• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best course in your State

ME-Enman Field, the beast
MA- borderland at the moment, but i guess i should head over to maple hill.
played pyrimids and prefered borderland, i guess i figured pyrimids
and maple hill would be similar.

deaddisc said:
This of course is assuming that Warwick isnt part of NEFA. Never been there but the reviews are stellar and I cant wait to check it out THIS WEEKEND!

You will not be disappointed...

CT-Heroes with Wickham in a not so distant second
I didn't list heroes as number one because I got attacked by a pricker bush there yesterday and lost the fight. The new tee pads are a great addition.

oklahoma - Blackhawk. there is one going up in pahuska that is going to give it a run for its money.

Missouri- waterworks.

Will Aubrey said:
Kentucky - Yellow Creek Park. Kereiakes is great and I love Iroquois. But Yellow Creek gives you everything those courses offer and adds water shots.

Tennessee - Sanders Ferry Park. This is a no brainer slam dunk. Great shot variety, water, beautiful scenery. You've got to love it.

Have you played Cedar Hill? If not, you should. In my opinion it, sharp springs, 7 oaks, and m-boro (if they got rid of the concrete circles) are better courses. Sanders Ferry does have nice scenery.

It's hard for me to decide my favorite course in PA.

Among the contenders:
- Little Lehigh in Allentown
- Codorus in Hanover
- Prompton in Honesdale
- Knob Hill in Warrendale

(Note: Lake Nockamixon was amazing at the 05 Pro Worlds but I don't currently have it as one of the best since some of the holes are unplayable due to nesting birds and others currently need some course maintainence)

Bigs,

Unfortunately some of the better holes were not played at the tourney (Codorus) you attended on the 12th. And every tourney they seem to have a tweaked layout intended to make the course harder but as a result it loses some hole integrity. I also understand your viewpoint about some of the holes being gimicky. I've debated with Jay about a few holes and suggested removal of a couple trees here and there to make for more defined fairways but he is super opinionated and typically doesn't budge regardless of how many people utter similar sentiments.

Ironically I feel the same way about Tyler. I think the course is beautiful and has a lot to offer but I think the fairway integrity breaks down when the course is extended into the C-pins. The A pins while very easy make for a fantastic beginners course or a one disc or lid course. The B pins are significantly harder but still maintain a defined fairway. But when moved to the C locations I think many holes lose their luster. But I realize a big part of it is local knowledge and familiarity. As with some of the x-holes at Codorus and at Akron in the longer versions there are alleys not visible from the tee and only by being familiar with the holes does one know how to attack the holes.

I'm pretty fond of Seatac in Washington, but I'll let you know if Four Mound is better after I play it in the upcoming tourney here in Spokane. Seatac is a nice, difficult course with a variety of shots, and one freaking impossible hole (around #15 or 16, can't remember).

The Wreckreator course in Farragut State Park in Idaho is a great course, too, and had the benefit of being right alongside another nice 18 holes.

Tennessee- Warriors Path State Park- Kingsport TN
North Carolina- The old Richmond Hill- Asheville
Georgia- Redan Park - Atlanta
Alabama- Redstone Arsenal- Birmingham

I have played Cedar Hill and Seven Oaks. I might have liked Cedar Hill better if it hadn't been 100 degrees out LOL. The hiking it requires is pretty severe. I talked to one guy who said he had never finished a round there.

I thought Seven Oaks was boring and claustrophobic. If I were going to play a wooded course in Tennessee I would play Muse Park in Jackson.

Just my opinion.

Parks said:
I'm pretty fond of Seatac in Washington, but I'll let you know if Four Mound is better after I play it in the upcoming tourney here in Spokane. Seatac is a nice, difficult course with a variety of shots, and one freaking impossible hole (around #15 or 16, can't remember).

Hehe...that could be #14, 15, 16, 17, or 18. :D Probably 14 or 16 you're thinking of though. 14 is long, probably close to 500', with all sorts of stuff in your way, where even the best layup drive leaves you with a difficult window at best. And 16 is the longest hole on the course (I forget the measurement), just dead nuts straight ahead with a narrow fairway and plenty of trouble on either side. That course crushes me every time, but I love it.

I'm planning on making my way up to the tourney in Spokane too, looking forward to it. I keep hearing about this hole called Cape Fear in Four Mounds...judging from what I've heard, it sounds aptly named. What division are you going to be playing in?

Will Aubrey said:
Kentucky - Yellow Creek Park. Kereiakes is great and I love Iroquois. But Yellow Creek gives you everything those courses offer and adds water shots.

