• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

. . . Would the Atom and Envy be complimentary approach discs? . . .

I certainly hope so, because I have two of each on the way. I went with the regular (not soft) Atom, FWIW.

Totally...especially if (as I'm hoping) the Atom will beat into a stability similar to the Theory.

I've been putting the soft Atom, driving the firm.

It's weird for me. I fell head over heals for the Envy. But then I got my hands on a Serpent. Took over putting duties. Put the Atom up against the Serpent. I just plain and simple make more putts with the Serpent. But I love the feel of the Atom. Reminds me of an Envy. I make amazing upshot with an Envy. So YUP, Atom in the bag.

Atom is pretty much a baseline Envy. How it seasons might separate them some but I don't see the atom flying like a theory without some serious seasoning. The harder you throw the atom (like an envy) it just goes straighter for longer. Doesn't flip over like a disc with high speed turn.

The plastics go nice together but I wouldn't call them complementary molds like proxy/envy even. Atom will likely beat to proxy-esq flight.

I'm thinking about doing an Atom destructive testing video to see how they hold up to intense tree hits and the like. Think it'd be informative or childish? Can't decide. I'd only do "real world" type of stuff, nothing super over the top like 20 point blank power drives into a brick wall.

Here's a start. Natural wear on Atoms that are used in practice putting in a rock backyard, and get plenty of play time on drives on rocky courses. Each Atom is pictured right where the "ATOM" raised lettering is. And they still fly fantastically.

There is definitely a healthy amount of High Speed turn. If they're thrown totally flat at over 300' of power they'll typically track right fairly gradually and begin to flatten out, but not fade, by the end of their flight. On a very soft hyzer they'll flatten out and ride flat with a soft hyzer finish. With a soft anhyzer they'll hold an Anny all the way to the ground.

that's good to hear they are seasoning up to be a little understable. I was shocked at how stable they were when new trying to turn them over on some longer drives.

How does the wear compare to other baseline putters used in the same yard?

They've worn similarly, but a little more aggressively, than the wizards I used to use and still occasionally throw in the backyard. I think the aggressiveness of the wear though is partially due to the fact that I drive much more with putters now than when I threw wizards and these Atoms have spent a lot of time driving in their short existence compared to other baseline putters I've had.

Atom is pretty much a baseline Envy. How it seasons might separate them some but I don't see the atom flying like a theory without some serious seasoning. The harder you throw the atom (like an envy) it just goes straighter for longer. Doesn't flip over like a disc with high speed turn.

The plastics go nice together but I wouldn't call them complementary molds like proxy/envy even. Atom will likely beat to proxy-esq flight.

Atom is way closer to the Proxy than the Envy out of the box. All three have great HSS, but to call the Atom a baseline Envy would connote that the Atom has the same LSS has the Envy, which it does not.

Atom is more baseline Proxy than Envy.

Atom is way closer to the Proxy than the Envy out of the box. All three have great HSS, but to call the Atom a baseline Envy would connote that the Atom has the same LSS has the Envy, which it does not.

Atom is more baseline Proxy than Envy.

This is kind of my early impression (2 weekends) of driving with the Atom. Closer to what the Proxy is doing for me, though not exactly the same. Brand new, I can see where Aim is coming from, where at full power (like driver power) I saw some similar things from the Atom and a N Envy.

But my Atom is already showing some loss of HSS compared to the Envy, and it's nowhere near as beat up as ^^^Russel's, which dude it looks like you've put those boys through some enhanced interrogation techniques.

I like the Theory, but it's almost, like, TOO sleek for me to feel as comfortable as I do with the Envy core as far as hitting a variety of release angles cleanly and with stank on it. Particularly with the feel of the electron plastic. N plastic seems to vary a little from run to run/mold to mold. Aside from one of my old Volts that was pretty stiff, these Theories I have are some of the firmest and most indestructible (i.e. least grippy) N I've handled.

GCR, thanks for the wear observations. Lines up with what I've been noticing in my "beater" firm Atom.

Anyone who has one of these (proto or legit Atom) able to compare them profile-wise to a Pure? Here's my reasoning: The Proxy feels really close to a Pure, and the Atom seems to be almost like the base version of the Proxy. Ipso facto blah blah blah, just wondering if I can putt with some Pures until the Atom comes out to be familiar with the feel.

I held my Atom up beside a friend's Grip Pure and holy moley were they similar. The Pure has a slightly more concave wing but they're damn close to being the same.

Glides more. Also Atom lacks the Envy's bead. And associated stability/overstability.

I've not thrown a proxy, but I get late turn when I rip on this thing. Like I said in post 406. It's not an envy for me. I've been carrying both.

I was really surprised with this too. I figured on a full power rip they'd show some turn, but it's more just flipping up to flat and cruising..

I would agree with this. Atoms don't turn much at all when driven in my experience and new had apparently LSS.