• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

I think a proxy/atom combo can work, especially if you play a lot of woody courses. The proxy will be able to take the beating, and the atom can be used for more open shots.

I'm just trying to not carry 5 putters. Right now I'm looking at a watermelon envy for drives and extra stability, a soft n envy for up shots and windy long putts/approaches, regular atom for drives with less fade and open approaches, soft atom for inside the circle only, and then there's the proxy. I'd like to limit myself to 3 putters but idk if I have the restraint for that.

So does anyone think there is a benefit in bagging an atom and a proxy? I guess what I'm asking is that are they going to be too similar once the atom breaks in a bit and loses some of its LSS?

In my opinion, yes. I was throwing the Proxy but it got shelved when the Atom came out. The courses I play are semi-wooded, but nothing crazy.

If you are worried about durability, the Proxy might be the way to go. But if you want to carry fewer molds and don't mind buying a fresh Atom occasionally then you can get away with that, too.

Also, since going Atom-only, my comfort level with the disc has skyrocketed and I feel confident with it for almost anything. Even did an off-handed flick with it today to get out of trouble and it delivered. Confidence is big for me, and having the single mold really gets me closer to that end.

I'm just trying to not carry 5 putters. Right now I'm looking at a watermelon envy for drives and extra stability, a soft n envy for up shots and windy long putts/approaches, regular atom for drives with less fade and open approaches, soft atom for inside the circle only, and then there's the proxy. I'd like to limit myself to 3 putters but idk if I have the restraint for that.
Well another thing you can do is just carry a S envy, my proton really hasn't seen much use since I got the soft. It handles pretty much any approach shot I need that doesn't need to finish right, but I also throw flicks with my softy so it can actually do that too.

Are the melon envys more OS than the reg P or the soft? I thought my S was a tick beefier than my P when I got it.

Last edited:
Well another thing you can do is just carry a S envy, my proton really hasn't seen much use since I got the soft. It handles pretty much any approach shot I need that doesn't need to finish right,
That's an option but I always find it hard to shelf a special edition disc lol. To answer your stability question about the watermelons, I feel that they have a bit more LSS than the softs but that could just be me.

That's an option but I always find it hard to shelf a special edition disc lol. To answer your stability question about the watermelons, I feel that they have a bit more LSS than the softs but that could just be me.

Might be all in my head too, but I've felt that the Watermelons are stiffer and a little more OS than any other Envy I've thrown. Stiffer is the more important part to me.
They're the only ones I can't seem to give up.

The proxy is a great disc but the gap it fills between a seasoned envy and a powered down theory is very small. Since my 166 soft envy has gotten beat in I hardly throw the proxy anymore.

If you are carrying an envy and a theory then the durability of the atom shouldn't be an issue because you probably wont need to throw it hard very often. I'm planning to use my atoms for putting only.

Might be all in my head too, but I've felt that the Watermelons are stiffer and a little more OS than any other Envy I've thrown. Stiffer is the more important part to me.
They're the only ones I can't seem to give up.

What's interesting is that I feel the same about my Watermelon Crave: stiffer and more stability than any other Crave I've thrown, and certainly more so than the other Protons I've tried.

As to the Atom: am I understanding everyone correctly that a fresh Atom is a bit more stable than a fresh Proxy? I'd be especially curious to hear how their HSS compares. And how much beefier is an Envy than an Atom?

I enjoyed messing around with the Atom today - definitely found it to be a "fast flier" as some others have stated - but don't think it offers me enough to switch putting putters. I still haven't settled on the Judge as a driving putter, though, so I'd be curious to hear about the Envy and Proxy.

The proxy is a great disc but the gap it fills between a seasoned envy and a powered down theory is very small. Since my 166 soft envy has gotten beat in I hardly throw the proxy anymore.

If you are carrying an envy and a theory then the durability of the atom shouldn't be an issue because you probably wont need to throw it hard very often. I'm planning to use my atoms for putting only.
My thoughts exactly! Now I just need the snow to go away so I can thoroughly test it out. This winter has totally changed the putt/approach end of my bag. Oh the simpler times of 1 Ion and 1 anode

Already my new putting putter. Putter lineup is going to be Harp, Envy, Atom, Proxy. That first slot is always in flux. If MVP or Axiom can make a Pig it will be settled. So get to work on the most overstable putter ever. With gyro.

Got my atom the other day through Community, and did a bunch of test throws with it last night. It's much more likely to pull the kind of throws I need for putting than either the proxy or the envy... both tend to go straight, where this picks up the curve I want and drops into the basket at least twice as much, and I love the texture of it. Still have to mess around with it for drives, but I definitely think it's taking over putting duties for my bag.

First full round with mine. Putted with the soft and used the regular for ups and some driving. Love these things. The hold on a slight anny may cause a shake up though. These may steal some throws from my Theory. if so, I may need to put a Meteor back in the bag. Man, I would hate to not carry a Theory.

First full round with mine. Putted with the soft and used the regular for ups and some driving. Love these things. The hold on a slight anny may cause a shake up though. These may steal some throws from my Theory. if so, I may need to put a Meteor back in the bag. Man, I would hate to not carry a Theory.

That's exactly what happened to me. Once I got a little wear on my Atom, it just bombed with ease for long, accurate approaches. Theory was out and Meteor was back in.

The main reason I use base plastic for all my putters currently is the lack of LSS. How'd you guys compare the Atom's flight to other similar stability base plastic putters?

how is a meteor any different than theory really?

Atom has decent LSS and HSS when new. Both work out with use. Not like a magnet/magic/sole etc though where they just glide straight.

Last edited: