• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anyone like the Warlock?

I don't think the warlock is a beadless wizard. The wizard has a bullet nosed shape and if you removed the bead it would be a perfect radius. The warlock has a more angular bottom half like a p&a aviar or p2. Not at all the same shape.

Warlock to me is the red headed stepchild of Gateway putters. Doesn't handle wind as well as the Wizard. Doesn't fly as straight at low speed as the Magic. Doesn't have the glide or speed of the Voodoo. This is why I'm the proud owner of nearly 40 Gateway putters, and not a single Warlock.

Warlock to me is the red headed stepchild of Gateway putters. Doesn't handle wind as well as the Wizard. Doesn't fly as straight at low speed as the Magic. Doesn't have the glide or speed of the Voodoo. This is why I'm the proud owner of nearly 40 Gateway putters, and not a single Warlock.

cool...glad u dont like it. that means there are more for us. this is a thread for people who DO like the warlock in case you didnt know. :)

i, on the other hand, think the warlock IS good in the wind, HAS awesome glide and DOES fly straight at low speeds.

I don't think the warlock is a beadless wizard. The wizard has a bullet nosed shape and if you removed the bead it would be a perfect radius. The warlock has a more angular bottom half like a p&a aviar or p2. Not at all the same shape.

I made that same argument to a guy at leagues a few years ago. he didn't agree with that but he still putted lights out with the Warlock and swore by it. I still want to try it but I think I need to learn how to putt. I seriously don't have a comfortable putting stroke of any kind save for the "TomaFlop" and that is only good out to 20ft.

also... fwiw keltik, i throw opto pures for drives and putt with warlocks,the feel is very similar but the pure is probably a smidge more shallow. not a huge difference though.

ive always been a fan of beadless putters so in my bag u putt with warlocks,drive with warlocks aviars and pures. aviar is beat to snot so until i get a warlock there,thats what im using for the flippy/touchy spot.

speaking of beating warlocks,i have a beat up pink one thats a old medium proto and it still is nowhere near flippy like that aviar.

I can dig that bootsy. how do you putt though? do you spin/push or do you lob?

im a spin putter primarily but recently have been doing a spin/push hybrid lately . ive had good results with all styles of putting when using warlocks.

I have all of these molds. I'll try to remember to snap some profile pics tonight against the Warlock. Any other molds?

I'm a day late, but here they are...as promised.
Warlock vs

P2
2013-01-09200647_zpseb4c8b29.jpg

Wizard
2013-01-09195246_zps941cd2ec.jpg

Magic
2013-01-09195155_zps94aafbec.jpg

Pure
2013-01-09195223_zpsc11536b0.jpg

that last pic is interesting in many ways...

you want to sell that pink pure? ò.ó

my wife is going to strangle me one of these days.

thx for the pics tb

i finally found a rff warlock xout..i cant wait to get it.i felt up some rdf wiz and tif it feels like that,i will be happy.

not sure why i havnt seen many other rff warlocks though.

the warlock is going to be my next experiment with putters. i do love my wizards - i have a problem with getting correct hand orientation, though. i really have to fight to get the proper index finger/thumb pinch: usually it is the crook of my pointer providing pressure up into my thumb along the rim of the disc and NOT a clean pressure point with the pad/tip of my pointer. this results in too much flutter and definitely not a clean release. if i get it *PERFECT* all is fine and dandy, but i feel i have to keep my index finger purposely curling STRAIGHT UNDER the rim and not forward/separated from the rest of my fingers in a comfortable driving powergrip. there is no forward thumb pressure. my flattened wizard feels perfect but i dont' want to do that to all my driving wizards. we will see how this plays out and i do not like the idea of changing what can be so amazingly effective at times. . . but i'd rather not have to fight with it. it is becoming a big issue as i strive toward consistency. so i will be trying the warlock - just one, maybe two if HPP has the flight characteristics i want.

i saw someone post about the warlock in HPP and they said it was super straight. is this true or does the HPP/evo plastic make it a little more HSS/LSS? that would be ideal. i throw my wizards on holes 300' and under depending on the elevation and openness of the fairway and i don't want something that i will have to throw hyzer, but i still like that the wizard's fade is so gentle despite the great HSS. i need something that can really be driven flat reliably.

For me the Wizard and Warlock are pretty similar in flight. You should have no problem getting the Warlock to fly similar lines for you. It really comes down to which feels better in your hand. I prefer the feel of beaded putters when I power grip so I stuck with Wizards.

For me the Wizard and Warlock are pretty similar in flight. You should have no problem getting the Warlock to fly similar lines for you. It really comes down to which feels better in your hand. I prefer the feel of beaded putters when I power grip so I stuck with Wizards.

yeah, that's sort of what i had read in various threads but i had ALSO read they weren't quite as dependable at high speed. i just wanted to hear a positive affirmation again for reassurance i guess. :D i drive with my putters where ever possible so it's nice to hear from people who put some heat on their drives.