• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast, Old mold vs. new mold

Confirm, the Pre Barry, Pro-Line, 2003 1X Barry's are all Old Mold Beast. Also, as you said the Pearly 2X Barry's are Old Mold. And, how he described the wings is correct.

I done a comparison of every mold in the speed 10 range.
Out of these, these are the ones that shared the same wing as the Old Mold Beast. The Monster, Starfire, and of course the Old Mold Beast. The only difference was the top on the Monster was quite a bit different. And, the top on the Starfire was slightly different.

Now, one of the main reasons the Old Mold Beast isn't good is that it's power to performance ratio is kind of bad. You have to throw them much harder to make them go as far, and perform correctly. I think the mold change was a bit drastic, but could have been less dramatic and not made the disc so flippy. But, the Old Mold Beast just aren't top performers. As I think Garu said, Starfire is almost a direct replacement for an Old Mold Beast, it's just a tad bit more stable. Old mold Beast will flip some, but is much harder to get it to flip than it should be. This is why I stopped throwing them.

I had 8-10, now I have five or six I think. I have a Pearly X-out, pearly Pre Barry, Pearly Pro-line, Two 2003 1X Barry's, and I know I have at least one Pearly 2X Barry left. Heh. I had 2 or 3 Pre Barry's, and a few more Pearly 2X's. They're so pretty, but I just don't throw them anymore. I have an Ace with one of my 2003's, it's white with an awesome 6 color factory Rainbow dye.

The DX OM Beasts were the best Inoova driver while it was available and I used it alongside an Orc

To me they were like a really long Teebird with great HSS and not too much LSS so it flew pretty straight even in a headwind.

This is just DX since I never liked the Proline.

That x out is mine lithicon! And you gotta see the 3 brand new tye dye 1x I got coming

It's mine till I remember to give it to you, ho! I'm liking your Beast collection too. Makes me slightly envious. You have some sexy Beasts! Pun intended.

I am a bit curious. I have a semi pearly 2x beast thats orange but it has the wing of a new mold. Whats the deal?

That's probably weighting agent used in some plastics. Sometimes the'll add it to certain runs of plastic and because of unknown reasons it's more apparent or just shows up in certain disc. Some disc will come out milky, or pearly looking. Of course the weighting agent is probably some pearly looking powder, or when it comes out milky is just because the weighting powder didn't dissolve fully and just shows up more. I'm not really sure on most of that, just kind of what I can gather on it.

There are still some pearly disc in current production runs of champion and stuff, and I've seen lots of the milky looking disc too. The pearlies are much harder to find. They're pretty damn durable plastic though, not sure why.

I want to know if anyone out there knows the difference between the old Innova Beast mold and the new mold.

Any info is welcome, but trying to figure out why the mold would be changed, and what are the flight characteristics of each?
(I think this one might be a good one for Three Putt)

Not terribly off the subject...but the Monster has two different designs....one like a max(flat), which is less stable....and the other like a firebird (concave)

it matches the changes (diagrams) that others have posted....

Not terribly off the subject...but the Monster has two different designs....one like a max(flat), which is less stable....and the other like a firebird (concave)

it matches the changes (diagrams) that others have posted....

Yes, that is actually right!

Anyway the OM DX Beast was a bad Mofo along with the early Proline Monsters (I used pink) and the early Starfires. All three of those discs were staples in the bag and the only comp they had was the Crush and then the Flash.

I've got an old-mold that has my first three aces on it. Had to retire it. I wish I could throw it, but I'm not going to risk losing it. That thing has been thrown into a loch in Scotland, on the isle of my ancestors. There's just too much sentimental value in that disc now.

I found and old champ beast back in the day. don't have it anymore (pitched it in a pond).

Super floppy, flat top, deep blue champion plastic. Had flecks of glitter in it.

Yea I have roughly 36 or so beast now.16 old molds and 20 new. All but one new mold sit at home waiting for there chance of glory.but I carry 5-8 old mold beast.they fly way different and therer my go to disc for most shots. If I wanna dumb down to tighter lines I throw a teebird. But beasts are my fav. And definitely old mold is where its at!!!

Old mold beasts never made it into my bag. Don't think I had the arm for them. Valkyrie was the disc from that time that became my go to disc. I also find it strange that everyone seems to find candy plastic to be "old mold" stuff. I still think of anything candy/pro/star etc...as "new plastic." :) I do have to admit that the Valkyrie's I talked about above were Candy. I lost them all; though, at one time, I had 5 or more; so, I'm not sure; but I think they were CE as well. Anyone got any of these said Valkyries around? Green is the color I loved...

I've read on that other site that current champ runs (after 2010) are more stable once again and can handle mild headwinds. I threw a stable one the other day and thought seasoned orc, a bit more turn and a touch less fade than a fresh orc. I've also thrown the hyzer flip turnover a lot without fade runs at 375' power and thought, too difficult for me unless its a sky anny. If there's a stack on the shelf, compare the PLH as the difference might be obvious. The pro beast is a straight flier and stable control drivers without a lot of fade out of the box aren't all bad.

I have to disagree with those who said the old mold beast is like an orc. I've thrown both star and champ orcs, and they are much faster and more overstable than an old mold beast.
Old mold beast also has more turn.

I have to disagree with those who said the old mold beast is like an orc. I've thrown both star and champ orcs, and they are much faster and more overstable than an old mold beast.
Old mold beast also has more turn.

Its probably not easy to find the oldest mold beast that came out in 2002 as it is to find the 2x Barry version that Three Putt describes (almost four years ago in this thread) as being reworked to be less stable after the Orc was released in 2004. Now that Innova has once again tweaked the Beast in the last few years its blurs the line as to which is the "old mold." I was referring to the beast one would likely find on the shelves today as compared to an Orc. I would agree that the old mold 2x Barry releases after the change from whatever the Beast started off are nothing like the Orc produced today although I wouldn't say they are much faster. Sorry I can't compare current production high PLH Beast runs of today to the oldest molded Beasts of 2002.