• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Discs (Official Thread)

Pure speculation ahead...

As another poster pointed out, the baseline discs will come from a third division of MVP. Forget Innova and the Atlas for a second. MVP was tinkering with colored overmolds since the beginning. But, they wanted to hold true to the look, and style of their current lineup. Thus, Axiom was born. Axiom can feel free to mix and match all the color combos, while also offering new discs to complement the MVP lineup.

We've all wanted baseline plastic. Maybe those polymers cannot be bonded the same way that Proton/Neutron can. It's possible that the third division will offer baseline versions of MVP's original molds, but with different names, and no GYRO. That's the key. The signature line cannot deviate from its GYRO roots. But a new baseline division could. This would give us what we all want, without compromising the integrity of the original GYRO molds.

Imagine "Baseline's" version of the Volt, Ion, Anode, and Tangent. They could even use the same molds, but have no overmold. They would be "normal" versions of the discs we love, but still fly very similarly, but with increased glide (I imagine).

As has also been mentioned, other companies do this all the time. Think Banana Republic / Gap / Old Navy. MVP could be the flagship, Axiom the GYRO style, and "Baseline" the standard version. All under the same umbrella, all high quality in their own way.

I could be way off, and maybe baseline polymers will bond to an overmold, and we'll get our base Ions the way we always imagined. But, separate divisions of MVP also makes perfect sense. All I know is that I can't wait to find out.

Yeah, I'll concede to you on this one. That profile is not AT ALL lid-like. I got all frothy in my loins for nothing. I think it's a marketing deal...notice how they said "lid-like" in parenthesis. I think they're getting at it being slow and floaty. But if it's stable-overstable, I would think it would lend itself to not having a lid-like flight. How is it supposed to float that nice straight line and drop out of the sky if it's going to hook up at the end?

Dammit, tbird, now you have me not wanting one of these anymore

Remember the Piranha was an overstable lid. It's possible.

I'm happy to see MVP release a slower putter that's low profile. I'm guessing that means it's a new core, but I'm a little worried since I asked about it and didn't get a reply.

The Envy looks shallower than the Ion, from the pic in4d posted. Maybe the core IS different.

They started a whole new company just to offer colored rims? lol

This will spawn Trilogy vs. Duelogy disc golf gang wars all over the country. Hide yo daughters! Hide yo wife!

I prefer the term Duality. Then they even have a fight song from Slipknot.

Here is the video, complete with MVP fanboys charging into battle.

wonder why they tried to copy Innova. it seemed like MVP folks were really against the color combos. now they try to be like them? I am not sure i get it.

This is a quote from New013 on March 2, 2012:

I firmly believe that eventually MVP will have different colors in the overmold. They're a small company trying to expand their product line on top of working on the 800 other requests we've made like getting the weight down on their mids.

And Chad's response, just after New posted:

As for different colored overmolds, I do not see this happening anytime soon. The number one reason all boils down to the quality and consistency of our discs. By changing the color alone in the overmold, it will really begin to mess with the different processing temperatures and cooling times needed for each color. With this, it will really kill on our good name for keeping our discs performing to our standards. As cool as it may be, Glow is our only exception for having a 'different color'.

What some of you forget is that we were talking about MVP's colored overmolds two years ago. This is why Axiom happened. To give us what we wanted. What we still want. And it's why MVP, or one of its new divisions, is going to release baseline as well.

Before the trolls pounce on Chad's words from two years ago, they have come a long way in learning advanced techniques in injection molding. I have no doubt that the Axiom line will remain high quality, even with the color changes in the overmold.

Looks like they are copying Innova...... :thmbdown: I thought MVP did their own thing. Nothing special here. Time to move on. This is my first post in a MVP thread and I must say it will be a hit. :D

wonder why they tried to copy Innova. it seemed like MVP folks were really against the color combos. now they try to be like them? I am not sure i get it.

Look, I am not sure I like this move. I think their efforts could have been put to a more practical use. However they are trying to make money.

But the above quote is pretty funny.

So, they are trying to be like Innova, trying to be like MVP. So they are trying to be like themselves? :confused:

You're just trying to bait people. Pathetic.

I wonder if the Envy and Alias will be PDGA approved under MVP, or Axiom. ???

So what do you think, is Alias the answer to the Innova Atlas? Because I think we already have a more stable Tangent called Axis.

Personally, I love colors and being able to find discs in different color combos so I don't get why everyone's panties are in a twist because of it. If anything a colored rim will make your disc easier to find than a black one. I think it is kind of goofy that they chose to start a different brand for this, but I guess they have their reasons.

It'll be a colorful day out on the disc golf course!

Personally, I love colors and being able to find discs in different color combos

Exactly. I'm hoping to find a red rim, white Envy, so I can rock Red Wings colors. Plus the obligatory reverse stormtrooper as well. :thmbup:

Latest posts