• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

I've been so confused lately as to which fairways I should bag... I think I've settled on resistor/max weight crave/lightweight crave and then just have a volt in there for craps and giggles, cause I feel weird not having a volt. Oh and a motion for headwind duties. But one thing I was concerned about was when I received my lightweight (158) crave its PLH was the tiniest bit higher than my max weight... both neutron, both white rim (if it matters...) should the lightweight one fly slightly understable still? I was hoping it would fly a lot like a seasoned atom, turn a little bit and then have just enough fade to level out at the end. Inspire was too turn-happy for what I wanted. I throw craves out past 360, up to about 375 if I'm throwing smooth, will this lightweight one be like -1,1 like I hoped it would? For what it's worth my max weight flies -.5, 1.5 if I'm splitting hairs. Won't have a chance to throw the lighter one for a couple days.

It might be just as stable as your max weight when fresh, but it should develop more turn. I have a 153 that started out pretty stable, but now it's got more turn than my 165/174 Craves do.

After using 2 Neutron Craves over the last 6 months or so, I'm gonna say it's a 6.5/3.5/-1.25/2 I think that's really accurate from my experience. Both were 172-175.

Honestly I don't love it. But it is a fine S shaping-but overall straight fairway disc. Doesn't love the wind and I don't think I can pipe it on a laser straight line like a TL or Teebird. But its a neat disc.

What I DO like is that it is SUPER FLAT and small rimmed which is perfect for tomahawks and thumbers and it has a driver like skip but the speed of almost a mid. unique for sure.

After using 2 Neutron Craves over the last 6 months or so, I'm gonna say it's a 6.5/3.5/-1.25/2 I think that's really accurate from my experience. Both were 172-175.

Honestly I don't love it. But it is a fine S shaping-but overall straight fairway disc. Doesn't love the wind and I don't think I can pipe it on a laser straight line like a TL or Teebird. But its a neat disc.

What I DO like is that it is SUPER FLAT and small rimmed which is perfect for tomahawks and thumbers and it has a driver like skip but the speed of almost a mid. unique for sure.

If it was a 6.25/3.5/-1.3/2.1 Then I may have been interested. Good thing I didn't spend my money! Thanks Tom.

Haha I thought it was funny. I get it. But if you want my honest and accurate opinion (well nobody asked, but too bad) I'm going to be specific. I think its too much to jump from 1,2,3 etc since a disc with a fade of 3 is Very overstable usually and a fade of 2 can actually be really straight with power. So I'll add the decimals in there. But by 1/4's otherwise, yeah it would be a bit much to digest.

nah I'm keepin' em. I didn't love it for my Straight power fairway. I like the crave for more line shaping, hyzerflips-to fade and turnovers I can trust to fade out. It's super nice for overhand/tommy/thumber shots and i like it for a 1 disc round. cool disc for sure. But not a TL or Rival type flight. faster lateral movement, actually have a driver-like fade-skip. which can be very useful once you get it. I still need to practice with this disc. ;)

Since I got my P crave I have just barely missed aceing hole 3 at our small local course about 5 times. A nice hard flick turns this lefty friendly hole into park city virtually every time.

For those who have a Crave in proton, neutron AND plasma...

Do you find the stability across the plastics go:
proton = most stable
neutron = less stable
plasma = least stable

Thank you in advance to those who have all three plastics available and the patience/generosity to respond.

I haven't noticed a difference between my neutron and proton.

Plasmas I've thrown (only 3) didn't have quite the same HSS.

If you want the broken in Teebird style flight, I'd go Proton or Neutron. If you want more of a line shaper with a pinch of high speed turn, try a Plasma.

If you're throwing under 300', probably won't see turn in any of them assuming 170g+

Plasma has more turn and more fade than either Neutron or Proton.
My 154g Plasma Crave is a great moderate flip to flat disc. The 174g Plasma had a mild turn but a harsh fade.....that harsh fade, and the fact it was gold, caused it to be lost in the high grass of Idle Wild.
The old firm proton Craves were more neutral flying than the Neutrons, but I haven't thrown the newer flexy Proton in it.

This thread is a little dusty considering how many people here throw the Crave...

Last night I picked up a N Crave with a neon yellow core and a red overmold. It was
stickered 173 and scaled 174 with the slightest of dome. It has some minor flash that I removed with a towel.

In my 20 yrs of dg I've thrown many discs with similar basic dimensions as the Crave, which might be one of the reasons it wasn't high on my try list initially. Even Mike C's praise didn't quite get me there because he's a machine. So now that I've spent time with one I'm pretty damn surprised/impressed with the capabilities of this little disc that can. For example I decided to square off on a slight uphill 300ish shot today. Instead of backing off I decided to try and control the range with height. So I pulled low across the chest dead flat with some gusto. The disc held it's height exactly as it turned slightly and slowly worked back. It passed by the pole about 8" off the ground at the same height I released it, cruised over the crown of the hill and glided 80' slightly downhill past the basket. This was one of the most wtf?!! shots I've ever thrown.

How can this disc be possible? MVP makes some nice molds, but this one just destroys the others in it's class. Granted I've not thrown many newer molds, nothing even comes close to the Crave for me except maybe a fresh CE-QJLS back in the day.

They kicked the JLS out of my bag. It's an awesome mold that definitely doesn't get enough love! The two I've been tossing the longest I just know where they'll end up every time and which angles to put those throws on.

Give it a good testing I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and see why Mike and others praise the Crave. One of those discs that are actually "sneaky long" no question.

Crave, the better TeeBird.
Honest, I don't understand anyone picking a TeeBird, or FD, over a Crave, unless they are being paid to do so.

Haha I do, despite its niche praise it looks on paper to be an awful lot like other discs that people likely already have in the bag. Definitely one of the gotta try overmolds but who sets out to try another fairway driver that's like a teebird?

Personally I dodged it for a while until I got beat up in the wind a couple times. The Switch has the same numbers but got blown around badly and unpredictably. Too much turn or too much fade, enter the Crave... just consistent and reliable and less affected by the wind.