• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Did you get any protos to try? If so is it the same feel or different.

The overmold is not the same. The Protos have a little more velvety feel. Visually, the OM's are pretty different. I'm not sure if the Atoms are vapor honed, but it doesn't seem like they are.

Overall, it still feels nice and grippy, but I haven't thrown them yet, unfortunately, so I can't compare Proto vs. Atom against the chains.

I should add that the two soft cores feel identical in the Atom and Proto.

After fondling the two for the last five minutes, I am feeling a tiny bit more flex and softness in the Proto core. But it's not enough to make a fuss about.

Thanks BigSky. I'm looking forward to trying these out. I have a soft and firm proto so it sounds like they are pretty close. Maybe they improved the durability a touch on the overmold. We shall see :popcorn:

Besides you don't get baseline because it's durable anyway right

in the proto thread I jokingly mentioned these feel like pencil erasers from old elementary school art class days but they seriously work better than one lol.

Its a putter that can clean up score card mistakes! :p .. stock atoms do this? (testers try it you will be shocked!)

I tried that eraser trick and the overmolds do erase pencil. Crudely, but it does work. But then I grabbed a Tesla and it also made the same "eraser" shavings as the putters. I've been saying forever that those overmolds are special.

As far as the Atom goes, it is a great feeling putter. I like the way it feels in the hand for putting more than the Proto and Proxy. After putting both the soft and regular Electron through their paces on my M-14, I find that the regular E releases cleaner and gives me a bit less wobble on my putts. I can't speak for those who live in cold climates, but at more normal temps, I think the regular will be most players' choice. Both plastics feel great, but that little bit more firmness just felt right.

As far as flight, the Atom putts very Anode-like. I will likely head out to the field tomorrow to see how she does at longer distances. So far, this disc seems like a hit. Out of the Envy, Proxy, Proto, and Atom, I feel like the Atom wins as a putting putter.

Man, I am borderline swooning over these things. I just wanna putt all day with them.

I'm predicting this is going to be one of the most popular releases of 2015. Once people feel Electron, it's over.

Now if I can just make up my mind between regular and soft...

depends on putting style IMO but find firm putters to give a cleaner release. I am going back to these hard ass ions come spring just for that reason but don't really spin but where I would find a more sticky/softer putter being beneficial.

I reallllllllly hope the production firm stuff is FIRM.

depends on putting style IMO but find firm putters to give a cleaner release. I am going back to these hard ass ions come spring just for that reason but don't really spin but where I would find a more sticky/softer putter being beneficial.

I reallllllllly hope the production firm stuff is FIRM.

The production stuff I have that is just labeled Electron is not what I would classify as firm. They could definitely go up a notch in firmness from it. My comps so far are Electron Soft = Zero Soft and Electron = Zero Medium. Obviously they are not the same, but that gives you a baseline to work from.

I really dig how the Soft feels, but sometimes I putt better with regular Electron. Probably just load up on both and figure it out later.

So ready to get a couple of soft Atoms. I am pretty sure that by the end of this year my bag will be close to all gyro. If one of the companies come out with speed 12, its over. I will be all gyro. I will have two bags, but I see the gyro bag getting more play.

Today, the Atom saw its first real course action. Like any straight putter, it will reward good shots, but punish bad ones. It has great glide, and is MONEY on the approach.

This disc is so good that I replaced my Ion with it today, and I didn't feel any less capable with the Atom. This one is going to make a lot of players very happy. :thmbup:

So if the Ion was made in Electron.......

I know this is what a lot of people want, but I'm just not sure how soon it's going to happen. The fact that they made an entirely new disc to debut Electron seems to point to the difficulties they've had in using it with their existing molds (something they spoke of in the Q&A on here last year).

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see MVP put out a beaded Atom in Electron prior to an Ion, but that's pure speculation on my part.

So if the Ion was made in Electron.......

To me, the Electron Atom feels like an Envy in the hand but flies like an Ion. The big difference is the plastic is designed to break-in quicker that Proton or Neutron. But, by no means is it cheap or low-quality. These aren't Pro-D or DX discs.

Been using these side by side with soft Envys and Proxy, and can definitely see a spot for them in the bag. The grip is just insane. Lots of people will be pleasantly surprised once they get their hands on them.

I really like the non blue protos. The edge of the rim fits my hand like a glove. The blue ones don't sit quite as well. Maybe the slight tweak to the Atom will feel better to me. Regardless I'm looking forward to the original Proto mold. The feel is almost identical to the Envy for me.