• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Well, Atoms will not be making the bag. Just can't compete with my RDG Serpent when it comes to putting. Impressed with the plastic to be sure, but for me an Anode in this plastic would be a better putter.

Impressed with the plastic to be sure, but for me an Anode in this plastic would be a better putter.

I'm thinking the same. I have been bagging the Atom though with no drop in putting. I do love the plastic.

Well, Atoms will not be making the bag. Just can't compete with my RDG Serpent when it comes to putting. Impressed with the plastic to be sure, but for me an Anode in this plastic would be a better putter.

For putting it's whatever to me from a bowfly to wizard etc but have no need for the atom and hate how it feels in the hand for putting. I can bang putts with it no problem but hear you on the anode style of putter. Atom works great if you like "small"feeling putters. What's so special about the serpent? Have a scale coming to mess with'

For putting it's whatever to me from a bowfly to wizard etc but have no need for the atom and hate how it feels in the hand for putting. I can bang putts with it no problem but hear you on the anode style of putter. Atom works great if you like "small"feeling putters. What's so special about the serpent? Have a scale coming to mess with'

Serpent is the Scale top with a magic bottom. The Scale top stables it up. Imagine a beadless wizard. I am straight money with it. I am one of very few with a Fossil Serpent. Fossil is money.

I have to admit that it does feel way too small even for my tiny hands

I have been digging the Harp for putting lately, but the Atom provides easy distance for a putter. I repeatedly overthrew approach shots today with a 165 Soft Atom (thanks, Aim!).

As others have mentioned, the Atom feels small and delicate. It took me a few throws to realize that I can lean on the disc without worrying about its stability.

Just missed a few long jump putts with the Atom, too. I need to compare Atom and Proxy for straight approaches. Even if the Proxy wins out, I could see keeping a couple of Atoms around for wet-weather rounds.

I've been putting exclusively with a white 174 Atom since it came out and I'm really loving it. It has officially replaced my 2 year old white 174 Anode.

The real difference for me is the plastic. I think it feels fantastic and I didn't realize how many micro-slips I was getting with the regular neutron stuff on my putts. I'd still try an Anode in electron plastic because I still love that disc for putting. The Atom is the only thing that has even come close to pushing it out of the bag and now it's done it.

And I love my soft pink Atom for driving. Used it a ton yesterday during two rounds at a heavily wooded course and got some really awesome results with really straight flights and I threw a little higher than I wanted but still didn't get much fade.

At the risk of over-hyping things, the Atom has legitimately been a game changer for me.

I have so much confidence with this disc from 200 feet and in that I am reaching for it over a mid 95% of the time. It is so controllable, handles some stank if you release it poorly, and has a manageable amount of fade. And it is so damn long. I love it.

Plasma Atoms will make me empty my wallet, but I am quite pleased with my Electrons. And, for those who might be concerned they get too floppy in the heat...I played in 80 degree weather today and it was excellent. :thmbup:

I have to admit that it does feel way too small even for my tiny hands

Weirdly I have long fingers and large hands, yet the small feel of the atom feels perfect to me, and is one of my favorite things about it. It tucks into my hand in the most perfect way, and feels great for forehand putts/approaches.

Have they announced if they are gonna be able to make plasma atoms? Cause I was wondering if the mold might be exclusive to electron. Since they cant use the older molds with electron plastic, maybe the reverse is also true?

Have they announced if they are gonna be able to make plasma atoms? Cause I was wondering if the mold might be exclusive to electron. Since they cant use the older molds with electron plastic, maybe the reverse is also true?

Nothing's been announced, but my hope is that they planned for premium plastic and base with any new molds they're making. They've come a long way, so hopefully they can make it happen.

Not 100% sure yet about putting with this guy (but oddly I too have big hands and it doesn't feel weirdly small to me.)

But no doubt it's an awesome driving putter. I'd go so far as to say, it's more of a midrange-killer than the Envy. Threw a shot with it in the field on Sat, with some tail wind, about 350'...I don't throw putters that far.

I threw a firm one a lot yesterday. One solid tree hit, and I did see a little warping like others have noted, but it easily tuned back into shape. The rim bottom is beating up pretty fast, too. I don't see the easy seasoning as a bad thing myself...one day on the course and this thing is already showing some flip up @ full power.

