years before they offer it in varying plastics to create different flight characteristics...

golf has limits on clubs. It is VERY rare to break a club. Also the difference between a 3 iron and 4 iron is very small compared to even similar speed discs, leopard, Teebird, TL, Firebird. Thats 4 molds there I would submit really varying flight paths. What do you do if you lose your firebird? Make a Teebird fly like that, it doesnt work. Disc golf is great because of how much work a disc can do, the extreme fades, turns, skips, stops that you can make a disc do. There isn't another comparable sport. Ball golf doesnt even work.

Its ridiculous anyway. We can't even get TD's to enforce dress code, drug use, drinking, courtesy violations. Really we think there is going to be a disc check-in to verify...No that definitely is a TL AND a Teebird ... thats 8 molds.

Last edited:
^^You don't have to go home if you lose all your discs, just buy some more from whoever is selling them at the tourny :)

we should definitely be able to limit the number of discs carried during a tourney round!!!!!

we should definitely be able to limit the number of discs carried during a tourney round!!!!!

Couldn't disagree more. Way too many differences in courses (water, rules, etc) to limit things like this.

Limit discs is cool, limit molds not so much. I couldn't build a bg with 7 molds. Shoot I carry 3 putter molds and 3 mid molds. I'd have 1 driver. But I can see limiting the total number.

Not a knock on anyone, but how about getting rid of caddies?

no, we should limit it. It brings alot more into the game and makes you be able to do more shots with a variety of discs and doesnt make you lean on one disc that does this amazing thing for you, you have to be able to use all your discs in a variety of shots. Make a flippy disc act stable things like this

Couldn't disagree more. Way too many differences in courses (water, rules, etc) to limit things like this.

but thats why you have to come up with a reasonable number. It will make you think how to play a hole rather than just throw a disc and know that its a water discs and doesnt matter if i lose it, now you would have decide how to approach a hole with water on it that you struggle with

no, we should limit it. It brings alot more into the game and makes you be able to do more shots with a variety of discs and doesnt make you lean on one disc that does this amazing thing for you, you have to be able to use all your discs in a variety of shots. Make a flippy disc act stable things like this
Great point but why? I have a beat Leo for annys, a qolf for hard hyzers, a summit for soft anny lines and long putts. I am clearly one to have a disc out of the box do what I want. Limiting molds especially would hinder players with similar approaches to their bags. Can I make my discs do other things, sure, but in today's market with all the discs available, why limit it. I think number of discs could work.

I do agree that the more discs, the less skill involved to play. For example. I wish I could carry more than 14 clubs playing golf. It's way easier having every degree of wedge and being to swing full a lot more than having touch.

But there are too many courses where the chances of losing a disc (mainly water on a lot of holes) is way too high to have a limit on discs. You can't really compare this to the 14 club rule because the disc acts as the ball and club and even when you splash a golf ball, the club is still there.

On the top level it woulnd't matter to much. But on recreational and intermediate levels, people literally could have tournaments ruined by this rule.

There are different rules for Amateur and Pro events in golf – I could see where pro divisions had limits and amateur divisions didn't. Not saying I would support it, but just saying I could see something like this.

Destroyers (8D, SDS, *DS)
Firebirds (Gummy, Stiff, 11x, 12x)
Eagles (Ls and Xs)
Meteors (Z and Esp)
Rocs (Roc3, Star Rancho, KC, DX)
APXs (SOFT!)

So around 17discs with 6 molds.

I do agree that the more discs, the less skill involved to play. For example. I wish I could carry more than 14 clubs playing golf. It's way easier having every degree of wedge and being to swing full a lot more than having touch.

But there are too many courses where the chances of losing a disc (mainly water on a lot of holes) is way too high to have a limit on discs. You can't really compare this to the 14 club rule because the disc acts as the ball and club and even when you splash a golf ball, the club is still there.

On the top level it woulnd't matter to much. But on recreational and intermediate levels, people literally could have tournaments ruined by this rule.

There are different rules for Amateur and Pro events in golf – I could see where pro divisions had limits and amateur divisions didn't. Not saying I would support it, but just saying I could see something like this.

i think more to what i am comparing it to is that in tournaments golfers only have a certain number of balls they can use per round

and i completely understand how it could be tough on lower levels

i think more to what i am comparing it to is that in tournaments golfers only have a certain number of balls they can use per round

That is true. And why does anyone know this rule?

Tin Cup.

Depending on the course, that throw into water is an OB stroke, OB stroke + distance, OB stroke + distance of a drop zone. That is the penalty in a tournament. Thats what makes consistent players lay-up, the additional stroke/distance. The additional confidence with the water disc, in most cases, will lead to a lost disc AND the OB strokes anyway. There is not a benefit to limiting the number of discs played with. In the end you just get players playing more conservative not because of the fear of losing the disc forever, but because the fear of not having that type of shot available in your bag. Very few people can even make a disc do 1 thing consistently.

You referenced water, which is an uncommon risk. Randomly sliding into a hole in the woods or under some leaves loses way more discs in tournaments. Standing at the tee box you dont make the decision you referenced. Most people don't carry a "slid under leaves in the middle of a fairway" disc...or a "this disc might sit up verticle in the grass and no one will see it disc". Those are random penalties that no planning or additional discs can prepare for. They are far more common. Limiting discs increases the value and penalty of chain outs and roll aways near water, and random chance from general play.

Im going to add this to my long list of why I'll probably never declare pro.