• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Anyone throwing the new G* Firebirds? I picked one up last week and really like it. A little less stable out of the box than the Champs I usually throw. Seems like it'll fit nicely next to my stupid overstable glo champ firebird.

Loving my G* FB! It kicked my sweet-spotted 11x out of the bag immediately. Paired it with a firm FAF champ and haven't looked back yet. Thinking about ordering a few backups in case they don't come out the same for the production run.

So far, these are pure money.

150 Class Firebirds are awesome. I bought a 156 Champion Firebird about two months ago & its great. Its great for overhand shots & its way better in the wind than I was expecting. Its the only disc in my bag that weighs less than 170. For a couple years I always carried two max weight Champion Firebirds. I carried a FAF one & a moderately domey one. Now I carry a 156 one & a max weight moderately domey one. I have a stack of max weight Champ Firebirds but Im going to start getting back ups for my 156 one now.

was using a well seasoned star firebird for a while. ended up losing it a few weeks ago.

now i replaced it with a fresh star firebird. and i forgot about the awesome skip they have. and how beefy it really is.

i also picked up a pearly champ firebird 8.5/10 at PIAS and those skip way harder and are even beefier than the star firebirds! i think a star and a champ are going to both stay in the bag for a little while

Threw the most insane shot with a FAF 12x last Saturday. Two shots in and I'm still in the schule. There's a narrow window for a ~70 meter S-curve to the basket, no other lines available. There's no way to get a backhand in there so I grab the FB, and smash a half-tomahawk through the window, releasing around 10 o'clock, to have it skip on its flightplate and make the turn back to the left. Lo and behold, a 4 meter putt ensues.

Other than just bragging about that crazy trouble shot, I wanted to make a point that whenever I need irrational lines that are nearly impossible, the 12x Champ seems to deliver.

So I have a max weight CFR glow firebird, it's by far the most stable disc I've thrown. I typically can throw a 350-400ft forehand roller with a firebird.. I tried it twice with this mofo and it refused to roll, would give me an anhyzer forehand instead. I might have to look into using it overhand or not at all. I got it to roll on the third try by changing my mechanics, but I still can't believe how hard it was to get it down on the ground~

Does anyone have similar experiences with these being super stable? These are way more stable than any FAF 11x birds I have thrown..

Yeah, the new FAF runs are quite a bit more OS than the pancake 11x run. Mine doesn't roll well either...

I pretty much only forehand roll with my FAF firebirds. Get the angle right and it'll do whatever you want. The super stability really seems to help.

Question for you firebird enthusiasts - what plastic should I grab for my first firebird? I am not quite needing one yet as my gstar teebird is stable enough at my noodle arm in all but the beefiest headwinds, but I want to keep an eye out as I am picky in my colors. I don't want anything hard to find (and replace) or OOP, so what production firebird should I grab? Since i don't need it now, should I wait a bit and see if they run production gstar? Also - what weight should I grab. I prefer my teebirds at ~165-167, should I get the same for the firebird?

Thanks

Question for you firebird enthusiasts - what plastic should I grab for my first firebird? I am not quite needing one yet as my gstar teebird is stable enough at my noodle arm in all but the beefiest headwinds, but I want to keep an eye out as I am picky in my colors. I don't want anything hard to find (and replace) or OOP, so what production firebird should I grab? Since i don't need it now, should I wait a bit and see if they run production gstar? Also - what weight should I grab. I prefer my teebirds at ~165-167, should I get the same for the firebird?

Thanks

i would say keep the weight the same. and star/gstarrr will glide more to get you more distance and just be overstable. thats what my noodle arm uses. champ firebirds are more of a utility disc as they are stupid overstable.

so my vote is star/gstarrr

Thanks

I love the champ, it beats in slow and I can get it out the in the 350-380 range with pinpoint accuracy. Based on your specs though try a G*, it's probably the least of a meat hook.

Thanks

I've got a 170 Star that I like a lot. It's going back in my bag, booting a high-PLH S-PD, and pairing with my FAF 12x Champ, which is the stupidest disc ever. By stupid, I mean Simon Lizotte could throw it into a tornado and it would laugh and immediately hyzer into the ground. It's essentially a midrange that goes somewhere between 200 and 250 feet and then just falls out of the sky.
The star will basically ride straight into the wind, but still have that healthy fade. Holds a sweet hyzer line too, without being too dumpy. If you go with champ, get one with a little dome. The flat ones are insane.

so excited just got my first firebird! been putting it off for a while now and finally did it. 170g star original mold. Gotta get up super early before work to give'r a rip. Whoop whoop!

I'd get a Champ and start beating it in. At first it will be best suited for FH and especially OH. Understand that to start with it will fade immediately out of your hand thrown BH. Find the stiffest flattest one you can find. 165-169 are very desirable, that is what I throw, they are much easier on the arm. In 3+ years of playing, I've never had one flip even in 40 mph winds.

Went out this morning with it for the first time and only had one bad throw, released a little early on a hyzer line, it was super consistent and I was able to park it 4 different holes. I'll look for a champ one but i don't think the guy who sells innova in town has any.

Latest posts