• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Banzai's Battle with Bracing

also, in that same video he talks about pre-loading 60% of his weight into the front leg, and not consciously moving off of it (but rather the weight shift to the rear leg in the back swing being a natural result of the backswing... so arms lead the backswing?).
Should this same feeling apply in a stand still DG throw? Aka weight preloaded on front leg, and pressure only shifting into rear leg as it becomes necessary to counteract the backswing and keep the "bottom of the swing" stationary throughout?
It may feel that way, but feel ain't always real. Whatever leg/foot your center of gravity is closer to is the leg your swing or backswing should be centered on.

In One Leg Drill - obviously the backswing and forward swing will be centered on the front leg.

In a Standstill/1 step - typically you start the backswing by shifting your weight/CoG to the rear foot and then rotate centered around the rear leg. Then you shift your weight/CoG forward in the transition to the forward swing and then rotate centered around the front leg. Think of your feet as moving the fulcrum of a pendulum to swing from - that shift to the front leg effectively lengthens the backswing by moving the post forward and increases the tension and potential energy to the disc.

Hi everyone. I'm back to working on my DG form, particular backhand. I've made some progress over the years (I think), but I'd really love to get my fundamentals right.

Currently throwing mids (Roc3/Buzzz/Fuse) 280-300' on average, but can get them out to 330' when things feel right. Control Drivers (PD, Roadrunner, etc) go 350-370'. I've nearly touched 400' with a Destroyer or Tern on max distance lines. I'd love to hit those higher numbers consistently, and I know it's mainly getting my hips powering the throw.

I feel like I've developed a better feel for the weight shift and bracing, but I'm not completely sure. What's going right and what's going wrong?

https://youtu.be/0AIcF9oHVMU

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Looks like your weight is balanced back/behind your left foot in the x-step. As a result, you pick up your right leg instead of having it swing under you.

You need to lean forward before taking the first step. Try walking sideways with an x-step (karaoke style) and note how your right hip feels versus what you are doing in your throw.

^^^

attachment.php

Attachments

• feldy banzai.jpg
    feldy banzai.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys. Now that you point it out, it seems obvious! I'll work on the drills and see if I can improve.

(BTW, what video is that GIF from? With the guy holding the orange and white discs?)

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys. Now that you point it out, it seems obvious! I'll work on the drills and see if I can improve.

(BTW, what video is that GIF from? With the guy holding the orange and white discs?)

Just to say: I've been working on this. Now that momentum is carrying forward down the teepad, my body naturally wants the x-step to be longer to get in front of my CoG. I end up turning it too far backwards and planting a bit horse-stanced.

I think I've got a few better. I had a pure go 340' the other day. I wish I knew what happened!

I'll post video once I've drilled my footwork some more.

Trying to get more forward on x-step. This led to working on footwork because my plant step got too long. Is this any better? (Kinda looks the same to me if I'm honest)

Last edited:
I know exactly where you're at. On video your form looks pretty good. You have good timing, smooth, power pocket, but 'it' still hasn't clicked. If you want another video to watch, Tristian Tanner has two that are very, very good. But I'll sum up the sensations you might be missing.
1) don't feel like you are pulling the disc from the back of your swing, feel like you are only keeping your elbow forward of your lead shoulder. Yes. Keep your elbow ahead of that lead shoulder.
2) when your lead heel hits the ground, feel like the disc stretches your arm out for a split second before it moves forward. Lag. Your hips have to start shifting first (again, don't pull)
3) make the power pocket feel like it's under your lead armpit instead of feel like it's left pec
4) Feel like your elbow is flying forward to dislocate your shoulder, while your pinky knuckle accelerates toward the target.
5) don't add any power AT ALL with your arm until the disc is closer to the target than your sternum. But at that point add LOTS of power. No power coming into your right armpit, loads of power coming out of the armpit.
6) there is also a sensation that your rotation hesitates when the disc starts accelerating out

You may have to read these several times because they don't read like most of the drills. These are feelings that I have when discs are flying correctly. Caveat: I can't throw super far, but I'm 46 and not quite 1y into playing.

I know exactly where you're at. On video your form looks pretty good. You have good timing, smooth, power pocket, but 'it' still hasn't clicked. If you want another video to watch, Tristian Tanner has two that are very, very good. But I'll sum up the sensations you might be missing.
1) don't feel like you are pulling the disc from the back of your swing, feel like you are only keeping your elbow forward of your lead shoulder. Yes. Keep your elbow ahead of that lead shoulder.
2) when your lead heel hits the ground, feel like the disc stretches your arm out for a split second before it moves forward. Lag. Your hips have to start shifting first (again, don't pull)
3) make the power pocket feel like it's under your lead armpit instead of feel like it's left pec
4) Feel like your elbow is flying forward to dislocate your shoulder, while your pinky knuckle accelerates toward the target.
5) don't add any power AT ALL with your arm until the disc is closer to the target than your sternum. But at that point add LOTS of power. No power coming into your right armpit, loads of power coming out of the armpit.
6) there is also a sensation that your rotation hesitates when the disc starts accelerating out

You may have to read these several times because they don't read like most of the drills. These are feelings that I have when discs are flying correctly. Caveat: I can't throw super far, but I'm 46 and not quite 1y into playing.

Thanks for this. I've been looking for more info on what it 'feels like' to throw 425+. Are the Tanner videos the 'feels' ones?

Thanks for this. I've been looking for more info on what it 'feels like' to throw 425+. Are the Tanner videos the 'feels' ones?
Yes, this one is feels 2:

And this one has lots of great info as well:

These two videos helped ME to fill in gaps from all SW22, HUB drills and tips. I mentioned the TT vids because those are not so recommended since there are so many excellent vids in this forum.

It does look better, but need to keep exaggerating more. It looks like you retract your right leg in the stride because you would kick the ground if you didn't as you are off balance on left foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogonOY1DoHU#t=40m
"Tiny changes.... for most of you, you have to exaggerate things so far to get that machine to say the numbers it's supposed to that you would probably never stay with it. When I finally get someone to do what's right, they say, that can't be right. My answer to them is that well, you weren't a very good player to begin with, so I wouldn't trust what you felt anyway."

A3DoCCSl.png

Last edited: