• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Probably putting a dent in the operating costs. I would be very surprised if Salient is actually turning any kind of profit on this venture.

Im always very surprised that Salient turns a profit at all, what with all the lawsuits they file against all thr bad reviews....

The thing that sucks is when a well run event tries to approach ESPN in the future, they will point to this miserable failure as reason NOT to do future broadcasts. #ruinthesport

The thing that sucks is when a well run event tries to approach ESPN in the future, they will point to this miserable failure as reason NOT to do future broadcasts. #ruinthesport

Doubtful.

If ESPN were spending any amount of money on this, I'd agree, but I don't think this event will move ESPN's needle one way or the other. They're being paid to put this on their streaming platform. As long as they get their money (which is a different question all together), they'll be happy. And if in the future, another disc golf venture approached them with cash in hand and the ability to meet all their technical standards (broadcast-wise), ESPN would welcome them with open arms.

If you're talking about ESPN securing rights to broadcast the sport on their own dime, that's a different story. But again, I don't think this one event will make a difference. The sport as a whole has a long way to go before ESPN or any other broadcast outlet sees the viability of putting the sport on TV (streaming or traditional cable broadcast).

Yes, but you can pay imaginary lawyers with imaginary money. ESPN probably doesn't accept imaginary money.

This is why I wouldn't worry about ESPN and future events. There's a reason the two "real" tours haven't approached ESPN yet. They know the sport isn't financially ready for that yet. I would think they would approach ESPN in a few years once the tours have become more established and are bringing in enough money that ESPN makes sense. Most likely ESPN will start becoming interested in disc golf around the same time because they'll see the growth of the sport and the money that it's bringing in. It all comes down to money in the end.

What's better: ADGT on ESPN3, or PDGA on Beach Sports Network (circa 2013)?

Depends on what your criteria is, but even without having seen what the ADGT is going to produce, I'd say the Beach/Emerging Sports Network show is more beneficial to the game in the long run. It was a well produced and edited half-hour program that actually popped up on cable channels where a casual viewer could stumble across it. Also, it's a bit timeless in the sense that the episode featuring the 2014 Japan Open (for example) could air today and still be a viable watch, particularly for those casual viewers unfamiliar with the game.

I think at best, the ADGT event could achieve roughly the same exposure and quality level as anything DGP or Smashboxx has done in terms of live disc golf broadcast. They're not likely to break any new ground in that respect, at least not with a plan of only covering one or two cards and having no others even on the course to cut to. But within a week, it's going to disappear all together. ESPN3 doesn't archive anything long term, so good or bad, the production is going to be short-lived. There will be no looking it up and (re-)watching it in a month or six months or a year, not unless they do something completely unexpected and upload a copy somewhere. I'm betting ESPN retains some sort of rights to the broadcast though, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to pop up on Youtube.

My hometown college shows a lot of their football games on ESPN3 and after 30 days they have the whole thing up on their website as it was shown on ESPN3. So I dont know if ESPN does have any sorts of rights...and since its paid programming they really shouldn't.

Maybe they will host it on the Salient website in hopes that it will draw people there and entice them to try the Salient products.

Where can I see the finishing results for these tour events?

Are you talking about the ADGT Tour events, so far?

If so, you can't. Well, you can see the Texas Open results through that TD's website. The ones run by Salient aren't available---including one that was also a PDGA event, almost 3 weeks ago, for which they haven't complied with their sanctioning agreement and uploaded scores.

But, hey, these are the people who have anointed themselves as the future of disc golf.

was wondering how long this thread would go without any more posts. Thought David must have taken a vacation from dgr. Wish MJ all the best at the tournament. Want to see this thing fall apart but now that he's playing. Better have a good payout.

Are you talking about the ADGT Tour events, so far?

If so, you can't. Well, you can see the Texas Open results through that TD's website. The ones run by Salient aren't available---including one that was also a PDGA event, almost 3 weeks ago, for which they haven't complied with their sanctioning agreement and uploaded scores.

But, hey, these are the people who have anointed themselves as the future of disc golf.

That figures. I was looking for the results on the PDGA website just to see the tour event turnouts, but couldn't find anything based on the location names. I forgot that they are strattling the gray area of sanctioning. Everything on their (Salient) website is so vague, it's hard to tell what is real and what I'm wrongly assuming.

was wondering how long this thread would go without any more posts. Thought David must have taken a vacation from dgr. Wish MJ all the best at the tournament. Want to see this thing fall apart but now that he's playing. Better have a good payout.

Payout is $1k for first :eek:

I've been distracted by the Orangeburg fiasco, mostly on Facebook.

They've got a huge amateur field, enough top pros to fill a lead card for the webcast, and a beautiful location. All else aside, they'll have that much going for them.

I remain astonished that so many people are paying so much, and traveling so far, to play. But I often say that disc golf can be enjoyed on many levels and many different ways, so perhaps it'll be whatever all those people are hoping for.

That figures. I was looking for the results on the PDGA website just to see the tour event turnouts, but couldn't find anything based on the location names. I forgot that they are strattling the gray area of sanctioning. Everything on their (Salient) website is so vague, it's hard to tell what is real and what I'm wrongly assuming.

You have to dig hard on the Salient site to see the list of Salient tournaments, but all they've posted is the flyers---the flyers are still up for last fall's events, including the one that was cancelled.

The ADGT site has a list and an "info" column---but no info. Not even a link to the Salient site.

I'm sure they'll dazzle us all with the technology at the American Open, though.

Payout is $1k for first :eek:

Have they announced that or is that speculation?

If it were to be a PDGA event using PDGA standard pay tables (40-50% of the field) and 100% of the gross entry fees are paid out (300 per player X 16), first place would be between $1300-1500. If they've got added money for the purse, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect payouts to be higher even if you account for fees and expenses being taken out.

$1000 to first strikes me as disappointing, given the hype. But since they've made no specific promises regarding their payouts, every player signing up is taking their chances and frankly, would have no room for complaint if payouts are relatively low.

Still on the fence about going to the event and seeing the thing unfold. Pack a cooler and sit back and watch the sitcom unfold. Even have a few for you David if you wanted.

Have they announced that or is that speculation?

If it were to be a PDGA event using PDGA standard pay tables (40-50% of the field) and 100% of the gross entry fees are paid out (300 per player X 16), first place would be between $1300-1500. If they've got added money for the purse, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect payouts to be higher even if you account for fees and expenses being taken out.

$1000 to first strikes me as disappointing, given the hype. But since they've made no specific promises regarding their payouts, every player signing up is taking their chances and frankly, would have no room for complaint if payouts are relatively low.

Posted in the hard-to-read red box: https://americandiscgolftour.com/event-info/

Latest posts