• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

Does it fly any differently? I really like Plasma, it's just the prefect flex for my taste, and I've been eyeballing a Crave.

I got the Plasma a couple weeks after the Neutron. I was instantly jazzed after throwing the Neutron around a field, including drives. The Plasma flew even better, same flight(stability) but even better glide. The Neutron is flat, the Plasma has small dome...which is probably what's separating them.

As I mentioned here somewhere, I had originally tried the Crave when it was first released a few years back, an early run Proton. I was unimpressed. But after giving the Crave another shot when setting up an all Axiom bag recently, I just clicked with it, and am really glad I revisited the disc.

I got the Plasma a couple weeks after the Neutron. I was instantly jazzed after throwing the Neutron around a field, including drives. The Plasma flew even better, same flight(stability) but even better glide. The Neutron is flat, the Plasma has small dome...which is probably what's separating them.

As I mentioned here somewhere, I had originally tried the Crave when it was first released a few years back, an early run Proton. I was unimpressed. But after giving the Crave another shot when setting up an all Axiom bag recently, I just clicked with it, and am really glad I revisited the disc.

I'm acting like I'm "thinking about it," but who am I kidding, I'll probably snag one as soon as I can turn one up in a color scheme that doesn't make me nauseous.

(btw, nauseous: hardest word to spell ever?)

I'm acting like I'm "thinking about it," but who am I kidding, I'll probably snag one as soon as I can turn one up in a color scheme that doesn't make me nauseous.

(btw, nauseous: hardest word to spell ever?)

Some of the Plasma Craves are nice and pearly.

Crave is faster, more HSS and more LSS. They pair well together, but I wouldn't really compare their flights as similar.

Crave= straighter longer relay? Is that a fair comparison?

Crave is faster, more HSS and more LSS. They pair well together, but I wouldn't really compare their flights as similar.

What Zen said. They really aren't too similar, necessarily. What I think I was getting at in comparing them, is that I'm sort of trying out both for a similar role, which is working tight lines longer than I can do with mids, on the demanding wooded holes I face around Charlotte.

At this point, I can't even say that I wouldn't want both in the bag, since they scratch that itch in different ways, really.

Relay is an understable fairway driver that needs to be hyzer-flipped unless you want that sustained right turn.

Crave is very straight, even under full power, and it doesn't have much fade at all...not nearly as much as a Servo, for example. Good power, flat release, nose-down and the Crave will hold a very straight line for 90+ % of its flight. Some mention a slight turn or drift to the right, and that may be true, but there could be some wind involved there. It has really good HSS, IME.

Posting my numbers for crave;

Speed is about 7 plus. Quick out of the gates but loses some mid flight.

Glide is about three plus. Not a lot here because it is a flat dome.

Turn is about zero.

Fade is about two. Like the fade here cause it seems to hold a straight line so well than just a good bit of hook a the end.

More testing has proven the crave accurate. Reliable. Still I think it is shorter range fairway this fit nicely between longer fairways that have the glide factor.

there's an beat to **** proton crave locally i can snag on the cheapsies. considering auditioning to see if could boot the relay and just pair it with a resistor so i'm not hunting unobtainium gazelles in the near future in case MVP doesn't release a slightly overstable partner to the relay. my comet can do most of the relay stuff except true drives. most of my fairway driving work is done with hyzerflips or anhyzer release. i'm a line shaper.

how should i expect it to fly?

my relay is not as understable as others i've seen. compared PLH, blah blah blah. it will turn some, but won't hold a sustained turn throughout the flight without anhyzer. it always wants to fade.

Last edited:
My mostly beat 153 Crave is more HSS than my 173 mostly new N Relay. I do throw them somewhat interchangeably though. My Crave flies an absolute frozen rope, whereas the Relay shows some wiggle in the HSS on the same baby hyzer throw.

The Crave is much more versatile to me as a driver. I can get the Relay to hold a hyzer line, but more often it wants to hyzerflip. It's hard to make it do anything but go straight or turn right for me.

Same here. I bagged a Relay for a bit and only used it for turnovers, flip to flat straight shots and the occasional low ceiling approach.

Even my most seasoned Crave I throw on hyzers every single round. I love giving it a crisp throw with a steep hyzer angle and watching it flip up to a more shallow hyzer, glide out and hold that angle to the ground.

They don't really compare that well.

Anyways Craves pair beautifully with Resistors. My fairway line-up is probably my favorite part of my bag, because all three molds feel incredibly similar. The Resistor and Crave feel closer than Eagle X's and Eagle L's do, its awesome.

Craves could work as Gazelle replacements, but they're a bit faster, glide better in premium plastics, are available in better plastics (Assuming you aren't looking to cycle baseline Craves...), more comfortable rim shape and without a doubt fly further.

Last edited:
I've been so confused lately as to which fairways I should bag... I think I've settled on resistor/max weight crave/lightweight crave and then just have a volt in there for craps and giggles, cause I feel weird not having a volt. Oh and a motion for headwind duties. But one thing I was concerned about was when I received my lightweight (158) crave its PLH was the tiniest bit higher than my max weight... both neutron, both white rim (if it matters...) should the lightweight one fly slightly understable still? I was hoping it would fly a lot like a seasoned atom, turn a little bit and then have just enough fade to level out at the end. Inspire was too turn-happy for what I wanted. I throw craves out past 360, up to about 375 if I'm throwing smooth, will this lightweight one be like -1,1 like I hoped it would? For what it's worth my max weight flies -.5, 1.5 if I'm splitting hairs. Won't have a chance to throw the lighter one for a couple days.

I like the crave. It's a good do it all kind of driver.

But the volt is in the bag and the crave is not.

Slow putters=slow mids=slow fairways=slow control drivers. From there I don't even bother, might as well go with max d for the pd2. Because of its stability, it covers everything in between as well.

Last edited: