• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Driver for 1-2 o'clock winds

Danforth

Eagle Member
I was out playing my home course the other day and we had some unusuall winds, winds coming from a direction that I wasn't used to and that changed the whole way i played the course. I suddenly found myself playing a lot of 1-2 o'clock headwinds. I didn't have my full bag with me but I was thinking that a heavy understable driver would be best for this shot. All I had with me was a 150 Champ Leo and a 170 Star T-boid. I threw the T-boid with slight anny, but it dove into the ground.

I'm really sensing a hole in my bag here, Should I add a 175 Champ Sidewinder?

What line are you looking to achieve in these winds?
In a fairly open hole I would usually throw a Z Pred or Z Force low and further right of the target. For max D I may throw higher and further right. You are going to lose all predictability into the wind like that (worse the closer to 1 o clock you get) and if you throw something that flips into even that much wind it will ogger and fall off right the second the wind hits the top of the flight plate.

Danforth said:
I was out playing my home course the other day and we had some unusuall winds, winds coming from a direction that I wasn't used to and that changed the whole way i played the course. I suddenly found myself playing a lot of 1-2 o'clock headwinds. I didn't have my full bag with me but I was thinking that a heavy understable driver would be best for this shot. All I had with me was a 150 Champ Leo and a 170 Star T-boid. I threw the T-boid with slight anny, but it dove into the ground.

Headwinds pull your discs to the right, so you should be looking for stable drivers, not understable drivers.

I've always found the 1-2 o'clock wind hardest wind to play. RHBH i usually go overstable and throw more into it (further right). Trying to flip something stable or understable into it is more challenging but sometimes required. Having a FH and/or thumber in this situation can open up a lot more possibilities.

Assuming RHBH...If you turnover an understable disc, that kind of wind will make it flip even more as it turns directly into the wind during flight. On the other hand, if you throw a hyzer with a stable or overstable disc, and show the bottom of the disc to the wind, it will lift, stall, and push left, probably leaving you very short.

For RHBH/LHFH...best solution is to flip to flat. You'll need a driver with somewhat more HSS than you would usually use for this shot. E.g., if you drive a Beast, then change to an Orc but use the same throw. Alternatively, you can go to something over-stable, and flip it over with OAT, slightly past flat. The disc will then give you a lot of forward penetration.

For LHBH/RHFH...Hyzer flip something overstable. As the disc tries to fade out, it will encounter more direct headwind and will fade more slowly, so make sure you have space to work a longer right hook at the end of the flight.

For my power (350'-ish Teebird D), I would probably use a more stable Cyclone or Wraith, or if I go for the OAT-flip maybe a newish stabler Orc. For approach I'd use a stable Pro D Challenger or an Aviar-X (the latter if the wind is very strong).

300-350' of RHBH distance a Star Wraith works real nice as an overstable/headwind driver.

Try the TBird dead flat just a bit more right poa.

The progression of seasoned PPD freak SPD 1st run SPD Blitz does all I ever need in that range assuming generally straight with a bit of fairway width to play out. Just disc up as the wind dials up.....

JHern said:
Assuming RHBH...If you turnover an understable disc, that kind of wind will make it flip even more as it turns directly into the wind during flight. On the other hand, if you throw a hyzer with a stable or overstable disc, and show the bottom of the disc to the wind, it will lift, stall, and push left, probably leaving you very short.

For RHBH/LHFH...best solution is to flip to flat. You'll need a driver with somewhat more HSS than you would usually use for this shot. E.g., if you drive a Beast, then change to an Orc but use the same throw. Alternatively, you can go to something over-stable, and flip it over with OAT, slightly past flat. The disc will then give you a lot of forward penetration.

This sparked a thought. One of my CFR SL's is a fairly beefy 175. If I throw that with hyzer, it should flip to flat, maybe turn slightly, then have a slight fade at the end. Most of my shots were tight tunnel shots that either required straight as a lazer, or an "S" curve around trees.

Latest posts