• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Though, I've fallen pretty hard for the Proxy, keep hitting metal with them with standstills from the 200 range.

Yeah I canned two yesterday from the 150 range with my Proxy. I have some Atoms in the mail. I'll try them out in the circle, but it's really hard for me to imagine them battling the Proxy as a straight upshot disc.

Some good feeling plastic, very Eraser-esque. I shouldn't have any problem putting this thing in wet/cold weather. Digging the hand-feel too, very Magic meets Pure, low-profile goodness.

FTR, no boob on my 174 Soft White.

How does the atom compare to the envy in the circle? I love my soft envy But want to get some baseline goodness?

I had been using the soft envy for putting since the day it was released, and switched to the atom on its release day. Inside the circle there isn't a lot of difference in the flight pattern maybe a tick more fade from the envy on the outer distance of the circle. The main difference is the grip, I find the atom much easier to snap of hard and flat to fight headwind putts. Also has plenty of glide to ride the tailwind putts without dropping.

Glides more. Also Atom lacks the Envy's bead. And associated stability/overstability.

I picked up a 173 gram soft atom. I think it's pretty much my favorite putter that I've ever had, it flies so well. Between the proxy and the atom, I'm kind of thinking that the envy may wind up dropping out of my bag. I need more atoms...

Spent some time this morning with an E and ES Atom, and I was really impressed with their HSS. They remind me of a Pure that can handle more headwinds. Their speed and glide were even comparable.

If they came in a firmer, tougher blend I could see trying one out in place of my Opto Pure. I hardly hit any trees, and my Soft already has some creasing and boobage. For having a Gateway quality of plastic, they are more R-Pro in the durability realm. I expected damage, but I didn't expect it to this extent at their price point. At anywhere from $10-$14 a disc, I would like a little more resistance.

With there being a Soft designation but not Firm/Hard, I'm hoping there's a third blend in the works that may withstand impacts a little better. I generally prefer less grip than both available blends currently provide so I'll keep hoping they at least try a test run or something.

^ interestingly enough, I find the proto atoms to hold up better. They have a chalkier feel as well than the stock. Both great feels, but I much prefer that chalky feel of the protos

Picked up 2 purple172 sorts both had slight concave like I like flew slightly more stable then envy in the
Circle but on approaches ythe thing flew perfect even powered down from about 150 I took 2 runs at the basket first one hit pole 2ndone flew right in

Atoms are nice and everything but damn just let me get some ions already chad and brad and everyone else reading this forum involved with MVP. I mean... soft neutron envys but ions get no love?! seriously electron plastic was 2010 on DGR.

come-on-man-o.gif

(if you don't know... COME ON MAN!!!)

Atoms don't hold a line as nice and just like to fly straight like every other beadless putter out there with some good HSS. Electron ions seriously would put some skeptics back on the MVP train IMO. THE FEEL!!!!

I think they wanted to let the Atom shine for a bit, then spring the Electron Ion on us later.

Spring?! OK! Ion in "FIRM" electron ...

::SLOT MACHINE NOISE::

I don't even use a towel on these putters. Its weird and great.

Ion AND Anode need some love! Soft neutron as well as electron!

Just got done playing a round, putting exclusively with the Atom (in 10 inches of snow). Wow.......amazing putter. I lost nothing over playing with the Anode and I gained grip. The plastic really might be the best. It was tough to dry the disc off because the towel would grip and stick to the plastic. It wasn't ever too much though where it would lead to a bad release. Between being low profile and having no bead the release was clean every time. It holds an amazing line and has just enough glide. I can't wait to get a few beat up and see what happens. I haven't had any durability issues although I don't drive with them. Too many other premium plastic options. I paired the Atom with the Envy today and it worked well. The Envy feels like a beaded Atom. I'm very impressed. One of the best putters I've tried.

I played a couple of rounds with the Atom yesterday, 99% of the time for putts and jump-putts. Took me some getting used to regarding the low profile, felt like I was putting with a driver compared to the SSS Magic I had been using. Also likes a bit more spin than push compared to the Summits and Magics I usually putt with which doesn't surprise me, the gyro putters tend to like a bit more zip to go. I think the plastic is durable enough for baseline plastic but then again I wasn't drilling it into trees or rocks.

The grip is phenomenal and it putts well. I tried to get some left-chain spin-outs and it just velcroed and dropped into the tray. I think it will be really point and shoot neutral once I get some wear on it, more befitting of my style. Really solid putter from MVP.