• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Got some good work in with the Atoms this past weekend. I still feel Neutron is not as OS as a proton of same weight and condition. I'll say as FRESH goes - Electron, Neutron, Proton - the biggest gap is between a beat Electron then Neutron....

Hey how is the electron atom fresh? What breaks in fastest with any Atom, hss or lss? Neutron would be sweet with same hss and less lss. Oooh I can't wait..... Just gotta throw mine every day...

Hey how is the electron atom fresh? What breaks in fastest with any Atom, hss or lss? Neutron would be sweet with same hss and less lss. Oooh I can't wait..... Just gotta throw mine every day...

Had a few old beat electron atoms and they would need to be thrashed or lighter for less HSS. Generally the mold across all plastics will mellow in the LSS and over time get more turn. It wil be stable for a while. Fresh are nice slightly LSS like other platics.

So I'm back on the road and using my 4 discs in the nutsac setup.

Went Firebird, Fizzy Volt, Roc, Atom(RDG eye stamp ftw) and I forgot how deadly that guy is on apptoaches. It was killing, anytging inside 120 was essentially leaning on the pole.

Atoms are bomb.

A Fresh Electron is pretty straight with a small fade - Electron works in fairly quick but even my most beat atom has some stability - I use it for turnovers though, not something I'd trust Not to want to turn. Electron Medium (ive never used soft tho) works in the most but becomes a great turnover short range disc. Neutron Is pretty darn straight new and will likely hold that for a long time. yeah Atoms really are the bees knees

A Fresh Electron is pretty straight with a small fade - Electron works in fairly quick but even my most beat atom has some stability - I use it for turnovers though, not something I'd trust Not to want to turn. Electron Medium (ive never used soft tho) works in the most but becomes a great turnover short range disc. Neutron Is pretty darn straight new and will likely hold that for a long time. yeah Atoms really are the bees knees

Electron soft is a bit more stable but MUCH tougher. It will hold its stability longer.

Excited about trying an MVP putter for the first time and definitely leaning towards the Atom!

I prefer my putters firm, pretty good durability (don't mind some wear but don't want them chewed up after a month), and with some noticeable grip.

Without the Soft Electron being more firm than expected, it seems I'm looking to get the Atom in either the Electron, Firm Electron, Proton, or Neutron.

Which one of these would be most likely to give me some firmness (maybe Aviar DX firm) but also some decent grip (more than my SSS Warlock but less than Lucid Judge)?

I appreciate your help!

TripleB

I have an electron soft Atom that I used for 2 years for approach duty. I was twisted badly and chewed up and still was trusty enough to not flip over on approach shots. I wouldn't drive with it but it was laser straight 200 feet and in.

The only reason I don't bag it anymore is that I wanted a slightly slower disc.

Excited about trying an MVP putter for the first time and definitely leaning towards the Atom!

I prefer my putters firm, pretty good durability (don't mind some wear but don't want them chewed up after a month), and with some noticeable grip.

Without the Soft Electron being more firm than expected, it seems I'm looking to get the Atom in either the Electron, Firm Electron, Proton, or Neutron.

Which one of these would be most likely to give me some firmness (maybe Aviar DX firm) but also some decent grip (more than my SSS Warlock but less than Lucid Judge)?

I appreciate your help!

TripleB

I'd say Grab a medium and a firm atom and just see for yourself. The Electron is the most velvety grippy niceness ever....but it DOES warp and bump up a little. If strictly for putts it'll hold up ok, but its not like Trology Hard plastic or Prodigy 350 , its nice but don't expect it to stay the same shape for years. The atom is an all around great disc for throws and putts, so if PUTTING: get a medium and firm and see what you like, I honestly like both but medium is nice, especially in colder weather. If you want to THROW an atom, just get a neutron or Proton. Its worth it, its like a different disc, all around short to mid-range throws it flies a solid straight line - don't miss out. ;)

I putt with a medium E Atom and use a firm E for touch, turnover upshots. Both will show some wear before too long. Gotta order a N Atom soon, I really like how my N Envys have beat in.

If strictly for putts it'll hold up ok, but its not like Trology Hard plastic or Prodigy 350 , its nice but don't expect it to stay the same shape for years. The atom is an all around great disc for throws and putts, so if PUTTING: get a medium and firm and see what you like, I honestly like both but medium is nice, especially in colder weather. If you want to THROW an atom, just get a neutron or Proton. Its worth it, its like a different disc, all around short to mid-range throws it flies a solid straight line - don't miss out. ;)

I guess I should have been smart enough to include that information in my original post (but I wasn't):

I will only being using the Atom for putts!

