• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

What do you putt with? I completely agree on its potential as a mid / approach putter I honestly have only thrown my one for a few days but I see the potential.. If I was a little more confident on my 30-40' putts I could run with the Atom a lot more I love the hss that's what was missing with the Proxy for me.

I found that the Atom was a good putter from all ranges, but the downfall is that it is fast and if I missed a solid 20-30 ft putt it would go pretty far past or cut roll pretty far - I have been using the Reptilian Disc Golf SERPENT as an inside circle 1 putter. It has been great, very similar to the atom in flight as in VERY STRAIGHT but stable with mild hookup in the end , both feel very smooth and 'simple' and just go straight and sit. The greatness of the serpent is that it feels great for a putt and has low glide so it avoids any goofy lift or drift - It just made certain shots feel so simple which is what I needed. the DOWNSIDE...it has LOW GLIDE haha so hitting anything beyond 35 in a putt technique was tough so I had to loft it high in the air -- low ceiling putts weren't going to have enough lift - So Shorter range, windy putts, or hillsides etc I'd use a SERPENT and longer putts or low ceiling putts I'd use a Firm Atom. But lately I picked up a KC aviar to have a stable putter that has glide and more of a traditional putter flight and feel. I don't wanna mix in TOO much, but When I was rocking just the serpent and the atom my putting was better than it was in the past - I switch things up every once in a while to really try and figure out all my putting abilities (or lack there of)

Quite honestly the Atom can be used for everything, but I feel windy putts or putts where the backside is a danger, the atoms thin profile and speed can bite you in the buttocks. If you've never tried a Serpent, I recommend it, Also as an upshot disc.....or mainly as one actually - its straight, but slow and low glide so its easy to pitch up

If strictly putting, definitely use Electron - it grips the chains so well, for real. And honestly, Atom is THE approach disc, you should really try it in a premium plastic for that. Not to push it , but Atom in premium is the nicest short range thrower I've ever used. I don't primarily putt with the atom - I truly feel it shines as a short mid-range approach disc. It has incredible High speed stability and just lasers straight, its so comfortable in the hand and so simple with a perfect predictable flight....its the shixzzle-- I'll leave it at that.

OK OK.....you've talked me into it!!!!!! :D

I'm going to order two of the Atoms:
1) Putting only Atom: I'm afraid the Electron Soft will be to soft for my liking (love the stiffness, but not the grip, of the Latitude 64 Zero Medium) so I'm thinking either the Electron or Electron Firm?

2) Approach only Atom (currently using an Opto Pure for this spot but willing to try an Atom): I'm thinking the Neutron might not offer as much grip as I like (love the grip of Lucid from Trilogy) so I'm thinking the Proton Atom for my approach disc?

Any advice anyone can give on my plastic choices for these two discs would be greatly appreciated!

TripleB

OK OK.....you've talked me into it!!!!!! :D

I'm going to order two of the Atoms:
1) Putting only Atom: I'm afraid the Electron Soft will be to soft for my liking (love the stiffness, but not the grip, of the Latitude 64 Zero Medium) so I'm thinking either the Electron or Electron Firm?

2) Approach only Atom (currently using an Opto Pure for this spot but willing to try an Atom): I'm thinking the Neutron might not offer as much grip as I like (love the grip of Lucid from Trilogy) so I'm thinking the Proton Atom for my approach disc?

Any advice anyone can give on my plastic choices for these two discs would be greatly appreciated!

TripleB

sounds good! haha I forsee many more atoms arriving to your door though - I started with 1....then....2 more....then....I think I have 7 electrons 2 protons 2 neutrons....and I think that will last me forever but yeah the atom really is awesome, I hope you like it, and share pictures and post a review once you get out to throw -

"Up and At Them!"
radioactive-man-up-and-atom.png

sounds good! haha I forsee many more atoms arriving to your door though - I started with 1....then....2 more....then....I think I have 7 electrons 2 protons 2 neutrons....and I think that will last me forever but yeah the atom really is awesome, I hope you like it, and share pictures and post a review once you get out to throw -

LOL :thmbup:

I think I may start out with an Electron (would love to try the soft but have never liked any soft putters...they feel great in hand but when I putt with them I just have never been able to get the release I was hoping for) for putting duties and a Proton for approach duties!

TripleB

LOL :thmbup:

I think I may start out with an Electron (would love to try the soft but have never liked any soft putters...they feel great in hand but when I putt with them I just have never been able to get the release I was hoping for) for putting duties and a Proton for approach duties!

TripleB

I wanna hear what you think. I just can't imagine anyone NOT liking the Atom ---I can see people not preferring a thinner fast beadles putter as their primary putter, but it really GYRO locks onto a straight stable line and makes 30 ft putts seem easy. Have fun with it. :hfive:

I wanna hear what you think. I just can't imagine anyone NOT liking the Atom ---I can see people not preferring a thinner fast beadles putter as their primary putter, but it really GYRO locks onto a straight stable line and makes 30 ft putts seem easy. Have fun with it. :hfive:

I switched from the Soft E Atom to the Soft E Envy as my main putter as the Envy has more glide. I pop putt so I need that extra glide bad.

I mostly use the Atom for anhyzer putts as it will hold the angle longer than the Envy.

Yeah I definitely miss the loft of the Envy up close, but I would seriously consider the Atom as a alternative wind putter or for my awkward 40-60' range. Kinda dumpy in a good way.

Fresh my Neutron Atom is flying and fading exactly like my 7/10 proton Envy with the difference being the error margin. I can throw it flatter and easier down a 10' wide tunnel... who was it who said it was their ballistic putter, anyhow I agree it's great to let loose on it for those 180 footers.

Whens it coming out in plasma? Haha

Clarification on the stiffness of the Soft Atom appreciated: On a certain seller of many discs website it lists the Latitude 64 Pure Zero Medium (which I have and love the stiffness of but would prefer slightly more grip) having a 'softness' of 7 and a 'grip' of 8. That same website has for the Soft Electron Atom a 'softness' of 7 and a 'grip' of 8.

Do these two discs truly feel exactly the same???

Thanks!

TripleB

Clarification on the stiffness of the Soft Atom appreciated: On a certain seller of many discs website it lists the Latitude 64 Pure Zero Medium (which I have and love the stiffness of but would prefer slightly more grip) having a 'softness' of 7 and a 'grip' of 8. That same website has for the Soft Electron Atom a 'softness' of 7 and a 'grip' of 8.

Do these two discs truly feel exactly the same???

Thanks!

TripleB

I don't think so, Medium is Medium.... Electron Medium is similar to medium Trilogy Plastics, and if you're SO on the fence, just get one of each yo.

Hey so does any Atom off the shelf lose that late hook? Have your electrons beat into a straight fade? If I see one of those skulboy electrons there wouldn't be any hesitation. Just can't order any more discs by mail unless I start shipping to a friends house haha.

I have one of the skulboy Atoms. Medium. It is a nice straight flyer with minimal fade. Less than the Proton and neutron ones I have.

I have one of the skulboy Atoms. Medium. It is a nice straight flyer with minimal fade. Less than the Proton and neutron ones I have.

Hmm. My Skullboy Atom fades more than my electron Atom. I don't throw the Skullboy often, so it may just be that my electron Atom has hit many trees and the Skullboy is uninjured.

If you want to THROW an atom, just get a neutron or Proton. Its worth it, its like a different disc, all around short to mid-range throws it flies a solid straight line - don't miss out. ;)

Is the Proton or Neutron most like Lucid plastic as far as stiffness and grip is concerned?

To anyone, would you say the Atom is in between the Pure and the Warlock as far as how the depth of the putter feels?

Thanks!

TripleB

Last edited:
Is the Proton or Neutron most like Lucid plastic as far as stiffness and grip is concerned?

To anyone, would you say the Atom is in between the Pure and the Warlock as far as how the depth of the putter feels?

Thanks!

TripleB

Proton probably - and it feels a lot like a pure - its thinner profile - dude just get one and stop posting until its for a review of your new atoms. haha

Thanks for the advice!

