• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Anyone here use a Firebird for a long time & then replace it totally with an FD3, Felon, Motion or Raptor type disc?

yes i used to bag fb then switched to motion

now i actually dont carry anything in that slot

motion only gets bagged these days for trick shots and for fun

ive found either i can cover that line with a fresh z wasp or a champ wraith

The dynamic duo: Modern flat firebird, and beat 11x. No need for domey firebirds.
There are three runs that stand out to me, in order of most favorite: 2012ish Opaque FAF, 2019 Flat and Pearly, 2012 Pearly FAF.
Imo those three runs are the only real firebirds, everything else just wishes it was.

Anyone here use a Firebird for a long time & then replace it totally with an FD3, Felon, Motion or Raptor type disc?

I've tried all but the Motion (my luck with stable to OS overmold drivers has been really bad, something to do with my natural hyzer release I think), and am using an ESP Raptor right now in the FB slot.
The Felon was too prone to flipping randomly, plus Trilogy plastic is awful for someone who hits trees as often as I do.
The FD3 wasn't OS enough for me to use in the FB slot, while at the same time being too OS for the OS control slot (think penned Star ThB).
I was primarily using Star FBs by the time I switched from FBs to the Raptor, as I had lost 50'+ of FH distance so a Champ FB was too beefy for me, though it made a great FH roller disc.
I have a FR Z Raptor as well and it flies nearly the same, but the ESP plastic feels better for FHs and BHs than Z in the Raptor mold for some reason. The Raptors seem to have similar HSS to a FB, but with less LSS (think 0,3 flight instead of 0,4 with and additional glide number). I forgot my bag in my car which I dropped off at a repair shop, and a Champ FB was a comparable stand in, but it was a FAF Luster that was more beef than I was used too.

TL;DR The Raptor is less OS than a typical Champ/Star FB, but it works for me.

Picked up this Halo Star Firebird yesterday. Seems to have more dome than any other one I've tried.
HaloStarFB.jpg

The dynamic duo: Modern flat firebird, and beat 11x. No need for domey firebirds.
There are three runs that stand out to me, in order of most favorite: 2012ish Opaque FAF, 2019 Flat and Pearly, 2012 Pearly FAF.

I'm familiar with the 2012 opaque FAF (no, not flat and firm as people this days think it means) and 2019 flat and pearly. got a pic of 2012 pearly FAF?

I respect your opinion, I just hate that my favorite run is unlikely to be replicated.

Attached photos; the Red ones (left) is a 2015 Pearly FB almost perfect and actually with a microscopically higher PLH than the actual 2012 FAF on the right. Slightly taller overall and less firm than the FAF though.

The pink are more recent runs left is a 2017 domey JL. Low PLH, basically an Eagle X at this point. Right is a 2019 pearly one which is flat and very nice. These are similar to the 2015 run in almost every way, but they sold out super quick in heavy weights. I was only able to get this one over 170.

The last pic is the red FAF with what I consider to be its modern equivalent, the Neutron Flare. All three runs so far have been super similar to the FAFs even if they are a touch softer.

Attachments

• D16489AA-CF38-4778-B1B5-57288AB9A970.jpg
    D16489AA-CF38-4778-B1B5-57288AB9A970.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 54
  • FAC23E13-BCAF-4BE0-9B18-3DC7D201E063.jpg
    FAC23E13-BCAF-4BE0-9B18-3DC7D201E063.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 0FB90969-A338-419D-9C4A-B1652803CCB9.jpg
    0FB90969-A338-419D-9C4A-B1652803CCB9.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 52
I'm familiar with the 2012 opaque FAF (no, not flat and firm as people this days think it means) and 2019 flat and pearly. got a pic of 2012 pearly FAF?

Unfortunately, they're all locked up in storage at the moment. Practically identical profile and PLH as the opaque ones, but in the same plastic as the 3rd run PDs. I even managed to score some with some metal flake in them.

