• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] All things DGA thread.

Had a great day yesterday with the all DGA bag. Played a new 9 hole course that actually has a few trees. I hit 'em all! I'll reserve any negative judgement until after I get used to the new discs and they break in a touch but I love the Breaker and the RDGA Squall 147g. The D Aftershock was for me as Shredded said above, although I only threw it a couple of times. The Undertow is much like my Star Valkyrie was when new and I'm good with that.

The RDGA Squall was great for the 2 low straight 200 ft skip shots I needed at Benedict Park. If AndyJB's reading, thanks for the hole tips on the course but I still had to take off my pants on #2. :eek:

Still digging the DGA lineup. 255 ft steep uphill ace with the Undertow today (2nd disc thrown but still a kick in the pants).

I was thinking about getting a Hurricane but I don't believe I have the arm for it. On the football field with no wind my best distance disc is a DX Wraith 167g which I can get out to 350 ft about 1 in 3 tries (sometimes further if you measure a straight line from my throwing position to where it lands in the parking lot I grip locked it to). I threw a friends Z Nuke SS's today and got nice long "S" flights when released flat, but I don't know the distance. I get no turn out of my Proline Rogue unless I throw it like a maniac OAT monster.

I don't really need a Hurricane but I wanted to round out my DGA collection unless the Hurricane is a waste of time and money for me. Can anyone provide some comparisons for me? 1st run more understable? I read all both Hurricane threads.

bump for more love!

And to respond to Logan, the Rogue could fill your Wraith slot. And if you step up to 12 speeds, the Hurricane is an excellent main driver.

Are the wraith and rogue that similar? I've never heard anyone say they were similar. I just assumed it was a less stable tsunami.

Are the wraith and rogue that similar? I've never heard anyone say they were similar. I just assumed it was a less stable tsunami.

Should be somewhat close, the Rogue is a variation of the Surge/SS mold isn't it? So the specs should be close to a Wraith or Krait.

They're very similar. Unless you throw overstable Wraiths; I'm not sure Rogues come as overstable as Wraiths do.

Ahh a DGA thread... finally!
I have played with a SP Hurricane since the beginnig of this season and it is now very straight with some good healthy fade. Just pure joy! Easy the most reliable Distance driver I have ever user, and I used many!
What I need is an understable Hurricane since this SP is not in a rush to loose that much stability in the near future.
Yes I know, youll all say Proline, but I have a few of those and they just dont
throw like the SP. I bought a 173 flat Proline and I dont think that even the Nuke OS could compete with that disc. Its so glideless and overstable that its completely useless (for me).
So I got a 167 with a little dome that Ive beaten in, but it still lacks the glide of the SP.
Am I missing something or is the Proline just a glideless (overstble) brick?

If you don't like the flat one anyway tune it to get a lower PLH. Also, if you scrub Proline with baking soda and a green pot scrubber sponge thingy it knocks that slickness off. It feels like a different plastic; more pliable and grippy. I found out by scrubbing artificial turf rubber stains off my first Hurricane.

How does the PLH of your 167 Proline compare to that of your SP? I have one oddball Proline with a high PLH that is a turd for me.

If you don't like the flat one anyway tune it to get a lower PLH. Also, if you scrub Proline with baking soda and a green pot scrubber sponge thingy it knocks that slickness off. It feels like a different plastic; more pliable and grippy. I found out by scrubbing artificial turf rubber stains off my first Hurricane.

How does the PLH of your 167 Proline compare to that of your SP? I have one oddball Proline with a high PLH that is a turd for me.

Ohh my I see what you mean, now that Im comparing my SP and Proline the
PLH of the Proline is way higher. I mean by 2-3 mm. That would explain the
overstability.
But how bout the lack of glide? Is that caused by the flatness?

An SP Rogue can be similar. Not as overstable as the beefiest wraiths, but they still have some good high speed stability, with a fade that isn't too drastic. Proline Rogues are generally flippier.

Ohh my I see what you mean, now that Im comparing my SP and Proline the
PLH of the Proline is way higher. I mean by 2-3 mm. That would explain the
overstability.
But how bout the lack of glide? Is that caused by the flatness?

