• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

Haha I do, despite its niche praise it looks on paper to be an awful lot like other discs that people likely already have in the bag. Definitely one of the gotta try overmolds but who sets out to try another fairway driver that's like a teebird?

Personally I dodged it for a while until I got beat up in the wind a couple times. The Switch has the same numbers but got blown around badly and unpredictably. Too much turn or too much fade, enter the Crave... just consistent and reliable and less affected by the wind.

It's like "Whose line is it anyway", the numbers are made up and don't mean anything anyway. ;)

My plasma crave is one of most thrown and most loved discs in my bag. Completely dependable, uber versitle, and just all around awesome. I lean on it especially hard when I need to "disc down" and get a run away round back on track. I'd be incredibly lost without it!

My plasma crave is one of most thrown and most loved discs in my bag. Completely dependable, uber versitle, and just all around awesome. I lean on it especially hard when I need to "disc down" and get a run away round back on track. I'd be incredibly lost without it!

I agree. I love my plasma crave. It's been with me for years now, and it's one of my most dependable discs.

I also bag a proton crave that is slightly heavier in case I need a bit more stability.

Attachments

• 20181031_203532.jpg
    20181031_203532.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 45
Is the Crave more similar to a Teebird, Rival, etc. or a TL, FD, etc. type of disc?

Honestly for me a N Crave in lightweight reminds me of a heavier shaky Z XL (in flight) The plasma reminds me of my star one.. But better and longer.

Is the Crave more similar to a Teebird, Rival, etc. or a TL, FD, etc. type of disc?

A heavy Neutron or Proton Crave will fly like a broken in Teebird. Long, straight, consistent but gentle fade, tons of glide.

Plasmas seem to start with a touch less high speed stability. Better if you're looking for a more neutral driver that does gentle turnovers better.

I find both types of Craves useful. I carry a fresh N and beat N, and would go with an N and Plasma if I lost my beat Crave.

How do the proton glow Craves fly? Any different from regular proton / neutron?

Well in my limited experience and armspeed, I've got a couple 157 SE eclipses. I think they are great! A little less stability than proton and a bit more grip. I couldn't tell you what the PLH is but I found the same things with the Envy, just inexplicably straighter and better.. Kinda like a proton with a year of wear on it.

Too many runs of the Teebird / TL to really be 100% accurate.

I find the Crave flies like a special edition Teebird which had more lateral movement than the common Teebird. I just dated myself. :doh:

I find that the Servo is closer to the common Teebird.

Too many runs of the Teebird / TL to really be 100% accurate.

I find the Crave flies like a special edition Teebird which had more lateral movement than the common Teebird. I just dated myself. :doh:

Odd, Craves have less turn and less fade than a TeeBird for me. I think some of this comes down to speed vs spin.

Then again... which run of TeeBirds I have thrown may be the real key.

Odd, Craves have less turn and less fade than a TeeBird for me.

I adore Servos and have a Crave in the bag. For me, Servos are like premium plastic Leopards which is why I love them Servos so much. Craves are closer to Teebirds IMO. They are straighter overall, more HSS and less LSS. Servos have too much of an S shape to be a Teebird replacement IMO. I have a ton of Teebirds and I honestly feel the Teebird is the better disc. But I'm running an all MVP setup right now so the Crave is in the bag.

I don't have many Servos or Craves so my small sample size might be an issue. YMMV.

I adore Servos and have a Crave in the bag. For me, Servos are like premium plastic Leopards which is why I love them Servos so much. Craves are closer to Teebirds IMO. They are straighter overall, more HSS and less LSS. Servos have too much of an S shape to be a Teebird replacement IMO. I have a ton of Teebirds and I honestly feel the Teebird is the better disc. But I'm running an all MVP setup right now so the Crave is in the bag.

I don't have many Servos or Craves so my small sample size might be an issue. YMMV.

I find the opposite. The Crave has been inconsistent for me. Some have been super beefy with nearly no HSS and others turn more like -1.5 to -2. I know that there was issues with early Craves. I find little HSS with the Servo, perhaps .5. I get the most Tee-Bird like shots of of my Servo compared to my Crave. There has be inconsistency with the Servo as well, but for the most part have been more consistent.

My Servo was beefy glideless crap, someone else loves it now. I do have a 165 proton Crave that's in the same territory and the 152 plasma I dumped, just weirdly and differently beefy compared to my Neutrons and eclipses.

And that cinches it, it's time for the Crave to tag along again. I kinda missed it on the weekend, would have been a good disc to be familiar with. It's just 20' itis with me. I missed the accuracy though.. So hard to do the smart thing sometimes. As my game started to fall apart it would have been a nice easy driver

Last edited:
I've thrown 6 Craves - 3 Neutron, 3 Eclipse - none of them have had the 0 Turn, +2 fade I expect from a Teebird. They've been everywhere from -.5 to -2 turn (eclipse is super flippy) and generally 1 fade.

This is not a bad thing - as I love the slightly flippier flight of the Crave to the Teebird. As stated before, reminds me of the old SE Teebirds - which never went into regular production. I carried those in the mid-2000s as my #1 driver. I think they were the precursor to the Teebird-L. You could stand those up and they would carry a lot further than the Champ Teebirds of the day.

The Neutron Servos I've thrown were generally 0 turn, 2 fade - though the turn ratio could be as much as -1. That said - they don't have the glide of the teebird.

I agree with the comments that Servos have more turn and fade vs the Crave.

Having thrown a lot of Craves, their HSS does vary.

In my experience Neutrons are the most consistent. They've always been 0 HSS for me, MAYBE -0.25, for all weights over 170. The 150's would turn for me, but pretty much every 150g disc does. In fact my newest Crave, a 170's misprint Neutron with high PLH, it flies very close to a fresh TB. Nice healthy fade and no turn, replaced my more OS Neutron that was getting worn to straight.

Protons have been close to as consistent for me, but I did get one or two that felt like -.05 HSS when new. Between that and preferring the grip of the Neutron Craves I've stuck with that plastic.

Plasma for me has been consistently -1 HSS. I'd be throwing the plasmas more but I have a neutron worn in to about -1HSS / 0.5LSS, which is pretty much the exact slot these fill. So I keep a few plasmas to throw in place of my 8 year old Neutron on water holes, and as backups to replace the season Neutron if I lose it, but they've never been my primary Craves.

Have not tried eclipse yet.

If I were just getting started with Craves, I'd get a max weight Neutron for dependable straight shots and a 168-171 Plasma for shaping lines.