So, call it probably in the bag for putting, definitely for driving, and maybe kicks out the Proxy.

Last edited:
Weirdly I have long fingers and large hands, yet the small feel of the atom feels perfect to me, and is one of my favorite things about it. It tucks into my hand in the most perfect way, and feels great for forehand putts/approaches.

strange

I'm used to ion, so that's not helping. I tried the proto again last night and it feels perfect. It seems slightly deeper than the atom.

strange

I'm used to ion, so that's not helping. I tried the proto again last night and it feels perfect. It seems slightly deeper than the atom.

I guess that goes to show how individual and important feel is for a putting putter.

Definitely need to get a stack of backups/throwers now, I'm sold on the atom.

It took me a few throws to realize that I can lean on the disc without worrying about its stability.

I was really surprised with this too. I figured on a full power rip they'd show some turn, but it's more just flipping up to flat and cruising. I've been digging the way they sit in my hand in a FH grip. They work nice for short flick approaches.

I really like how they putt, both the feel and the flight. Just don't know if I can go back to baseline style plastic. I just love how my Ions from 2011 still fly the same, it's wonderful. Good to have options either way.

I'm thinking about doing an Atom destructive testing video to see how they hold up to intense tree hits and the like. Think it'd be informative or childish? Can't decide. I'd only do "real world" type of stuff, nothing super over the top like 20 point blank power drives into a brick wall.

Threw the Atom today. Gets the BirdieMachine seal of approval.

Pretty much what everyone has said, like an Envy but straighter.

I was really surprised with this too. I figured on a full power rip they'd show some turn, but it's more just flipping up to flat and cruising. I've been digging the way they sit in my hand in a FH grip. They work nice for short flick approaches.

I really like how they putt, both the feel and the flight. Just don't know if I can go back to baseline style plastic. I just love how my Ions from 2011 still fly the same, it's wonderful. Good to have options either way.

I'm thinking about doing an Atom destructive testing video to see how they hold up to intense tree hits and the like. Think it'd be informative or childish? Can't decide. I'd only do "real world" type of stuff, nothing super over the top like 20 point blank power drives into a brick wall.

I think it could be informative, especially if you are able to track the stability with some filmed throws throughout the course of the experiment. I'm sure some people have been on the fence about using theirs as throwers, so it might help show what they're all about.

Just make sure you show that they fly well even after a good tree smack. :D

This would be great for people that are on the fence about trying one. I know I took one that I already planned on using to understable approaches and tested it on some trees. It takes a full power hit way better than 300s Prodigy Plastic which I feel it is most comparable too, and you can pretty much bend the bigger dents out in about 30 seconds with gentle pressure. The flight? Almost exactly the same... Slightly more turn and more glide, but I still felt very comfortable throwing it down a tunnel for 50 feet, 100, 200, 250 ... you get the idea.

I was very reluctant to replace both my 350g Pa1 for putting duties that had been careful seasoned over a year into straight to the chains putters, and even more reluctant to replace my super beat up 300s Pa1(s) that I could throw dead straight or work left/right with minimal fade and the Atom has replaced that slot in under 1 month during the cold months when I don't even throw everyday.

With power on a flat release the Atom is just... dead straight. With different release angles, you can hit any line that you don't want to Fade at the end with ease.

Really fills the hole in the bag that the Envy leaves, sometimes you just don't want any fade.

I won't say its for everyone, but you have to at least try it (the plastic rocks too by the way), if you don't like it, pass it along to a newer friend and watch as they fall in love with MVP just like you did when you first threw the Ion, Envy, Volt, Crave, (insert amazing disc here).

I think I thought of a new thread. "Name the disc that made you a gyro-head, and why" :D

Last edited:
So, I was thinking(dangerous indeed), I love my Soft N Envy for approaches. Not real happy with the Atom as a putter. Would the Atom and Envy be complimentary approach discs? Me thinks yes. Opinions please. Also, soft or firm Atom? Me has both.

So, I was thinking(dangerous indeed), I love my Soft N Envy for approaches. Not real happy with the Atom as a putter. Would the Atom and Envy be complimentary approach discs? Me thinks yes. Opinions please. Also, soft or firm Atom? Me has both.

Totally...especially if (as I'm hoping) the Atom will beat into a stability similar to the Theory.

I've been putting the soft Atom, driving the firm.