Is there a big grip or stiffness difference between the Medium Electron and the Neutron or Proton?

I have an understable Star Mirage and a Lucid Judge I love for my approaches...but I might just have to take a look at the Atom for one of those spots as well :D

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB

Medium is firmer than proton, but it is very fragile. Soft has the same rim firmness, but the plate is soft and does not wrinkle like the med.

For putting only duties, I would recomend staying away from the medium if wrinkles bother you.

I guess I should have been smart enough to include that information in my original post (but I wasn't):

I will only being using the Atom for putts!

Is there a big grip or stiffness difference between the Medium Electron and the Neutron or Proton?

I have an understable Star Mirage and a Lucid Judge I love for my approaches...but I might just have to take a look at the Atom for one of those spots as well :D

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB

If strictly putting, definitely use Electron - it grips the chains so well, for real.
And honestly, Atom is THE approach disc, you should really try it in a premium plastic for that. Not to push it , but Atom in premium is the nicest short range thrower I've ever used. I don't primarily putt with the atom - I truly feel it shines as a short mid-range approach disc. It has incredible High speed stability and just lasers straight, its so comfortable in the hand and so simple with a perfect predictable flight....its the shixzzle-- I'll leave it at that.

For putting only duties, I would recomend staying away from the medium if wrinkles bother you.

How would Proton or Neutron work as a putting only plastic?

Also, does the Atom have a feel (as far as shape) that resembles the Pure in any way? I like the feel of the Pure in hand but never found a plastic I gelled with.

Thanks!

TripleB

If strictly putting, definitely use Electron - it grips the chains so well, for real.
And honestly, Atom is THE approach disc, you should really try it in a premium plastic for that. Not to push it , but Atom in premium is the nicest short range thrower I've ever used. I don't primarily putt with the atom - I truly feel it shines as a short mid-range approach disc. It has incredible High speed stability and just lasers straight, its so comfortable in the hand and so simple with a perfect predictable flight....its the shixzzle-- I'll leave it at that.

What do you putt with? I completely agree on its potential as a mid / approach putter I honestly have only thrown my one for a few days but I see the potential.. If I was a little more confident on my 30-40' putts I could run with the Atom a lot more I love the hss that's what was missing with the Proxy for me.

How would Proton or Neutron work as a putting only plastic?

Also, does the Atom have a feel (as far as shape) that resembles the Pure in any way? I like the feel of the Pure in hand but never found a plastic I gelled with.

Thanks!

TripleB

Feels very similar to a Pure, but slightly smaller dia.

I used to putt with a Pure and Envy, now it is an Atom and Envy.

Feels very similar to a Pure, but slightly smaller dia.

I used to putt with a Pure and Envy, now it is an Atom and Envy.

That's great to hear!!!

I loved the stiffness of the Zero Medium Pure but found it a little too slick. Tried the Opto Pure which gave me too much grip...I had problems with the disc leaving my hand cleanly on putts.

Hopefully I can find an Atom plastic that gives me the best of both!

Thanks for the help!

TripleB

This is definitely not a phenomenon unique to MVP/Axiom. I've noticed in lots of other brands that baseline plastic versions of the same mold end up being more compact.

Thank you for this....I thought I was going crazy yesterday. I have a Zero Medium Pure (I used to use for putting) and an Opto Pure (currently using for approaches)...I was putting with both yesterday and the Opto felt entirely different (larger) in my hand than the Zero. I definitely preferred the feel in hand of the Zero but it was a bit too slick for my liking to putt with, tried going to the Opto for putting but it was too grippy.

Currently trying to figure out which Electron Plastic will give me the stiffness of the Zero Medium with a bit more tack (but not Opto tack).

Anyway, I'm glad I read your post today...makes me think I'm not quite as crazy as I thought I was yesterday!

TripleB

Thank you for this....I thought I was going crazy yesterday. I have a Zero Medium Pure (I used to use for putting) and an Opto Pure (currently using for approaches)...I was putting with both yesterday and the Opto felt entirely different (larger) in my hand than the Zero. I definitely preferred the feel in hand of the Zero but it was a bit too slick for my liking to putt with, tried going to the Opto for putting but it was too grippy.

Currently trying to figure out which Electron Plastic will give me the stiffness of the Zero Medium with a bit more tack (but not Opto tack).

Anyway, I'm glad I read your post today...makes me think I'm not quite as crazy as I thought I was yesterday!

TripleB

It's tough to say how you'll prefer things, with my experience with Trilogy medium plastics it is similar to Electron Medium - but still I'd say get a Firm and a Medium just to see for sure, then stock up on a few.