• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Annual salary of DG professional

These salaries seem preposterous compared to other sports. Disc golf, like soccer, can be played by anyone and shoukd be a worldwide phenomenon.

What it needs is SOMEONE to promote and take it to the next level. Actually many levels could be easily achieved with the right marketing approach

LOLOLOL at this comparison

These salaries seem preposterous compared to other sports. Disc golf, like soccer, can be played by anyone and shoukd be a worldwide phenomenon.
Can be played by anyone doesn't translate into eyes viewing the TV screen. That's what attracts the advertisers, that attract the broadcast contracts that make those big salaries in other sports possible.

What it needs is SOMEONE to promote and take it to the next level. Actually many levels could be easily achieved with the right marketing approach
Ahh, if those of us who've been playing at least ten years had a dollar for every time we heard this.

Can be played by anyone doesn't translate into eyes viewing the TV screen. That's what attracts the advertisers, that attract the broadcast contracts that make those big salaries in other sports possible.

Ahh, if those of us who've been playing at least ten years had a dollar for every time we heard this.
Lol. Maybe, but it could be done. Disc golf could be huge if the right people got behind it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He'd be a heck of a marketer to sell something that virtually no one has shown any inclination to watch.

Though I'd have to think that such a talented marketer would find an even more lucrative job elsewhere, promoting something people are actually interested in.

He'd be a heck of a marketer to sell something that virtually no one has shown any inclination to watch.

Though I'd have to think that such a talented marketer would find an even more lucrative job elsewhere, promoting something people are actually interested in.

This is a great point and worth repeating.

Where are we finding this amazing promoter that hasn't already decided to make more money elsewhere?

Lol. Maybe, but it could be done. Disc golf could be huge if the right people got behind it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I just love how those of you who think disc golf can be "huge" always talk about such in the abstract, but never talk a plan of how you're going to get it there.

And thousands of courses being installed, and all of these new disc manufacturers and equipment companies, and design teams aren't part of being huge? People like Innova, Vibram or Dynamic who actually know our sport's culture and market aren't the right people?

Oh yes, I forget that for some of you, success will never be measured in how many courses get installed or how many people play regularly, or how much benefit can be brought to a community by having an inexpensive recreational outlet. Success is only measured in a few people making fat stacks of cash because they are the very best at some discretionary activity packaged as a "sport".

For the rest of us, success will be when we're willing to give up our recreational time to instead go to a sports bar and idolize our top pros on the TV, paying greens fees and setting tee times for the same pedestrian courses we play now, and paying an extra $5 per disc for the same plastic so said top pros can live their dreams out. For the majority of us, it's simply our obligation in life to be but consumers so the few can have their mansions, trophy wives, trophy mistresses, 18 cars, $3000/night call girls and enough blow to burn holes through a thousand septums.

Yeah, inexpensive recreation, good times with friends who suck as bad as you, actually playing instead of sitting on the couch, not giving a damn about the guy who's signature is on your disc, yeah, screw that. That sort of thinking is dangerous. Some suit is going to lose his job if we all start thinking like that.

Sent from my mobile device, of irrelevant manufacturer and model, typing one character at a time, because I can't stand an app that leaves a stupid signature behind that is essentially unsolicited advertising.

Yeah, as much as I love to play the game, and as much as I can appreciate the level of play by the top pros, I am not going to devote a lot of time to spectating. I'll show up for a few holes that the BHMO every year (final nine usually), but then I get the urge to play and I'll head off to another course. I'll watch occasionally on youtube, but not usually the live coverage.

It' similar to cycling. The level of the pros is so impressive to see, and the pageantry of a major event like the Tour de France is undeniable, but it's not a great spectator sport.

I guess the same could have been said of stick golf, but apparently there are enough people to watch it that it has its own channel.... so what do I know?

Erno Väyrynen (California rep for DiscGolfPark) discussed the differences in disc golf culture between the US and Finland in a very recent Finnish podcast. One major difference seems to be what the motivation of course design is geared towards; in the US they still seem to be mainly designed for those who already play. The DiscGolfPark concept is designed to make everyone more aware of the sport called disc golf and it has become a standard in Finland (Prodigy Europe has more or less copied it). The primary challenge should be to shift that motivation out of where Finland was 10-15 years ago.

DSC4786.jpg

Erno Väyrynen (California rep for DiscGolfPark) discussed the differences in disc golf culture between the US and Finland in a very recent Finnish podcast. One major difference seems to be what the motivation of course design is geared towards; in the US they still seem to be mainly designed for those who already play. The DiscGolfPark concept is designed to make everyone more aware of the sport called disc golf and it has become a standard in Finland (Prodigy Europe has more or less copied it). The primary challenge should be to shift that motivation out of where Finland was 10-15 years ago.

DSC4786.jpg

That is an amazing picture -- photoshop is the only way that pic would be at a US event! And the pic of Simon dwarfed by the crowd seeking his autograph was something too.

The industry will likely need to naturally develop to where course owners, TDs and promoters can be making decent money before those trying to make a living by playing well get paid well. If the course owners don't have a model to make money, who builds the long, permanent tournament worthy venues with great amenities that are financially sustainable? If promoters aren't able to generate revenue from spectators and online viewership either thru fees or much larger numbers, how will current and potential sponsors justify ongoing contributions? If the TDs and key workers aren't sufficiently compensated, how will you attract and retain qualified and experienced staff putting their lives and other sources of income on hold to produce and run major events?

It's funny how you don't see as much clamoring for big money for the people who work in disc golf---particularly, TDs and course owners---as for a few people who play.

DSC4786.jpg

I applaud what they've done there.

I'll confess ignorance as to exactly what they've done, or the cultural differences in the general populations that may or may not produce more spectators there, or whether there are logistical differences dictating the types of courses put in (government funds, land available), nor the exact nature of their results.

I've been in a gallery of thousands at the USDGC. A few other events have had similar audiences. Among the questions, would be:

---how much of that gallery paid, or were they free admissions?
---did they come for the novelty, or is it sustainable? Will they come year after year?
---this is the biggest event of the year, and the attendance is less than a high school football game. Can it generate crowds of paying spectators, at multiple events, to produce real revenue, and interest outside advertisers?

You also need to factor in the top USA guys drawing out more people to watch which isnt as common vs a normal tourney there.

I am not sure we (here) care as much if one or two of them show up and play an event. Can well call it the McBeth Effect? Lol

I'm gonna guess that Mcbeth makes at least 75k a year through winnings/sponsorships. But Seems likely that anybody not in the top 5 players is definitely below poverty level.

I'm gonna guess that Mcbeth makes at least 75k a year through winnings/sponsorships. But Seems likely that anybody not in the top 5 players is definitely below poverty level.

Ian at CCDG has said elsewhere that Paul makes over 4 times that amount.

McBeth has confirmed that in 2015 he paid over $100,000 in TAXES. Meaning he grossed over $400,000 that year.

Latest posts