• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Pink beater is firm, using a pair of softs as putting putters and for open drives / approaches where I won't hit things.

Plastic feel aside...

How would you compare these to the Proxy, Mike? Flight wise.

Also, I watched the vid you put up putting with them. Do they have a bit of fade on them putting? That may have just been on some of the outside the circle putts?

Inquiring minds want to know. :thmbup:

I will definitely be giving these a shot as my inside the circle putter. I still want a soft neutron Proxy too though.

Plastic feel aside...

How would you compare these to the Proxy, Mike? Flight wise.

Also, I watched the vid you put up putting with them. Do they have a bit of fade on them putting? That may have just been on some of the outside the circle putts?

Inquiring minds want to know. :thmbup:

I'm not Mike, but I'll chime in. My thrower Atom is wearing in to fly very similarly to how the Proxy was out of the box. I throw most shots on a hyzer flip, and now the Atom will flip up, glide, and sit down with very little fade. Had a gorgeous 220 foot upshot with it today on a par 4 that left me with a tap-in bird.

The HSS is still there and the LSS is leaving. It's super glide and easy to control at the same time.

Apologies, but can somebody either post or link to a profile pic? I've seen the graphic comparing the putter profiles but a real life pic would be helpful. Much obliged.

all I have until production order comes in--

envy vs atom prototype

20141211_211924.jpg

Cheers, Aim. Can always count on you. ;)

I'm a beaded putter guy - love the feel of my Judges - but I'm an MVP fan and am dying to try this new base plastic. I was just trying to decide how many Atoms to preorder. At this point I think I'll just snag a soft - I like flex in my putters - and take it from there.

For a putting putter the blue experimental/pretooled atom is my favorite putter of all time. I'm a push putter that putts a style similar to locastro(although not nearly as well..lol). And the blue one is just straight with no fade for a putt. I've been amazing my friends over the last several weeks by consistently nailing 30 footers which I've never been able to do. Its all because I can just aim center chain at 30 feet and just trust the disc to stay straight.

I'm a little disappointed to read that the blue was retooled to make it more stable. Hopefully it won't be noticeable from a putting stand point. I have a non blue as well and it def has a little fade at the end. At 20 feet I have to aim that one at far right chain. It compliments the blue perfectky for wi day days.

Last edited:
The non-blue Protos are a completely different disc than the Atom. They are much more stable, even more overstable than the Envy.

The non-blue Protos are a completely different disc than the Atom. They are much more stable, even more overstable than the Envy.

I definitely would disagree with your assessment of the non-blue protos stability. Mine are noticeable less overstable than Fresh Envys, which becomes even more noticeable when thrown off the tee. Mine behave pretty cleanly in between the Envy and the Proxy with flight characteristics that slightly favor the Proxy.

I think what I'm seeing is more of the low speed stability. The Envy does have more HSS, but less of a bite at the end. If you're throwing the two under 150', the Proto is going to fade harder every time.

Until its first tree hit.. my lightly seasoned pink protos now fly like glidier ever so slightly less OS Envies. I asked MVP but they never answered. Are the non-blue protos a dead mold or is that still up in the air?

Took my Atoms out today for some driving practice (been putting with them all week.) They seem to have a little more High Speed Stability than I expected flying just a tick less stable than the Envy on full power shots while they are still fresh and not beaten in. They have significantly less LSS though, and I've been finding myself missing right as I adjust to the straighter putting style I will need to adopt as I am making the transition over to the Atom as my circle putter. The plastic feels phenomenal and would rival the most desirable of the tacky Gateway blends. If these beat in and lose a little bit of their HSS like my Experimentals did than they may very well become my new number one option in a single disc round. I think they will turn a lot of heads in the Open division where I feel like a lot of players may have been turned away by not having a baseline plastic offering in their putters.

Took my Atoms out today for some driving practice (been putting with them all week.) They seem to have a little more High Speed Stability than I expected flying just a tick less stable than the Envy on full power shots while they are still fresh and not beaten in. They have significantly less LSS though, and I've been finding myself missing right as I adjust to the straighter putting style I will need to adopt as I am making the transition over to the Atom as my circle putter. The plastic feels phenomenal and would rival the most desirable of the tacky Gateway blends. If these beat in and lose a little bit of their HSS like my Experimentals did than they may very well become my new number one option in a single disc round. I think they will turn a lot of heads in the Open division where I feel like a lot of players may have been turned away by not having a baseline plastic offering in their putters.

I don't play open, but I concur with all of this. My thrower Atom has beaten in to have enough turn to reliably flip from flat without turning over, but has less fade than the Envy. And it is stupid amounts of long. I've been reaching for it over most of my mids lately due to its ability to handle power but still not fade hard. It's a phenomenal disc and I really hope it puts MVP on the map a bit more.

I took my soft and regular Atoms out this afternoon for a putting battle against my current champion N Ions. The Atoms put up a valiant fight, but I need the bead, and am really dialed in to the depth of the Ion.

But one thing is abundantly clear. I am in love with regular Electron plastic. The soft is awesome too, but the regular is the perfect blend of grip and little bit of give in flight plate. Oh how I long for Electron Ions.

The other thing I noticed is the little bit of fight that Atom has at the end. It's not a dead neutral disc, and I'm seeing more of Anode in it every time I use it. For approach shots, it beats the Ion out precisely because of the lack of the finger ripping bead. I use a fan grip on short approaches and the buttery Electron, beadless bottom feels much better on the release.

I hear you on the feel of ions. they are just $$$!!! Electron has brought the sexy back to baseline.

on Friday I'll be ... HOLLA!

Is this going to be the most understable putting putter from the two companies? Not interested in how it flies when thrown.

^It sounds to me like the answer might be no, it doesn't sound as neutral-putting as the Proxy, or maybe even the Anode. But of course I haven't handled one yet.