Tennessee - Sanders Ferry Park. This is a no brainer slam dunk. Great shot variety, water, beautiful scenery. You've got to love it.

Will, I luv Sanders Ferry too.Great Open front nine with some really awesome holes on back nine. But Id have to give the edge to Cedar Hill Park. Just a really championship calibur DG Course. One of the best in South East.

I live in so cal
So Cal: La Mirada Regional park (27 holes with a monster quad mandy 1024' par 5 hole Water hazard Hilly)
San Diego Morley Field (19 hole course, Heavy technical)
Long Beach El dorado park (low ceiling 18 hole course)
Huntington Beach Course (3 parts pretty technical)
Sylmar (good course long anhyzer routes)

North Cal: De levega (Top ranked, 27 holes Dangerous wooded hills, cliffs what more could you ask for?
Fresno course (dusty long and open 18 holes)

ferretdance03 said:
uNicedmeMan said:
Maryland-Seneca with rockburn and ptapsco a close tie for seccond
Seneca just swooped first with its makeover from 18-27 holes.
PA-Codorus State Park
VA- The grange, loriella is tits too

I prefer Rockburn over Seneca or Patapsco. Although I haven't played the new Seneca layout, but I haven't heard anything but praise and I plan on making the trip.

Codorus is way underrated in PA, I think because of the lack of large tournaments it lacks exposure. Definitely a close second, or even a tie, for me is Nockamixon.

And you can't beat the Grange. I think every golfer dreams of having Mike's backyard.

Dude Codorus gets the thumbs down on Location. The Course is nice and the Park is very Big and Nice very Beautiful. But since there isn't any major road way or interstate it gets the thumbs down big.I rather drive the other way for another half hour and play Seneca Creek.

MA - havent played Maple Hill yet...my noodle arm is still feeble and young for that course...or so ive been led to believe...maybe ill head out there this weekend....anyway,

Borderland and Buffumville with an honorable mention to Barre

CT - Wickham Park and West Thompson (gotta love those dams)

discrat said:
Will Aubrey said:

Will, I luv Sanders Ferry too.Great Open front nine with some really awesome holes on back nine. But Id have to give the edge to Cedar Hill Park. Just a really championship calibur DG Course. One of the best in South East.

I'm gonna say the same. Sanders Ferry is ok, but for me the front nine was too many holes that could be played pretty much the exact same. Cedar Hill to me is better than sanders ferry in every way, unless you really like wide open, easy fairways. Cedar Hill is a much better challenge, and from what I can tell takes a lot more skill to play well.

Cedar Hill is harder than Sanders Ferry but that doesn't make it better. Cedar Hill requires some severe hiking and it really isn't pretty at all. One guy told me he had never been able to finish the course because it was so tiring.

Sanders Ferry looks more like a ball-golf course. It's on much better land and it has a cool hole over an arm of the lake. It also has some nice downhill vistas.

The course at Central Park in Murray is significantly tougher than Kereiakes. But given my choice I'd pick Kereiakes any day of the week. Tougher doesn't equal better for me.

Will Aubrey said:
Cedar Hill is harder than Sanders Ferry but that doesn't make it better. Cedar Hill requires some severe hiking and it really isn't pretty at all. One guy told me he had never been able to finish the course because it was so tiring.

Sanders Ferry looks more like a ball-golf course. It's on much better land and it has a cool hole over an arm of the lake. It also has some nice downhill vistas.

The course at Central Park in Murray is significantly tougher than Kereiakes. But given my choice I'd pick Kereiakes any day of the week. Tougher doesn't equal better for me.

I don't know who you talked to about cedar hill, but i regularly go out and play 36 holes there no problem. If that guy can't finish the course he's got more problems than the difficulty of the course.

Coda Hatfield shot 2 45s in the griffen park open. oh yeah, they were 1090 rated rounds. and in the final 9 hit an ace on a 415 FT hole that has a guarded basket.

lmf1030 said:
Dude Codorus gets the thumbs down on Location. The Course is nice and the Park is very Big and Nice very Beautiful. But since there isn't any major road way or interstate it gets the thumbs down big.I rather drive the other way for another half hour and play Seneca Creek.

How can the location be a knock against how good a course is?

The two courses at Paw Paw WV are about as far off the beaten path as one can get and yet people drive 6, 7 even 10 hours to play there at the WVO and many regard it as their favorite tournament.

I can understand you may not want to invest the time to come play at Codorus if it is out of the way in comparison to other courses but I can't see how you give it thumbs down as a course solely because it's not right of I-95 like Seneca, Patapsco, Druid and Rockburn. Besides those courses are in MD not PA.