• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anyone like the Warlock?

I use s warlock. Love them. Had cryztal flx challengers before them, but they were way too glidey and fast. Before that I had kcpro aviars that were too slippery in the chains and in the hand. I prefer the straight flight of the warlock and I love the feel and durability of the plastic, It's like having a secret prototype aviar. It does turn over when I drive with it though. It has to be released on a hyzer to flip up an stay on course. My releases are generally flat naturally, so I tend to drive with a buzzz or a rock3 instead of a putter. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
FWIW I use Warlocks (SS or S, and one Eraser in the mix) strictly for putting, but I use Wizards for putter drives and straight to hyzer approaches. The beadless rim of the Wk feels better in hand for putting, whereas the beaded feel of the Wiz is much more substantial and feels better for a driving motion.

hmm. yeah, i prefer beaded for putting. as long as it's shallow for driving i don't care. anyway, i felt up some warlocks today and they're still too deep. i will have to go shallower, don't know how that is going to work while trying to find something that flies like a wizard. i felt up a few putters today including the P2, eh. i don't know if it's the depth or the configuration because the mercy feels fine.

anyway, unfortunately i won't be trying a warlock. still seems like a great disc.

LOL JK

i picked up two warlocks today and they are superb for driving. my index finger feels lost when i try to putt, though.

i like the warlock soft/supersoft plastic better for driving than the wizard; it's amazing. probably because they stay on the shelf so long and therefore there's more to choose from.

Last edited:
Went to my local PIAS in search of some PP2s to mess around with and struck out.

I did find a matched pair of firm SS Warlocks. Both max weight and black.

I was really surprised how beefy these are. They seem much closer to a Wiz or a BB Aviar, regardless of how they feel.

Once I realized they were not drop ins for an Aviar P&A they really started to shine. Very much the same kind of flight as a fresh Wiz, just beadless. Same feel as an Aviar P&A.

Is anyone messing around with Warlocks any more? Anyone tried one and bailed ship?

Is anyone messing around with Warlocks any more? Anyone tried one and bailed ship?

I putted with them for about 3 months. I quite enjoyed them, but I started to have some grip issues because the ss plastic would stick to my hand too much. I then switched to the soft but they were too slick. I eventually gave up and just went back to Dx aviars which are right between the 2 grip wise.

I have been putting with Warlocks for around 5 years now. They work well for my spush putting style, when I've tried other putters here and there they just didn't give the same glide I have gotten use to with Warlocks. I prefer SSS, I like a velvety feel for my putter. I don't drive with them. Bottom line for me is I like them enough that I don't see a point in going elsewhere. Though I am always jealous Wizards get so many more unique blends.

I shot my first 1000 rated round using an Evo Warlock, but I like a shallower putter. They are a great beadless option though!

I have been putting with Warlocks for around 5 years now. They work well for my spush putting style, when I've tried other putters here and there they just didn't give the same glide I have gotten use to with Warlocks. I prefer SSS, I like a velvety feel for my putter. I don't drive with them. Bottom line for me is I like them enough that I don't see a point in going elsewhere. Though I am always jealous Wizards get so many more unique blends.

You may want to check out our Element Iridium - familiar RDG top (scale, serpent, iridium, plutonium) - the iridium has the warlock base... (plutonium uses the voodoo base).

They are on sale at www.factiondg.com

Recently purchased two yellow SSS Warlock putters at 173g. I haven't got to putt with them a lot, especially during a round, but so far feeling very comfortable with this putter.

First things first, it is very much like an Aviar P&A, which I'm happy about since the P&A seems to be the putter (out of the 12 or so I've tried) that I feel the most comfortable with and have the most confidence in. In hand the two feel almost identical and if I weren't looking I couldn't tell which one was which...except for the plastic feel (DX vs SSS). It, like the P&A, is pretty much a straight shooter inside 40' (maybe longer depending on the speed of your putts). I always aim at a link just right of center and both of these putters seem to go where I'm aiming...if not, it's definitely human error. I'm loving the feel in hand of the SSS and it's definitely nicer feeling putter than the DX P&A.

There are a couple things I find strange about the Warlock though:
- it gets beat to death pretty quickly...I only use it for putting and haven't putted with it a great many times, but both of my Warlocks have dings all around the rim - some that go pretty deep in
- the two yellows on the Warlocks are entirely different colors (one also has a shiny green stamp while the other is flat black - both look awesome)
- the shape of the two are slightly different where the rim turns back underneath: one is more rounded while one has a distinct "crease"
- on one of them the rim is a much darker yellow than the rest of the putter; on the other (the one with the "crease") it's all the same color except for the fact that the rim has a small white line all round the putter
- underneath in the center of one it had a thin plastic layer hanging down that I had to trim off

Anyway, maybe all of these items are typical with Warlocks or the SSS plastic or Gateway discs, but I'm loving the Warlock putter and look forward to getting some more time in on the course with it!

TripleB

Recently purchased two yellow SSS Warlock putters at 173g. I haven't got to putt with them a lot, especially during a round, but so far feeling very comfortable with this putter.

First things first, it is very much like an Aviar P&A, which I'm happy about since the P&A seems to be the putter (out of the 12 or so I've tried) that I feel the most comfortable with and have the most confidence in. In hand the two feel almost identical and if I weren't looking I couldn't tell which one was which...except for the plastic feel (DX vs SSS). It, like the P&A, is pretty much a straight shooter inside 40' (maybe longer depending on the speed of your putts). I always aim at a link just right of center and both of these putters seem to go where I'm aiming...if not, it's definitely human error. I'm loving the feel in hand of the SSS and it's definitely nicer feeling putter than the DX P&A.