I had a 1.5 hour putt off last night with some of my current putters: Opto Pure, Zero Med Pure, Zero Hard Pure, SSS Warlock, Classic Blend Judge, and Lucid Judge. It basically came down to the Zero Med Pure and the Lucid Judge. Except for the bead part the Lucid Judge felt and performed the best. Definitely prefer the feel of the premium plastic.

So I was looking at some specs (height/depth/thickness) to see what might be similar to the Judge (ie: slightly thicker than the Pure and thinner than the Warlock) but without the bead and available in premium plastic. Found a couple choices, funny thing is most were from MVP: Atom, Ion, and Anode!

TripleB

Thanks for the advice!

I had a 1.5 hour putt off last night with some of my current putters: Opto Pure, Zero Med Pure, Zero Hard Pure, SSS Warlock, Classic Blend Judge, and Lucid Judge. It basically came down to the Zero Med Pure and the Lucid Judge. Except for the bead part the Lucid Judge felt and performed the best. Definitely prefer the feel of the premium plastic.

So I was looking at some specs (height/depth/thickness) to see what might be similar to the Judge (ie: slightly thicker than the Pure and thinner than the Warlock) but without the bead and available in premium plastic. Found a couple choices, funny thing is most were from MVP: Atom, Ion, and Anode!

TripleB

Okay, stop. You just said that the Judge feels the best except for the bead, so just get a Warden. The Warden is literally designed to be a beadless Judge. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the Atom and Ion (The Ion is my putter of choice), but they're more similar in hand feel to the Pure and Warlock respectively than they are to the Judge. Everything you just said screams, "I need to buy a Warden!"

Everything you just said screams, "I need to buy a Warden!"

I agree, and that's what I looked at first...the only thing that keeps it from being everything I'm looking for is the fact it isn't available in Lucid, or an equivalent premium plasic...or not that I'm aware of.

And comparing my Classic Blend Judge beside my Lucid Judge last night made it pretty clear I prefer the Lucid.

TripleB

Okay, stop. You just said that the Judge feels the best except for the bead, so just get a Warden. The Warden is literally designed to be a beadless Judge. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the Atom and Ion (The Ion is my putter of choice), but they're more similar in hand feel to the Pure and Warlock respectively than they are to the Judge. Everything you just said screams, "I need to buy a Warden!"

I agree, and that's what I looked at first...the only thing that keeps it from being everything I'm looking for is the fact it isn't available in Lucid, or an equivalent premium plasic...or not that I'm aware of.

And comparing my Classic Blend Judge beside my Lucid Judge last night made it pretty clear I prefer the Lucid.

TripleB

Yes, the advertising is that the Warden is a "beadless Judge". But as someone who putted with the Judge then changed to the Warden and putted with it for two years, I will say that they're not as close in feel or flight as that advertising suggests. Both are good discs, and I do suggest trying a Warden to see if you like it, but don't expect it to be just a "beadless Judge".

The Warden did come out in the Fluid plastic, and there are EMac signature Fuzion Wardens out there (and they're good, at least the one I have is). So you may have to look around, but premium plastic Wardens are out there. Just don't overpay for them.

Proton probably - and it feels a lot like a pure - its thinner profile - dude just get one and stop posting until its for a review of your new atoms. haha

Yeah pretty much.. If you want a Warden look for one, if you haven't dabbled in the gyro then definitely get an Atom even if it ends up for training purposes. There's a skill needed to get the MVP stuff up to speed/ plane but just remember it's you that sucks and not the disc. The Ion frustrated me so I learned to throw it and there's no going back, the gyro rewards a good throw and the Atom is a nice middle forgiveness kind of putter.

You will know when you get the right putter in your hand whatever it is

Got my N Atoms and played a couple rounds yesterday with a 175g. Pretty much flies the same lines as my kinda beat N Envys. Maybe a gnat's eyelash less stable.

Love the feel, firm Neutron that should beat in like my Envys over time. Gonna bag it just for mold minimizing for a bit. Guess I'll boot the Envy(inconceivable), but I reserve the right to return it at a moment's notice.