• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best way to break in a disc?

Stover

Par Member
So I have recenetly realized that my bag has not been changing at all the last 3 months because even if I want to put a different disc in, I most likely want a stable copy and a beat in or flippy copy. The perfect example of this is I have a new pro leapord. However I never throw it because I want it to be a hyzer flip disc, and its not beat in at all.

So what tricks if any do you guys use to break in a new disc?

The ways I have considered is 1) Big hyzer spikes in a field for as long as I can. 2) Leave it outside in my basket for a while before using. 3) Just blade it straight into the ground over and over. 4) Throw it straight into a fence or something over and over.

Some may call me crazy but.........throw it a lot?

Tuning would also work

I usually rub off as much flashing as I can on a wooden bench. For me that usually gets them started enough that I can use them for what I want them for. In my experience, intentionally beating the crap out of a disc can backfire pretty easily and leave you with something that never flies right. There is a ton of results if you search for "break in a disc". ;-)

I throw the disc into a tree trunk. If it's a pro type plastic I don't throw it nearly as hard into the tree as Champ or Star. Throw it into the tree a few times and then throw it and see where it's at. Then throw it more as needed. Another thing that works well is putting the disc in the dryer with a towel. No or low heat for 15 - 20 mins helps. It does put a ring around the disc sometimes and it's loud. It's better if the wife/girlfriend is not at home. :mrgreen:

The best way I have found to break in higher end plastic is to go to a baseball diamond that has a dirt infield and throw spike hyzers on the infield for about 30 minutes. And if it is an overstable distance disc that I want to take a little off of, I will also throw some skip shots in an empty parking lot. I've been able to take a Starlite Boss and turn it into a long turnover driver by doing this method. Although, the Z/Champ/Z'esp/Champ'ish type plastic does take a little longer than the Star/ESP. I would only recommend the infield drill for non-baseline plastic. I tried it with a roc once and all it did was make the disc look like crap, but it retained it's stability for the most part.

Buy more understable discs to begin with ?

Even though I gotta say that this does not realy work if you can not even flip a new Leopard...

advice from experience: Do not try to beat a kc roc in by throwing it at a tree from close range several times. It turns into a worthless squirrelly peice of poo.

One disc rounds, lot's of field practice, rollers and thumbers... There are plenty of ways. But don't mix baseline plastic and trees/walls, it's much more likely to totally demolish a disc by accident that way. Premium can usually be seasoned like that though.

Oh, and deflash the sucka.

Putting discs in a sack or w/ towel in the dryer for 15-20 minutes. This is an easy way to gently season a disc from all angles. I usually do putters and midranges with this method as I don't want to risk denting/deforming them.

With Drivers usually deflashing and a very light sanding can make a world of difference.

Trey133 said:
Putting discs in a sack or w/ towel in the dryer for 15-20 minutes. This is an easy way to gently season a disc from all angles. I usually do putters and midranges with this method as I don't want to risk denting/deforming them.

With Drivers usually deflashing and a very light sanding can make a world of difference.
I do the same thing. I put the drying on no or low heat. This can put a ring around the edge of the disc so experiment with this. I have only used a towel. I like the bag idea. It is pretty loud too.

Steady 26542 said:
Trey133 said:

I do the same thing. I put the drying on no or low heat. This can put a ring around the edge of the disc so experiment with this. I have only used a towel. I like the bag idea. It is pretty loud too.

That's what laundromats were made for...