• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

I've been putting through these winter months with a beadless R-Pro Aviar and now that it's warming up its just too soft for me to be consistent with. I've got an Xt and a glow Aviar, but I was curious about a really stiff Aviar other than the McPros which aren't exactly highly available. Is the closest thing to board stiff going to be the classic avairs?

Yes. Classics are the stiffest Aviar that is readily available.

snagged a few classics. just a tad less stiff than mcpros and seem to grip a little better for me. now my regular dx may get sidelined in the warmer months the classics feel terrific. i need to get one of my mcpros a little more beat to hopefully add some grip to them. the classics are a little straighter longer than my dx or mcpros. probably the added grip. so fat I'm liking the classics a lot

Normally I put with Wizards, but today I for some reason brought my old 150g dx Aviar out to the course. I hadn't thrown it in almost two years and I was super pleasantly surprised over how it performed. It was AMAZING for spin putts, it just went straight super effortlessly. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a stack of Aviars, totally underrated disc. I can see myself dropping the Wizard for this disc

Normally I put with Wizards, but today I for some reason brought my old 150g dx Aviar out to the course. I hadn't thrown it in almost two years and I was super pleasantly surprised over how it performed. It was AMAZING for spin putts, it just went straight super effortlessly. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a stack of Aviars, totally underrated disc. I can see myself dropping the Wizard for this disc

How is the #1 selling disc of all time, the putter in more champions' bags than any other, "underrated"?

Its the best selling disc of all time, yet it's still underrated. It's just that good

So underrated that someone who bags mostly MVP (me) has 2 Aviars and a couple of clones (Omega SS).

my black dx pumpkin has gotten a little puddle top to it and its even more magical. didn't miss a single shot today in the circle and canned 2 50 footers with it. hoping my other ones develop the same puddle.

So underrated that someone who bags mostly MVP (me) has 2 Aviars and a couple of clones (Omega SS).

It's the only non MVP/Axiom I still bag. I have 1 RW Pro Aviar (and 3 backups) that are for putting, approaching, and drives my Envy won't work for. The only other putter that came close to taking the spot was the Omega SS. Yesterday I lost my towel, and the wood Aviar saved my grip when I had sweaty hands. I was even holding it before drives with other discs to help absorb moisture.

It's the only non MVP/Axiom I still bag. I have 1 RW Pro Aviar (and 3 backups) that are for putting, approaching, and drives my Envy won't work for. The only other putter that came close to taking the spot was the Omega SS. Yesterday I lost my towel, and the wood Aviar saved my grip when I had sweaty hands. I was even holding it before drives with other discs to help absorb moisture.

It is nice having something a little slower than the Envy/Proxy combo for shorter holes. I throw Omegas and Aviars for the same shots though, usually more dependant on weather. Now that it's a million degrees in Texas, I'm throwing a champ Aviar. In the winter, the Omega SS usually comes out.

It's the only non-trilogy mold that I bag consistently.

Switching back to Aviars from trilogy putters has definitely been the biggest equipment improvement in my game in the last year.

I have an R-Pro and an XT. R-Pro is gummy, don't like how it always feels dusty unless you wash it off. Picked up an XT to compare the new plastic. Same grippiness but a good deal firmer. Doesn't hold onto dirt/dust as much as the R-Pro.
My conclusion is to go with XT. There is no reason to prefer the R-Pro.

I'm still lovin' the Aviar PandA.

I lean heavily on the mold for my thickly wooded courses because of the speed, stability, and grip.

They still get used a lot on non-wooded courses because I throw a little further than average and this mold powers up well.

My current setup seems to be working well:
2 black DX PandAs for putting only
1 orange DX PandA for understable needs (I just Sharpied this one and it is in my Marm O. Discs thread)
1 pink XT PandA auditioning for driving and approaching
1 Champ PandA for overstable needs, this one is the beefiest PandA I've thrown
1 pink Star Av3 auditioning for driving and approaching

The XT is fantastic and I might replace my DX slots with XT. It grips well, is easily more durable than DX, and is more overstable than DX. So far I'm lovin' the XT. There are only two things that will keep me from swapping out the DX for XTs. Number one, XTs are very durable. Almost too durable. I like cycling my plastic and i don't get to play as much as I used to so this is a bigger deal to me. Number two, I might go to DX (or XT) Aviar3s if/when they get released. Which brings me to my next topic:

The Aviar3 is making a convincing case for replacing my Champ PandA. It is a tic faster, likes lower lines and is at least as overstable, maybe slightly more overstable. And I like the flatter "dome" in-the-hand feel. It drives really well... but as hard as I've tried I can't seem to get it out past 350'! ;) LOL It's too overstable for general woodsy course use but DX Av3s might be just right for cycling.

I feel like the 6 Aviars in the bag are enough to cover almost anything 300' and shorter. Polecats get used for slow glidey finesse shots, and Champ Rhyno gets the overstable and windy shots... but the Av3 is cutting into the action that the Rhyno sees :)

Last edited:
Bump, I'm with you Marmo, I've been recently rediscovering the magic of DX P & A's. :thmbup:

... and Champ Rhyno gets the overstable and windy shots... but the Av3 is cutting into the action that the Rhyno sees :)

The Aviar3 cut into my Rhyno's workload, too.... to the point that I took the Rhyno out of the bag.

(But if I use a larger bag or a backpack bag in a tournament, the Rhyno is the first to be added back to the bag.)

I putt with P2s. I found the DX P&A to be too finicky with wind putting. However, I recently bought the DX AV3. For anyone curious, it's pretty stuff for DX plastic. Compared to a DX P&A it's definitely stiffer. I'm going out today to do some approach and mid work and I'll let ya'll know how it compares. Definitely a flat top for sure.

I'm super stoked to hear how it goes for you; I've been anxiously awaiting the DX Av3!!!

If there was a day to test the AVR3, today was the day. I did driving, approaching, and putting. The wind for the most part was at least 15 mph gusting probably to 20. Course is on an old floodplain. All wide-open very very few technical holes. I think probably compared to the star, the DX has a touch more glide. It did better with the wind in terms of resisting it on longer putts. Around 30ft. In the calm you do notice the lack of glide compared to a P2. I threw it one time on a good hyzer into a 15mph steady wind, it flipped flat, flew straight and parked a 225ft. hole. The DX plastic is rubbery but not chalky and semi stiff in mid 50's sun. I imagine it will gym up in warmer temps, but that will only give it more grip to rip. It did fine putting and might use it in a tourney tomorrow wind dependent, but it will shine as a solid approach and driving putter. It did okay with flicks as well. I should note as well, like someone else previously mentioned, it does have some torque resistance, but isn't wholly forgiving to a bad line. It'll make a spot in my bag, but I'm not sure if it will take full putting duties and approach, or just be a solid driving and approach putter.

If there was a day to test the AVR3, today was the day. I did driving, approaching, and putting. The wind for the most part was at least 15 mph gusting probably to 20.

Same here. Wind of 15-20, with gusts to 30. I had a rough day overall (+8 through 9 holes), but I had one Av3 shot that was memorable. Threw about 130 ft. straight into the wind. The Av3 flew straight, didn't fade out, but didn't get turned over, either, and landed about 20 ft. right. So I've got good in-the-wind confidence in this disc now.

Latest posts