• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Ah, I see.

For 15 pros, they're saying "minimum" payout is $1000, $700, $600, $500, $400, $300 for a total of a $3500 purse. 15 X 300 = 4500. Subtract greens fees (66.67 X 15) = $3499.95. Math checks out to be a 100% payout after greens fees. No added cash at all. Wow.

Incredible that for all the sponsors and all the talk about being the "foremost tour" around, the payout is really no better than an average C-tier. Yes, the numbers are higher than you'd find at a C-tier, but that's only because the entries are high. If a C-tier charged $300 a person, they could payout $1000 to first as well.

Ah, I see.

For 15 pros, they're saying "minimum" payout is $1000, $700, $600, $500, $400, $300 for a total of a $3500 purse. 15 X 300 = 4500. Subtract greens fees (66.67 X 15) = $3499.95. Math checks out to be a 100% payout after greens fees. No added cash at all. Wow.

Incredible that for all the sponsors and all the talk about being the "foremost tour" around, the payout is really no better than an average C-tier. Yes, the numbers are higher than you'd find at a C-tier, but that's only because the entries are high. If a C-tier charged $300 a person, they could payout $1000 to first as well.

Outch. That's seriously rough. Even so it's actually an improvement from what I was expecting. I was assuming at least some of the entry fees would come out for the live stream expenses. They must be paying out of pocket for that, which I do respect.

I was assuming at least some of the entry fees would come out for the live stream expenses. They must be paying out of pocket for that, which I do respect.

Given the company's track record, I consider it more likely that they're paying for it with sponsorhip $$$ and pocketing the rest.

Given the company's track record, I consider it more likely that they're paying for it with sponsorhip $$$ and pocketing the rest.

That's a pretty generous assumption, that there are any actual sponsorship $$$ to pocket.

Ah, I see.

As best I can tell, they announced the payout at the same time they announced that entries would not be refunded. Though I'm not positive.

In fairness, I don't know that they every boasted a huge payout. The attraction is supposed to be the course*, and ESPN. Or, as they think of it, E-S-P-N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(* - the property is wonderful. They've posted some photos of holes on facebook, and they were underwhelming, especially for top players. Then again, this site often demonstrates that photos can be deceiving).

Ah, I see.

For 15 pros, they're saying "minimum" payout is $1000, $700, $600, $500, $400, $300 for a total of a $3500 purse. 15 X 300 = 4500. Subtract greens fees (66.67 X 15) = $3499.95. Math checks out to be a 100% payout after greens fees. No added cash at all.

Ah what the hell, I'll throw in a buck so there's added cash, 1st place now gets $1001.00! :p

As best I can tell, they announced the payout at the same time they announced that entries would not be refunded. Though I'm not positive.

In fairness, I don't know that they every boasted a huge payout. The attraction is supposed to be the course*, and ESPN. Or, as they think of it, E-S-P-N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(* - the property is wonderful. They've posted some photos of holes on facebook, and they were underwhelming, especially for top players. Then again, this site often demonstrates that photos can be deceiving).

You're right, they've never boasted much of anything about payout (one of many reasons I've been skeptical from the start). However, they have boasted about being, for lack of a better word, revolutionary when it comes to putting on "professional" disc golf events. The implication being that their events are going to do right what past events have done wrong and that's what is going to push the sport through to mainstream media.

While the payout isn't necessarily a factor in making a good production for broadcast purposes, it is somewhat important if they're going to draw elite players not just to this first event but to future events as well. Bad enough that they've only managed to sucker 16 pros into the event now, but how many of them are going to return or speak highly of the event to build for the future? The guy who wins the $1000 and maybe the guy who wins the $700?

I can only assume that they're not going to joyously announce the winnings on the webcast. I'm not sure the ESPN world is ready to get dazzled by a "pro" winning a few hundred dollars.

It may be that the players are buying in this year, with the low payout, because they've bought in to the notion that this is the route to being a mainstream spectator sport and future riches, and this is them doing their part now.

...how many of them are going to return or speak highly of the event to build for the future? The guy who wins the $1000 and maybe the guy who wins the $700?

Maybe just 1 person, if he/she hits the 351' Jeep ace. But that would be pretty big news, might even make Sportscenter. Would that make it the largest "payout" in disc golf history? They've got to be really hoping someone hits that ace, that's the only realistic thing that would make this event more than just a blip on the dg radar screen.

Ah, I see.

These numbers don't necessarily prove that they don't have any added cash. Your math works out, and it can be described as the "minimum" payout, exactly as they described it. If/When they get some added cash, the payouts would increase from that starting point.

But I'd imagine that if they got any significant sponsorship, they'd do well to update that page or somehow advertise the added cash. The fact that they haven't advertised it or updated the page means ... well, maybe something, maybe nothing.

Maybe just 1 person, if he/she hits the 351' Jeep ace. But that would be pretty big news, might even make Sportscenter. Would that make it the largest "payout" in disc golf history? They've got to be really hoping someone hits that ace, that's the only realistic thing that would make this event more than just a blip on the dg radar screen.

I am playing this weekend, with an ace shot for a $15,000 two year lease on a car. These are not that uncommon. I don't know if one has ever been hit in disc golf though.

I am playing this weekend, with an ace shot for a $15,000 two year lease on a car. These are not that uncommon. I don't know if one has ever been hit in disc golf though.

Nice, good luck! However the Jeep in this event is supposedly to be given free and clear, no lease. Of course there would be substantial taxes due, but that would be a nice "problem" to have. And the winner could always just have the dealership sell it for them and pocket the difference between the sales price and taxes due.

These numbers don't necessarily prove that they don't have any added cash. Your math works out, and it can be described as the "minimum" payout, exactly as they described it. If/When they get some added cash, the payouts would increase from that starting point.

But I'd imagine that if they got any significant sponsorship, they'd do well to update that page or somehow advertise the added cash. The fact that they haven't advertised it or updated the page means ... well, maybe something, maybe nothing.

I never said it proves they don't have added cash at all, just that they're not accounting for any added cash at this point, which to me is a bit of a red flag. For an event that is less than a month away, if they have added cash or intent to add cash, they should be promoting that fact by now (even if it's $100). Particularly as they try to get the last few spots in the tournament filled.

I don't know what they may have said behind the scenes to the handful of elite players that they've wrangled into playing, but to me the way the payout details have been handled is a big reason most of the touring level guys are going to be elsewhere that weekend. Maybe attracting the best players isn't their goal, but shouldn't it be if the driving force behind this "tour" is to put the sport on mainstream (ESPN) media?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading a story in one of the PDGA magazines where a car was given away to the winner. I think it was back in the 70's?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading a story in one of the PDGA magazines where a car was given away to the winner. I think it was back in the 70's?

That did happen but it was before sponsors realized this sport does not attract spectators.

That did happen but it was before sponsors realized this sport does not attract spectators.

That car give away predates disc golf as a formal sport. It happened in 1974 in Rochester NY at the American Flying Disc Open (now the Rochester Flying Disc Open). The notoriety it got in frisbee circles is credited with convincing Ed Headrick there was a future with disc golf, and he soon there after came up with the design for the polehole and the rest was history.

Pretty sure it had nothing to do with sponsorship or spectators as the director of the tournament is the one that put up the car, and it accomplished his goal of gaining attention for the event (people came from across the country to play for it) and the sport.

Here's the article I think puck'n'disc5 saw it referenced in (though the story has been told countless times).

Latest posts