• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

I actually did have one once. It was a CFR disc, and I have never seen nor heard of a beadless KC before or since. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't have It and throw it for a couple of years myself

On an unrelated note, I thought it was interesting that DaveD said the Whale is an Aviar. Does he just use Aviar as a generic putter term now or is the Whale truly close to an Aviar shape?

I'd have to respectfully disagree that the Whale is a V-Tech Aviar. The Nova is an overmolded Aviar P&A, but the Whale top does not look like the Aviar top to me.

I'd have to respectfully disagree that the Whale is a V-Tech Aviar. The Nova is an overmolded Aviar P&A, but the Whale top does not look like the Aviar top to me.

What about the KC Pro Whales?

What about the KC Pro Whales?

Not sure if that's internet humor coming across. But to take the question seriously: I am not familiar with KC Pro Whales. I only know of them in XT and Champion plastics. Maybe there was a DX run? But I don't know anything about KC Pro Whales...

I don't have much experience with small bead Aviars. Am I right to assume they're more overstable than beadless Aviars but not quite as beefy as a BB? Are they closer in stability to a beadless or BB?

I am a Small Bead Aviar fan. They definitely hold a line better than beadless Aviars without the fade of the BB's.

They sit nicely in the middle.

Not sure if that's internet humor coming across. But to take the question seriously: I am not familiar with KC Pro Whales. I only know of them in XT and Champion plastics. Maybe there was a DX run? But I don't know anything about KC Pro Whales...

They were run in DX.

McPro Aviars are, for all intents and purposes, KC Pro PnA's.

I've really only fondled the earlier runs of McPro Avairs, but I've found the plastic to be more waxy than KC Pro (especially the first release). It's more like Lat's TM2 blend.

I am a Small Bead Aviar fan. They definitely hold a line better than beadless Aviars without the fade of the BB's.

They sit nicely in the middle.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be picking up a few DX Omegas when they're released. I've been interested in trying out the small bead Aviar for awhile. I just could never bring myself to "audition" a disc for my putting putter that isn't in regular production. Plus the Omega (until now) never came in a hard enough plastic for my taste. I prefer stiff/hard plastics like KC Pro for putting. For me DX is the next best thing. I prefer beaded putters/mids. I currently putt with KC Aviars. I like my KC Aviars but they have a little to much fade brand new. That's why I like my KC Aviars well seasoned for putting duties. I hope these DX Omegas work out for me. The P&As have a great flight but I need a bead.

I apologize for the thread jack, but can someone please explain to me the differences in Omega putters. So BB Omegas aren't the same as BB Aviars? Are the BB Omegas the older BB Aviar mold? What plastics are closest to DX & KC Pro? Sorry, I just really don't feel like starting a new thread. The millennium website wasn't as helpful as I was hoping it would be. All I know for certain is that the Omegas that aren't BB are the small bead Aviar mold.

I apologize for the thread jack, but can someone please explain to me the differences in Omega putters. So BB Omegas aren't the same as BB Aviars? Are the BB Omegas the older BB Aviar mold? What plastics are closest to DX & KC Pro? Sorry, I just really don't feel like starting a new thread. The millennium website wasn't as helpful as I was hoping it would be. All I know for certain is that the Omegas that aren't BB are the small bead Aviar mold.

If you want a stiffer small bead, the Omega AP is what you want. Much like the Aviar, it's gone through flexibility changes over the years, but there were stiff runs in there.

As for the BB mold, this guy's pretty trustworthy...;)

The Omega Big Bead is a different mold from the JK and KC

The Omega BB has the Aviar P&A/classic(small) nose. Literally an omega with a big bead on it.

The JK and KC have the Aviar-X(blunt) nose

The SS plastic is softer than JK, and will be close to the 3x JKs in softness and grip.

The AP plastic is "driver pro" similar to what you will find in Leopards, Katanas, Destroyers, etc. It isn't floppy however - it molded up firm but the flight plate has give to it. This is my preferred driving putter now

BB Omegas are the P&A mold with a Big Bead. A typical BB Aviar-X has a more blunt nose than the P&A and Omega. So far it has been released in AP (Driver Pro), ET (XT) and SS (R-Pro). There is also a limited release in DT (DX) and its my understand that there will be a production release of the BB Omega in the DT plastic sometime this spring/summer.

Omega AP is nothing like KC Pro.

The plastic is a stiff pro, at least the one I have is. It's not KC pro, or a big bead aviar, but it is a small bead in a stiff pro plastic. That's what I meant, closest to a I pro small bead aviar available as far as I know.

Anyway, back to the p&a. We have a pretty stiff wind here today and I was practicing my up shots in the yard with a gummy champ I got. It flies nicely in the wind, despite being lighter (170g). Even in the cold wind it still has a good grip to it.

Long story short, gummy champ = nicer approach disc every time I throw it.

Last edited:
They were run in DX.

I've really only fondled the earlier runs of McPro Avairs, but I've found the plastic to be more waxy than KC Pro (especially the first release). It's more like Lat's TM2 blend.

Yes, and I saw a DX Whale today. My McPro Aviars are very slick, also, or certainly started out that way. Not grippy at all.

Also, pursuant to a couple of other posts: at the PIAS today I did a comparison of the DX Whale to the Aviars (classic and P&A). I can kind of see where the very top of the Whale is like an Aviar P&A. Of course the bottoms are different, as the Whale is V-Tech and beaded, and the Aviar P&A is not. But the sides of the Whale really drop off, while the Aviar curves down less steeply to meet the bottom half of the rim. And that's why the discs don't seem the same to me (beyond the V-Tech, of course).

If they release a McPro Whale, I might get one; oderwise, I'm putting with other discs (Warden, Judge, Pure).

Is the only difference between the Aviar P&A and the Classic Aviar (Grid Stamp) the plastic? I was wondering because the numbers make the Classic look like a slightly straighter Aviar P&A in a firmer plastic. Just wondering if they use the same mold for both the P&A and the Classic.

I've been putting through these winter months with a beadless R-Pro Aviar and now that it's warming up its just too soft for me to be consistent with. I've got an Xt and a glow Aviar, but I was curious about a really stiff Aviar other than the McPros which aren't exactly highly available. Is the closest thing to board stiff going to be the classic avairs?

Latest posts