• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I know a Victor Enriquez who discs; I'll ask him if he's going.

At least, for the first time, they've acknowledged that they're building on what others have done. They don't name the others (PDGA, etc.), but it's a start.

It is the same Victor Enriquez! Small world....

Welp, now I hope this event goes well and everyone is happy. Go Salient?

I'm glad someone else brought this up first because it has been bothering the heck out of me. Aside from the couple of notable names the registered players list reads like a list of senders in my spam email folder. Seriously, half of those can't be real. How about

Victor M. Enriquez
Christopher Enriquez
Victor A. Enriquez

I mean... You've gotta be kidding me right?

They are real and are planning on going. They are good people, came out and played one of my events last year- http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/19998

Well I stand corrected then! My bad. I still think the list is fishy, even tho I admit it's just speculation and piling on.

Well I stand corrected then! My bad. I still think the list is fishy, even tho I admit it's just speculation and piling on.

At least one prominent name that was long on the "committed" list, is not on the "registered" list, if that's fishy enough for you.

Does anyone ever wonder how they're going to afford all this? Pro quality live coverage is probably a minimum 15k up to 100k. Paying to get on ESPN3 can't be cheap? Paying to rent a golf course, paying Ricky to show up (joking, but maybe not), paying Billy Crump, then paying the winners, and all the prize packs. This is gonna cost a ton! How can they afford this?

Does anyone ever wonder how they're going to afford all this? Pro quality live coverage is probably a minimum 15k up to 100k. Paying to get on ESPN3 can't be cheap? Paying to rent a golf course, paying Ricky to show up (joking, but maybe not), paying Billy Crump, then paying the winners, and all the prize packs. This is gonna cost a ton! How can they afford this?

I'm assuming a bunch of it is out of pocket by the organizers and they're hoping to recoup on the backside if the tour succeeds the way they seem to expect. Either that, or they've made a hell of a sales pitch to a whole bunch of people (course owner, media company, ESPN, "name" players) to trust them that the money will be there post-event.

Because outside of one of those two options, I can't see them pulling it off at all. I mean, if the biggest events in disc golf history, ones with bigger companies behind them than Salient, can't realistically fund or generate the sponsor interest to fund TV-quality broadcasts AND significant payouts to the players, I can't see how these guys are going to make it happen while simultaneously being "anti-establishment" and trying to re-invent a wheel that isn't necessarily a failure in the first place.

I wondered that with the original formula. When that went bust, and they had to fill with amateurs (at half the entry) and offer a "basic membership" ($10), the math got tougher.

They've boasted of having the guts to put up their own money, so I assume a chunk of their own money is at risk.

They've made little mention of payouts, and none since back in November that I'm aware of, so I'd speculate that that would be the first to get axed.

The wording on the new website (50,000 viewers, etc.) makes me think they're still hunting for significant sponsors.

But, yeah, I wonder.

my guess is they thought ESPN+DG=$$ and that every gary, jack, and joe would've paid up for the opportunity to be on "ESPN". Expecting an epic story of failure that will be talked about for years..

my guess is they thought ESPN+DG=$$ and that every gary, jack, and joe would've paid up for the opportunity to be on "ESPN". Expecting an epic story of failure that will be talked about for years..

I'm not sure a massive failure, but it will looks like a small C-Tier that somehow had a few top pros. For disc golfers, it wont matter and for non disc-golfers.....well, it wont matter either.

I'm sure it will just fizzle away to nothing. I just hope, for their sakes, that the pros get paid.

Latest posts