• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Lie Pics

elevated plastic has the best one. Impailed??? You've got to be kidding me. I was thinking of a cow patty my disc slid into on a temp course, but that takes the cake. Adding insult to injury!

315503_2091800017767_1328254009_32081102_74733687_n.jpg

313388_2091795777661_1328254009_32081096_89824416_n.jpg

So close and yet so far. :(

Burde Ridge

Attachments

• 2011-10-30_15-43-52_461.jpg
    2011-10-30_15-43-52_461.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 2011-10-30_15-44-01_468.jpg
    2011-10-30_15-44-01_468.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 2011-10-30_16-33-41_712.jpg
    2011-10-30_16-33-41_712.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 212
With the disc in the drainpipe, can't you just take the lie above the disc on solid ground if it is not OB? As I understand it, your lie is on a vertical plane, allowing you to mark your lie above or below the disc. This would occasionally allow you to stand on top of a picnic bench, for example, if the disc were to land underneath it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

PDGA: 803.08 B. If a disc comes to rest below the playing surface, its lie shall be marked on the playing
surface directly above it. If the point directly above the disc is an out-of-bounds area, the
disc shall be declared out-of-bounds and marked an penalized in accordance with 803.09. If the playing surface directly above the disc is inside a solid obstacle, the lie shall be marked on the line of play immediately behind the solid obstacle.

With the disc in the drainpipe, can't you just take the lie above the disc on solid ground if it is not OB? As I understand it, your lie is on a vertical plane, allowing you to mark your lie above or below the disc. This would occasionally allow you to stand on top of a picnic bench, for example, if the disc were to land underneath it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

PDGA: 803.08 B. If a disc comes to rest below the playing surface, its lie shall be marked on the playing
surface directly above it. If the point directly above the disc is an out-of-bounds area, the
disc shall be declared out-of-bounds and marked an penalized in accordance with 803.09. If the playing surface directly above the disc is inside a solid obstacle, the lie shall be marked on the line of play immediately behind the solid obstacle.

Really? I had no idea this was a rule....I didn't think it was possible for a disc to come to rest BELOW the playing surface (until I did it somehow)

Chuck should chime in on this soon but inside the pipe is considered the playing surface therefore you'd have to take your stance in the pipe. Below the playing surface is meant for cracks, etc.

I'm interested as well; I don't understand how a crack is any more/less below the playing surface than a crawl space. I am not one to bend the rules for my own benefit, yet, many PDGA rules can be bent because of their lack of clarity. Even if the rule is 'meant' for cracks, that is not explained in the rule so therefore I can see this rule coming into play in this exact situation.

Seen the same thing happen at my home course..no idea how,lol. From over 300 feet away too.

Yeah mine was about 300 feet too and around a corner in the woods...I looked for that disc for like half an hour...walked past the drain like 5 times before I finally looked inside and there it was!

FYI

DISC ABOVE OR BELOW THE PLAYING SURFACE: 803.08
The "disc below playing surface" phrase has been moved from the Rules Q&A and added to this rule. This applies to a disc located down on a "non-playing surface" that players would not be able to play from such as a crack in the ground. The "disc below playing surface" section does not apply to a disc resting on or above a playing surface where another playing surface like a bridge might also pass above the disc. It's possible that moving vertically from the front edge of the disc closest to the target up to the level playing surface might be a point in space. If so, then mark the lie on the playing surface near the edge of the crack on the line of play no closer to the target.

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

^So if the player deemed the drainage pipe unplayable (which he can do at his discretion), can he use rule 803.08 to move the lie above the pipe in order to avoid unplayable lie penalties?

Latest posts