• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Axiom Alias

Great video Mike. It looked like Mike was trying to flip it around 3:15 but it didn't want much of that

OK, just tossed the Alias a bit more, and it is silly straight. No turn, no fade. It just sits down. Reminds me of a Mako a bit.

How far were you throwing it with no fade? I was tossing it full power and it was straight, but there was definitely some fade at the end.

Not sure on distance, maybe 250? I was powering it up all the way and throwing with a touch of hyzer. How much fade are you seeing? Haven't had a chance to watch Mike's video yet.

Not a lot of fade, just a little fight at the end. To me, no fade means dead to where you throw it. A Pro D Zeppelin comes to mind.

I think most throwers will find the Alias to be straight-stable, with less chance to blow by the target.

Definitely agree on the last point. It's very placement friendly. Also powers down really nicely. Going to put it against the Axis out on the course this weekend.

Will do one disc round videos (Envy/Alias) at Turkey Lake T-2 this Mon/Tue! I can see Envy have good stability even with Mike C's power which is very good, ditto with Alias. My BH is pretty much OAT-less but it is my FH that needs more work to clean it up!

How far were you throwing it with no fade? I was tossing it full power and it was straight, but there was definitely some fade at the end.

OK, went and watched Mike's video to see how my flights compare. My Alias is flying similar (albeit shorter) to hit tosses around the 3:10 mark. Just straight with a baby baby fade. I'm not as good as getting height under my drives, so I don't see the fade like he gets out of it later in the video.

I'll probably get a chance to play on Monday morning. Its going to be a two disc round with the Envy and Alias. I want to see how they both do in real course conditions.

Great video again Mike. Envy looks significantly more stable than Ion, depending on your video. Now MVP (Axiom) has discs for people who didn't like their discs because of the rounded inner edge! :)

I deliberately took the Axis out of the bag today and threw the Alias in its place. It hit the same lines, with nearly the same distance. It just felt like it took longer to do it. Other than feel in the hand, the two discs are pretty interchangeable. Choose your flavor.

Great video again Mike. Envy looks significantly more stable than Ion, depending on your video. Now MVP (Axiom) has discs for people who didn't like their discs because of the rounded inner edge! :)

They will find another reason not to like them, no worries.

The envy is going to be a great addition to the bag, i wanted somehting shorter than a vector that was nice and stable, this looks like just that.

I deliberately took the Axis out of the bag today and threw the Alias in its place. It hit the same lines, with nearly the same distance. It just felt like it took longer to do it. Other than feel in the hand, the two discs are pretty interchangeable. Choose your flavor.

I agree but their really is a difference in the line, which I can't quite articulate, it's more tangent like (which is kinda unique in the disc world) and Mike said as much after his first day with em. I think the best way to sum it up is how MVP did, a Tangent with more stability. The subtext is that more stability lets you rip on it more and get more distance.

Leaning towards switching to the Alias over the Axis after throwing them today. Hard to put into words what exactly is different about them, but the Alias just seems to fly smoother. I'd say a tiny bit more HSS and LSS as well. I think the rim is a bit more comfortable too.

Many players who didn't like the Axis might love the feel of the Alias. The same goes for the Envy. It has an Ion-like flight in a different form. (Although it's more stable)

I agree with Mike in that the Alias has a very comfortable grip.

Had a chance to throw the Alias today (thanks MikeC!)...

First things first... the pictures/videos of these discs online do NOT do them justice. The plastic, finish, colors, stamps... just everything about these discs are beautiful. There's been lots of discussion and comparisons between Axiom Discs and the Innova Atlas discs with colored overmolds, but let me say, the comparison ends there. Axiom Discs take the cake in aesthetics. They're simply gorgeous. While Innova might have mass marketed colored overmolds first, the good folks at MVP have mastered it in the form of Axiom Discs. I can't stress enough how visually stunning these discs are in the sunlight.

Now, onto the Alias...
Let me preface this by saying I'm not someone who instantly clicked with the Axis. As a matter of fact, I still haven't. I have an Eclipse, Proton and Neutron Axis, and even though I'm determined to unravel the mystery around throwing this disc properly, I'm about 50/50 when it comes to it doing what I want it to upon release.

Now, with that in mind, when I first held the Alias, the feel of an Axis is not what came to mind. For me, this disc felt more like a Tangent, which I believe has been stated by others, if I'm not mistaken. Like the Envy, the Alias feels really really good in the hand. So, right away I feel like I was a little more confident throwing this disc than I am an Axis.

The conditions today were 20 degree temps and 20+ mph winds. So, all bundled up and chucking this disc into a huge wind gust is hardly a comprehensive assessment, I think. I had some good throws, and I had some bad ones. I saw some OAT when trying to power up this disc, which is consistent with what I get when trying to power up an Axis. So, let's chalk that one up to my form, and not the disc. (Had lots of other proof during the round that the disc flies juuuuuuuust fine.)

Where I saw success with this disc (in my non-OAT throws) was putting this disc on a line and it holding it throughout the flight with a slight fade at the end. I threw it for a few BH spike hyzers around some trees and the Alias just sat right down under the basket with no rolling away or big bounces.

If I had to choose between Axis and Alias, I feel like additional time throwing one of these two, for me, would be rewarded more by throwing and acclimating myself with the Alias. With a Tensor-Alias-Tangent range of mids in the bag, I feel like every shot I'd want to make with a mid would be covered in these three.

I think this disc will be a winner with a lot of folks. Big arms will appreciate the ability to throw it on an anny and get a little flex and the end so it sits down nicely. The disc hyzers nicely as well and holds a good line in the air without the fade kicking in too hard at the end. Folks like me who don't regularly throw 400' will like it's consistent straight flight and gentle fade at the end, again, sitting down where it lands.

Like the Envy, I think the Alias is a hit. Beginners just breaking into the game would be served well with an MVP Anode / Axiom Alias combo to start them off. This disc has something for everyone. Once again, well done, Axiom. Looking forward to picking up some of these as well!

Latest posts