• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Came home to a couple Atoms in the mail! Figuring the full release must be on the horizon if I'm getting them already. They feel like sex in my hand. Will report more later.

Had the same thing happen to me - It's an epidemic! Can't wait to get them out on the course tomorrow and let 'em rip. They do feel ridiculously good!

15873936797_8183e8cbe7.jpg

Just did some more time on the practice basket, and feel-wise I have to say they are more velvety than the Zero/Classic plastics I mentioned earlier. Not sure if that makes any sense, but they have plenty of flex and grip, with just a nice surface softness to them when you run your finger over them. Very unique to any plastic I'm familiar with.

Not sure which one I am going to settle on. I like the flex of the soft, but it seems to drop a bit more on longer putts for me, whereas the regular goes just fine. Gonna give them both a run tomorrow at the course, but I'm not really in a hurry to make a decision. Just gonna enjoy them.

From the video, and reports, it seems like the Atom is a slightly squished Anode.

I must say I was surprised by its stability in Mike's vid. I was thinking Magic, but it seems more stable.

From the video, and reports, it seems like the Atom is a slightly squished Anode.

I must say I was surprised by its stability in Mike's vid. I was thinking Magic, but it seems more stable.

Funny you say that, because I thought that when looking at the profile earlier.

It's very straight in the high speed portion of the flight, and for me its fade falls between the Proxy and Envy. Extremely workable. Also, the soft is a ton of fun to play catch with.

Got a couple of Atoms today. I got the sweet swirly gray one, and a baby blue Soft (just like onemilemore). The gray looks ten times better in person. I want an Axis in that plastic SO badly.

Anyway, the overmold is a little different on these than the Protos. It has less of a velvety feel and doesn't look the same as the vapor honed plastic. I haven't thrown the Atoms yet, but I doubt it will change the chain catching ability much, if at all. The Electron softs (proto and Atom) both feel the same. And the regular Electron has the perfect amount of give and grip. Reminds me of Gateway's SS to SSS.

The Atom has the tiniest of micro-beads, which makes for a nice smooth fan release. I can tell it will come out of the hand clean. I always use the fan grip on shorter approaches and the E soft is going straight in the bag for those shots.

I don't know if MVP will ever release the Anode in base plastic. But with how good the Atom feels, they may never have to.

After throwing these on the basket and on the course, I am leaning toward the Soft as my preference.

For whatever reason, I am getting a cleaner release from them, both for putts and drives. The thing I really like about it is that the soft part is really just the flight plate, where the rim is firm. So, I can get a nice grip on the flight plate, but still have confidence in the rim shape and really just snap it out there. It's a fantastic blend and I can't wait to stock up on it more.

The one other thing I realized with the Atom today: It might endanger my Proxy. I can get a little more length out of the Proxy, and it being in premium plastic is a plus. But from a minimalism standpoint, I think one Atom for drives/approaches and another one for putts will cover the same lines. I am going to give this theory a shot once the production run hits and I can dedicate a soft to being a pure thrower.

The one other thing I realized with the Atom today: It might endanger my Proxy. I can get a little more length out of the Proxy, and it being in premium plastic is a plus. But from a minimalism standpoint, I think one Atom for drives/approaches and another one for putts will cover the same lines. I am going to give this theory a shot once the production run hits and I can dedicate a soft to being a pure thrower.

Do you think electron is durable enough for a driving putter? From what I've heard, you want to avoid hitting trees like the plague, at least for the protos. I can understand the minimalist urge, but with all the trees around here, I think I'll stick to premium plastic Proxies for my drives.

I think the question is more of what you want your discs to be like. Some people, including me, don't mind throwing nicked and gashed discs. You just sand them and you're good to go. But if you want the disc to maintain its stability, them stick with N, or P.

Do you think electron is durable enough for a driving putter? From what I've heard, you want to avoid hitting trees like the plague, at least for the protos. I can understand the minimalist urge, but with all the trees around here, I think I'll stick to premium plastic Proxies for my drives.

So far my production runs seem pretty durable, but I haven't bashed them much yet. I'd be willing to toss the baseline and beat it up, then replace it for a little cheaper just to have the same feel, but keeping the Proxy and Atom in the bag will work too.

Hopefully not THAT early :) :popcorn:

They keep saying "early 2015." With release dates on Fridays, Jan 2nd seems like a logical release date. They can ship out to vendors the week of or after Christmas for sale on the 2nd.

Happy New Year!