Picked up this Halo Star Firebird yesterday. Seems to have more dome than any other one I've tried.
HaloStarFB.jpg

That is super disappointing... I was about to order one but I don't want another domey Firebird.

I was curious, I bought a used firebird that was champion plastic, but it was SUPER opaque and gummy (but was still medium stiffness), the disc was fully opaque maroon. It had a F2 stamp on it. I recently lost it and would love to replace it, but I have no idea what run or what kind of plastic that would feel like that. Unfortunately I don't have memory of what the back looked like markings wise. Anyone know what run/plastic that would've been.

I was curious, I bought a used firebird that was champion plastic, but it was SUPER opaque and gummy (but was still medium stiffness), the disc was fully opaque maroon. It had a F2 stamp on it. I recently lost it and would love to replace it, but I have no idea what run or what kind of plastic that would feel like that. Unfortunately I don't have memory of what the back looked like markings wise. Anyone know what run/plastic that would've been.

Can you compare its flight to a different Firebird or disc that you're familiar with? The plastic might not be the exact same but one of us should be able to point you in the right direction of emulating the flight of your lost one. I'd say get a Gstar or Star, they typically start less overstable than new Champs or Luster.

Can you compare its flight to a different Firebird or disc that you're familiar with? The plastic might not be the exact same but one of us should be able to point you in the right direction of emulating the flight of your lost one. I'd say get a Gstar or Star, they typically start less overstable than new Champs or Luster.

Honestly, I'm not as curious about the disc replacement, as I was about getting something in that plastic. That was my favorite feeling disc by far. The flight of the disc wasn't anything I can't replace. It was Overstable, but workably so to the point where I could put it out on big hyzer lines and it wouldn't dump hard, but it was definitely overstable, but also throw it straight and let it glide a bit until it started fading. But it was also used and beat in so I imagine that played a part in it. I don't like the feeling of star all that much because it seems slick to me (as does the newer champ FB I have that's hard and stiff). I got a Lucid X felon to try out, since I heard it was similar. But I want that piece of plastic back hahah.

It was definitely older so I was wondering if the plastic from the "twelve time" or somewhat older molds would feel similar.

Don't quote me on this but IIRC they were still using the Xout stamp for misprints when the 12x was around. Definitely for the 11x...so I'm thinking general PFN, not embossed. I do know they started the F2 stamp before they started embossing molds. Unsure if it would have the website or still patent numbers, another guess would be yes patent numbers.

Someone feel free to correct me, I'm knowledgable on Firebirds but no guru.

The first couple runs of 12x still had that stamp for sure. It me it sounds like a 2008/9 nearly flat one. I've got one of these and the description is bang on.

The first couple runs of 12x still had that stamp for sure. It me it sounds like a 2008/9 nearly flat one. I've got one of these and the description is bang on.

Awesome, thanks for the Info. That sounds about right though. It was flat but not like crazy board flat. Somehow I doubt that I'll actually be able to get one of these for a reasonable price, but who knows. Really miss that disc already even though I only lost it a few months ago.

Awesome, thanks for the Info. That sounds about right though. It was flat but not like crazy board flat. Somehow I doubt that I'll actually be able to get one of these for a reasonable price, but who knows. Really miss that disc already even though I only lost it a few months ago.

Look for a pearly flat one from last year, it's very close and not very expensive.

Look for a pearly flat one from last year, it's very close and not very expensive.

Alright will do. How the hell do you identify which ones runs/era you're buying from (if it's online at least), unfortunately don't have a brick and mortar store near me....

Also would the one that I have be close to the one that says "twelve time" on it rather than 12x?

IMG_20190429_131212.jpg

So I ended up buying this one, while it doesn't exactly look the same, it's very similar, and seems like could be a similar/the same run. Was thinking of also looking at a "twelve time" one to compare it, but this seems extremely similar. I was also looking at the one below and a "twelve" time that I found for cheap. The one below looks VERY similar, but mine was in a darker red color, with the F2 and all.

s-l500.jpg

Latest posts