There are a couple things I find strange about the Warlock though:
- it gets beat to death pretty quickly...I only use it for putting and haven't putted with it a great many times, but both of my Warlocks have dings all around the rim - some that go pretty deep in
- the two yellows on the Warlocks are entirely different colors (one also has a shiny green stamp while the other is flat black - both look awesome)
- the shape of the two are slightly different where the rim turns back underneath: one is more rounded while one has a distinct "crease"
- on one of them the rim is a much darker yellow than the rest of the putter; on the other (the one with the "crease") it's all the same color except for the fact that the rim has a small white line all round the putter
- underneath in the center of one it had a thin plastic layer hanging down that I had to trim off

Anyway, maybe all of these items are typical with Warlocks or the SSS plastic or Gateway discs, but I'm loving the Warlock putter and look forward to getting some more time in on the course with it!

TripleB

I don't know why the Warlock is not more popular. The plastic hanging down that you spoke of is on every Wizard I have ever owned or seen. The slight differences you speak of are not really a huge surprise from Gateway. Every one of my Wizards is a little unique and I just accept it to get great a mold in great plastic. As far as the color differences, that happens with all plastic to a certain extent, especially when changing from one color to another. Or they were just run at two entirely different times and were a slightly different blend of yellow.

Nice grippy, but not too floppy SS Warlock is my putter of choice in the cold months.. but in the summer I go with a simple Aviar P&A.. both very similar as previously noted a couple posts back.

I don't know why the Warlock is not more popular.

Yea, all the things I mentioned are pretty superficial! Really love the feel, flight, and stick of the Warlock!!!

True, you would think with it basically being a twin of the Aviar it would be more popular.

The SSS really isn't that much softer/flexy than my DX Aviar, but I like the "chalky" feel of the Warlock much better.

Question: does the S and SS both have that same "chalky" feel? Any more dent proof than the SSS?

Thanks!

TripleB

Yea, all the things I mentioned are pretty superficial! Really love the feel, flight, and stick of the Warlock!!!

True, you would think with it basically being a twin of the Aviar it would be more popular.

The SSS really isn't that much softer/flexy than my DX Aviar, but I like the "chalky" feel of the Warlock much better.

Question: does the S and SS both have that same "chalky" feel? Any more dent proof than the SSS?

Thanks!

TripleB
Can only speak to Wizards, as my history with Warlocks was very brief. Gateway putter plastic takes a lot of superficial damage, but it does not affect the flight much that I can tell when it comes to putting. The harder plastics will still ding and bruise. I have some two year old Wizards (not the longest time, but all I have putted with in that time) that look kind of rough, but still putt and even feel great. I have to sand down burrs occasionally, but other than that, it is just cosmetic damage that I don't notice while actually using them. I sometimes wonder if I should retire the two I have used since I switched to them, as I have plenty of practice Wizards ready to make the main bag, but I cant think of a practical reason to do so.

As to the chalky feel, it really just depends on the run you pick up. As anyone with even a little knowledge will tell you, Gateway is notorious for inconsistent runs of plastic (one Soft may not be as hard as another SuperSoft or may be super slick compared to another Soft on the shelf). I don't really mind this myself, as I tend to like all of Gateway putter plastic even if finding duplicates can be hard.

S might actually be more dent prone than SS. Either you love it or hate it, but Gateway base plastic digs up something fierce. It doesn't effect the flight, though. I always thought it looked cool to have a putter that looked like it had been in use for decades from all the dings and dents that still flew nice and stable. Other people get weirded out by it. Different strokes.

Gateway doesn't always trim flashing all that great, so you will often have those thin pieces of plastic hanging off. I don't know about the place currently, but they used to have a lot of turnover and not a lot of quality control, so little molding things that would get caught by other places get past Gateway. Having said that, they have managed not to do anything as crazy as releasing Destrulcans. So there is that.

For me, Warlocks are heavier in the rim of the disc than an Aviar. Aviar's feel light in my hand after holding a Warlock because the Warlock feels like it has a beefier rim. That's one of the reasons I like them. It could be all in my head, though. Warlocks for me start out more OS than an Aviar. It's just a great putter. Good slightly OS driving putter, comfortable putting putter.

Now that I've found my favorite putter style, deeper dish, I really like the idea of trying various Aviar (no bead) clones (such as the Magnet, Omega, etc) and comparing them against each other. And trying to notice the slight differences, such as the heavier rim, between them. However, I'm not sure anything could out perform the Warlock...such a great feel and amazing results!!!

I honestly only ordered the 2 Warlocks because I was already ordering a couple of other discs, had a discount coupon, heard it was similar to the Aviar P&A, and figured what the heck. I never even really considered it might actually knock my P&A out of the bag. Go figure!!!

TripleB

Yeah, simply put the Warlock is Aviar PnA in better plastic. Heck, a Warlock in Medium or a harder run of Soft is nearly the same as a McPro Aviar.

Gateway plastic dings up quickly from new and then gets to a point where it just stops taking more damage. I think they only get better as they get more beat.

This is my main putter. It's looked like that for years.
34dcadd6-f760-46aa-abd4-c049e5efd786_zps57f6246e.jpg

I never even really considered it might actually knock my P&A out of the bag. Go figure!!!

TripleB

You made a thread requesting putters that could replace your aviar because they are too common. So you were actively looking to "knock your P&A out of your bag."
Give it two weeks and you'll be looking for a new putter for some stupid reason.