Probably both the lack of dome and high PLH kill the glide. I bag 3, 4 if it's really windy:
Flat Proline, normal PLH. My go to.
Moderate dome Proline, normal PLH. Slight headwinds or max distance flex shot.
Moderate dome SP, normal PLH. Moderate headwinds.
Flat Proline, high PLH. 20+MPH headwinds.

I'd love a lighter weight SP Hurricane, like 165ish. For many DGA molds I think SP flies better than Proline, especially Squall and Undertow.

Ahh a DGA thread... finally!
I have played with a SP Hurricane since the beginnig of this season and it is now very straight with some good healthy fade. Just pure joy! Easy the most reliable Distance driver I have ever user, and I used many!
What I need is an understable Hurricane since this SP is not in a rush to loose that much stability in the near future.
Yes I know, youll all say Proline, but I have a few of those and they just dont
throw like the SP. I bought a 173 flat Proline and I dont think that even the Nuke OS could compete with that disc. Its so glideless and overstable that its completely useless (for me).
So I got a 167 with a little dome that Ive beaten in, but it still lacks the glide of the SP.
Am I missing something or is the Proline just a glideless (overstble) brick?

They are getting harder to find now, but the First Flight Proline Hurricanes with the 2011 Worlds stamp are what you are looking for. I don't know what it is about them, but they have the best glide out of almost any disc I have ever thrown.

Hi guys

I was offered an AM Worlds Proline Hurricane from 2011. I have some of the newer run but they are really overstable allmost no glide.
Ive heared that the first run hurricanes are less stable and have a lot more glide than the new runs.
What confuse me a little is that the first run (First Flight) was labled Pro Worlds so now the question is:
Does the AM Worlds Proline Hurricane have the same glide and stability that the Pro Worlds have?

Hmmm. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable regarding Hurricanes, and I can't say I've thrown an AM Worlds one. It would almost definitely be less overstable than the current run simply because those things are bricks (which I love). I loved the Pro Worlds ones because of how much glide they have. Do you happen to know what color it is? And a profile pic would help as well. The current runs of hurricanes have a fairly high parting line, while the Worlds ones were a bit lower if I remember correctly.

Probably both the lack of dome and high PLH kill the glide. I bag 3, 4 if it's really windy:
Flat Proline, normal PLH. My go to.
Moderate dome Proline, normal PLH. Slight headwinds or max distance flex shot.
Moderate dome SP, normal PLH. Moderate headwinds.
Flat Proline, high PLH. 20+MPH headwinds.

I'd love a lighter weight SP Hurricane, like 165ish. For many DGA molds I think SP flies better than Proline, especially Squall and Undertow.

Noob question, but what exactly is PLH?

PLH stands for Parting Line Height. It is wear the top part of the mold meets the bottom part. It basically looks like a seam going around the outside of the disc. For drivers, a general rule is that the higher the parting line, the more overstable the disc. It can vary slightly even in the same mold, which is part of the reason why some discs that are the same mold will fly very differently.

Hmmm. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable regarding Hurricanes, and I can't say I've thrown an AM Worlds one. It would almost definitely be less overstable than the current run simply because those things are bricks (which I love). I loved the Pro Worlds ones because of how much glide they have. Do you happen to know what color it is? And a profile pic would help as well. The current runs of hurricanes have a fairly high parting line, while the Worlds ones were a bit lower if I remember correctly.

Actually the PHL is lower than the current run, so theres hope.
Here is the only picture I got of it...
http://imgur.com/ityxPkU

Aren't the Am Worlds Hurricanes SP plastic?

Now that you mention it, they are in SP plastic, but that picture is definitely Proline.. I am beyond confused now :confused: haha. The SP Hurricanes always have a mark on them that says SP. If the price on it is right, I would say go for it.

Sure looks like Proline. I was able to find one more picture of what appears to be a Proline Am Worlds on the interwebs. I wish Shasta Criss would hang out with us for a while and dump his brain information.

I have 5 Proline Hurricanes but no 1st runs. I'd hate to get addicted to those, but I'm tempted to get one for comparison.