• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Axiom Alias

Had a chance to throw the Alias today (thanks MikeC!)...

First things first... the pictures/videos of these discs online do NOT do them justice. The plastic, finish, colors, stamps... just everything about these discs are beautiful. There's been lots of discussion and comparisons between Axiom Discs and the Innova Atlas discs with colored overmolds, but let me say, the comparison ends there. Axiom Discs take the cake in aesthetics. They're simply gorgeous. While Innova might have mass marketed colored overmolds first, the good folks at MVP have mastered it in the form of Axiom Discs. I can't stress enough how visually stunning these discs are in the sunlight.

Now, onto the Alias...
Let me preface this by saying I'm not someone who instantly clicked with the Axis. As a matter of fact, I still haven't. I have an Eclipse, Proton and Neutron Axis, and even though I'm determined to unravel the mystery around throwing this disc properly, I'm about 50/50 when it comes to it doing what I want it to upon release.

Now, with that in mind, when I first held the Alias, the feel of an Axis is not what came to mind. For me, this disc felt more like a Tangent, which I believe has been stated by others, if I'm not mistaken. Like the Envy, the Alias feels really really good in the hand. So, right away I feel like I was a little more confident throwing this disc than I am an Axis.

The conditions today were 20 degree temps and 20+ mph winds. So, all bundled up and chucking this disc into a huge wind gust is hardly a comprehensive assessment, I think. I had some good throws, and I had some bad ones. I saw some OAT when trying to power up this disc, which is consistent with what I get when trying to power up an Axis. So, let's chalk that one up to my form, and not the disc. (Had lots of other proof during the round that the disc flies juuuuuuuust fine.)

Where I saw success with this disc (in my non-OAT throws) was putting this disc on a line and it holding it throughout the flight with a slight fade at the end. I threw it for a few BH spike hyzers around some trees and the Alias just sat right down under the basket with no rolling away or big bounces.

If I had to choose between Axis and Alias, I feel like additional time throwing one of these two, for me, would be rewarded more by throwing and acclimating myself with the Alias. With a Tensor-Alias-Tangent range of mids in the bag, I feel like every shot I'd want to make with a mid would be covered in these three.

I think this disc will be a winner with a lot of folks. Big arms will appreciate the ability to throw it on an anny and get a little flex and the end so it sits down nicely. The disc hyzers nicely as well and holds a good line in the air without the fade kicking in too hard at the end. Folks like me who don't regularly throw 400' will like it's consistent straight flight and gentle fade at the end, again, sitting down where it lands.

Like the Envy, I think the Alias is a hit. Beginners just breaking into the game would be served well with an MVP Anode / Axiom Alias combo to start them off. This disc has something for everyone. Once again, well done, Axiom. Looking forward to picking up some of these as well!

I'm curious why you'd stick with the axis if it sucks for you half the time.

I'm curious why you'd stick with the axis if it sucks for you half the time.

I don't carry it regularly, actually. It's one that I pull out from time to time and test with and see how it works for me a different points as I continue to learn more. I picked them up in different plastics just to gauge differences between them to find that I pretty much suck with an Axis in all plastics. lol :doh:

I have a bunch of discs I do that with just to see how they perform as I change and make tweaks to form and stuff like that. The Axis is basically a personal challenge at this point. I don't ever see it being one I bag regularly or a go-to for me, but it would be nice to just know I figured out what I do wrong with that one.

I have a question for the testers.

Do your Alias's have a micro ridge where the overmold meets the top core? I assume the Tangent and Alias share the same core. If you run your finger over the flight plate to the overmold on the Tangent, it's flush and smooth. But the Alias has that tiny ridge where the overmold sits a bit higher.

I was just wondering if this might be one of the reasons the Alias is more OS than the Tangent. The wing and PLH are also slightly different.

Ok, I wasn't even considering getting one of these until I saw Mike C's video and he says at 1:07 that he might pull the Axis from his bag for the Alias. The comments about it being slower than the Axis had me wondering about which would be better in the wind, but then I got to thinking, when would I throw the Axis into any kind of headwind anyway for it to matter?

I LOVE my Axis. I have a stack of FR Orange to serve me practically forever (Ok, its only a few, but the way these things take a beating, I may never actually need another one other than the first one I ever got). It would be tougher for me to pull the Axis from my bag than it was the Buzzz, but now I am actually considering picking up an Alias to at least give it a test, which is more than I can say for any other mid that has come out since the Axis.

