• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

Apothecary

Banned
Gold level trusted reviewer
MVPs Axis: mmmmm cant wait to try one.

Lets hear your tales of the newest addition to the lineup of the most innovative new disc company in the bid!

I can't wait to get a hold of one...Of course we(hopefully I'll get one a little early :wink: ) are going to have to wait an untold amount of time for production and release. Hopefully not too long...
Based on what I talked with the guys about a month ago it has more plastic in the nose than the Vector (like a Buzzz vs. a Roc), probably a less concave bevel, and a small ionesque bead. I have a feeling this will be my go to disc for the rest of time...I like my broken in Vector, but even seasoned it is best thrown on hyzers and shots that don't turn. I'm hoping the Axis will be able to get a bit of a tight S curve like a Buzzz...Who knows though, it could be the most dead nuts straight disc ever made.

The new stamp?
ahmadinejad-kim-jong-il-bg.jpg

Kinda disappointed that this is only sort of a tertiary science name to break the theme they had going

Peot said:
Kinda disappointed that this is only sort of a tertiary science name to break the theme they had going
I think you'll see where the ever-expanding theme is headed with future releases. We've got some pretty dang cohesive ideas cooked up.

You could even call it an overall motif. :mrgreen:

What if it is shipped before PDGA approval?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXNJMP8ir4

Leopard said:
Peot said:
I think you'll see where the ever-expanding theme is headed with future releases. We've got some pretty dang cohesive ideas cooked up.

I'm pretty pumped for the inevitable release of the MVP Stochastic Diffusion

Leopard said:
Peot said:

ion.jpg

thats what i was hoping the vector would be. :\

i hope the axis doesnt suck as much as the vector does.

I don't think that the Vector sucks, but it just wasn't what we had hoped it would be. But honestly, I don't think it was intended to be. Hopefully the Axis is. I'll try one out no matter what. I love my Ions. I use a Vector as a utility or get out of trouble disc. A dead nuts straight mid would rock and kick the Buzzz out of my bag. Then I could also get into a mid that flies straight at first because of the gyro, then flies MORE understable as it slows down because of losing the gyro effect. If MVP can do this, they will dominate the non-driver part of my bag, with only maybe the Pain remaining in the bag.

ForeverBlue232 said:
I don't think that the Vector sucks, but it just wasn't what we had hoped it would be. But honestly, I don't think it was intended to be. Hopefully the Axis is. I'll try one out no matter what. I love my Ions. I use a Vector as a utility or get out of trouble disc. A dead nuts straight mid would rock and kick the Buzzz out of my bag. Then I could also get into a mid that flies straight at first because of the gyro, then flies MORE understable as it slows down because of losing the gyro effect. If MVP can do this, they will dominate the non-driver part of my bag, with only maybe the Pain remaining in the bag.

The Vector was not my dream of what MVP's mid could be after I fell in love with the Ion...but I've grown to love it nonetheless. My beat one is a very neat disc. I would give it's HSS a -1, but it's a much different -1 than say a typical Buzzz. The Vector turns super slow and gradually and almost always fades forward. The Buzzz has much more of an S flight comparatively. I have been executing some sick shots with my beat Vector...today I parked a 350' slight hyzer shot over water into a slight headwind. I crushed it high with about 45 degrees of hyzer and it went out straight slowly flattening a pushing on the hyzer...at it's furthest point of turn the disc was still flying with about 15 degrees of hyzer before slowly returning to hyzer and pulling toward the target. On shots under 300' it now just has a tiny gradual amount of flip so that the disc glides effortlessly on it's line. Lately I've been throwing the Vector/Fuse combo and they seem to compliment each other about perfectly in terms of speed and float with the Vector just dropping faster as it runs out of speed (big bead is like an anchor at low speeds).

I'm not sure if that flight you describe is going to be possible...mostly because the gyro effect doesn't just turn off at some point, but rather decays gradually with speed/spin loss. If the design of the disc keeps it stable at high speeds, it will do so at low speeds as well. I hope the wing design of the Axis works with the gyro rather than kind of fighting it like the Vector does when new. I suspect it is going to be a disc that pushes forward whether slight hyzer or slight anny, or a more Buzzzish Buzzz....The Buzzz is already a more gyroscopic Roc (extra plastic removed from the Wasp's bead and put on outside edge of the wing), so a more gyroscopic Buzzz can only be more, well, Buzzzish. It will be interesting to see how it works with a mini-bead...I suspect it will slow it's rate of turn (which being more gyroscopic will do on it's own as well). I can't wait to throw it...I'm dying for an email from MVP saying that the production run has begun and my test discs are on their way :wink: .

thread bump for a disc i MAY have to beat my meat to :D

the ion wasnt my true cup of tea, though i have only thrown 2 (they were twins)...sweet disc though definitely. LOVE the vector, it did something i never thought a disc would ever do ever - knocked my drone out of my bag. i know they are different beasts, but between a banshee, drone, vector, and rhyno/JOKERi, there just wasnt room for either the drone or the vector one of them HAD to go. i have been using the drone since 2005 and have not missed it once in the past dozen or so rounds.

as for the axis, i love my buzzzs fuses and cobras and CANNOT wait to huck 'um along side my vectors

the rep for a company is asking the masses if a disc that his company is making really exists.

that is not a good sign.

Apothecary said:
the rep for a company is asking the masses if a disc that his company is making really exists.

that is not a good sign.

Beat me to it. I really want this disc in my bag too.

I don't work for MVP, I'm just a tester 1000 miles away from the factory. Just as Fritz/ZJ are subject to the whims of Millennium and don't always know what and why, I don't know any more than you guys on this one. If I call and ask I might get an answer, but I probably wouldn't be able to share(so how much fun would that be?). I'm just trying to encourage some info for the masses(and myself) out of my friends at MVP. Inquiring minds want to know. :mrgreen:

This is no dream. Consistency takes time. We spend a great deal of effort into each and every model we produce. We avoid simply rushing to produce a disc without careful planning, testing, and perfecting prior to begin our large scale production at the manufacturing level. On top of the amount of energy put forth towards our debut, we just previously ran large scale production on our recent runs of Ions as already seen. This only added a small delay in the overall schedule for the Axis. Running on a large scale production is where most other disc manufacturers suffer. Running large scale means less variance from run to run, thus maintaining consistency and quality.

We have to keep many of the inner workings behind the scenes as we have a lot of proprietary information that we must keep secret. Above all, producing our GYRO™ molded discs is no easy task. Not only producing, but ensuring we maintain quality and consistency at the highest levels in injection molding possible. We take pride in our efforts to produce the highest in quality and performance.

An answer to your question: The Axis is currently getting its final touches and laser engravings. After it is finalized, we have to go through all the procedures and preparation needed before our large scale production. It is nearing. This is not to mention all of the other projects besides the Axis that are moving forward simultaneously.

I know, I can't wait for the Axis too. I just hope this brings some light onto the extreme efforts we are putting into our products and our sport.