I don't carry it regularly, actually. It's one that I pull out from time to time and test with and see how it works for me a different points as I continue to learn more. I picked them up in different plastics just to gauge differences between them to find that I pretty much suck with an Axis in all plastics. lol :doh:

I have a bunch of discs I do that with just to see how they perform as I change and make tweaks to form and stuff like that. The Axis is basically a personal challenge at this point. I don't ever see it being one I bag regularly or a go-to for me, but it would be nice to just know I figured out what I do wrong with that one.

Ah

Didn't notice your years playing. That's a good reason to continue with a tough disc.

If I get a chance I'd like to do an Axis VS Alias video for me and others wondering which will suit them better. If the weather cooperates I'll try to make it happen. Still got some throws from yesterday featuring me and hammy trying to throw them at a heavily wooded course while it was 20 degrees and super windy. Gonna try to edit that together tonight.

I have a question for the testers.

Do your Alias's have a micro ridge where the overmold meets the top core? I assume the Tangent and Alias share the same core. If you run your finger over the flight plate to the overmold on the Tangent, it's flush and smooth. But the Alias has that tiny ridge where the overmold sits a bit higher.

I was just wondering if this might be one of the reasons the Alias is more OS than the Tangent. The wing and PLH are also slightly different.

I feel the seam where the overmold and more meet, and it feels similar to the Axis, to me. It is less noticeable on drivers, so I am wondering if it just has to do with more overmold being present there.

Via dealer's email:

The Neutron Alias will be Axiom's debut midrange, available in dozens of color combinations.

The Alias is essentially a new addition to the Tangent family. With a similar feel to the Tangent, the Alias brings a step of extra stability -- for power throws, new lines, and new ways to go dead straight.

The Alias occupies a central role in every player's bag -- a placement midrange that excels at "straight" as well as the anhyzer pan-out and sweeping hyzer lines. Simply put, this is a candidate for do-it-all midrange. Put the Alias up against the hottest straight mids in your shop, including the MVP Axis -- the Alias' modern look and feel, and precise stable flights, just might make your customers switch!

ALIAS Key Selling Points:
- Stable placement midrange
- Stunning dual-color premium plastic
- Pairs perfectly with the MVP Tangent
- Similar stability to MVP Axis
- Less torque-sensitive than Axis
- Reliable laser-straight flight

Midrange Driver | 21.5cm diameter | 12mm rim width
Available in 174g - 178g
production colors listed here http://www.axiomdiscs.com/models/alias
special color requests not guaranteed

The alias will definitely be getting tried by me. My tangents are pretty HSS so I don't know how it will work out but definitely worth a shot IMO. Since i started using tangents I don't hardly drive with putters anymore. Might be nice to have a more stable version, just not sure that I NEED it.

I took Alias for 1 disc round yesterday and it is clearly quite stable compliment to Tangent as it should be. I was throwing Envy as far as Alias most of time but Alias can go bit lower lines than Envy. Will try the 1 disc video of Alias today. As for Envy, I am getting more impressed of Envy as driving putter. My best drive with Envy was about 270 feet at pretty decent lower line.

I know it's still early and not many have thrown this, but how dies the envy stack up against the suspect? Anyone thrown both.

I know it's still early and not many have thrown this, but how dies the envy stack up against the suspect? Anyone thrown both.

For me, the Suspect was faster and more beefy. No matter how much I ripped on the Suspect, it would still fade. I can get the Envy to end straight if I really pull on it. Distance-wise, they're probably on par. I've noticed the same thing as 811rv - the Alias and Envy can cover similar distances.

i got to throw mine a little today. interesting disc. to me it kind of felt more like an axis than a tangent in the hand.
i was throwing it with a fresh tangent my lucid truth and bio truth. so far it seems to have the hss of my bio truth, which doesnt tend to drift R at all, maybe a touch more and the fade of my lucid truth, which just stays straight. i def see why axiom relates it too the tangent while most of the testers are leaning to axis.
not sure how i feel about it just yet. i like the flight, not crazy about the feel. i think if it were a flattop id bag it and not look back

i got to throw mine a little today. interesting disc. to me it kind of felt more like an axis than a tangent in the hand.
i was throwing it with a fresh tangent my lucid truth and bio truth. so far it seems to have the hss of my bio truth, which doesnt tend to drift R at all, maybe a touch more and the fade of my lucid truth, which just stays straight. i def see why axiom relates it too the tangent while most of the testers are leaning to axis.
not sure how i feel about it just yet. i like the flight, not crazy about the feel. i think if it were a flattop id bag it and not look back

The Alias is shaped much like a Tangent (same core, very similar wing, flat top), but flies like an Axis.