• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BH to FH disc trajectory

trauma11

I played a lot when I was in High School, and I've picked it up again since getting out of college. In HS, we just played, bought discs with little regard for anything but price and color. Now that the American post secondary education system has provided me with a higher way of thinking (joke), I've become more in tune with the strategy of the game and comparing discs.

It seems logical to me that when taking an identical disc and tossing it both RHBH and RHFH, that on the FH toss the trajectory would be opposite, would it not? Though when I read into disc comparisons, I get the feeling, that isn't the case.

Thanks!

You are correct. Discs tend to "break" or fade in the opposite direction of their spin at the end of their flight. As a right handed player, a backhand throw spins clockwise so the disc fades left at the end. A forehand spins counter-clockwise, so a disc would fade right. Keep in mind that fade is in relation to the direction of the disc at the end of it's flight. If you turn a disc over and it's now flying to the right, the left fade would actually make the disc finish forward in relation to you.

While that seems intuitive, there are some intricacies that make that line of thinking wrong. First, the release angles are different. A slight hyzer to flat release is much more natural for backhand while a slight anhyzer release is natural for forehand. While you can alter the angle to mirror the opposite side, it's going to be less natural which affects power.

Secondly, the backhand release tends to put more spin on the disc. The rate of spin has a huge impact on how the disc flies.

A simplistic answer might be that the direction they turn or fade is generally the opposite, but the degree to which they do is different.

no. The amount of wrist action used in each throw changes how the disc will fly for you.
a noodle arm backhanded person may find the wraith to be a meathook when throwing RHBH, but they may be able to turn it over slightly when flicking it.

it is the only other change I could think of that has not already been mentioned.

no. The amount of wrist action used in each throw changes how the disc will fly for you.
a noodle arm backhanded person may find the wraith to be a meathook when throwing RHBH, but they may be able to turn it over slightly when flicking it.

it is the only other change I could think of that has not already been mentioned.

I think it varies person to person (I snap a lot harder backhand than I do forehand, but I also know people that have insane forehand snap compared to their backhand). The main reason discs turn for most people when flicking, however, is because they torque the discs more when throwing forehand. It's very hard to throw forehand and not put torque on a disc.

I think it varies person to person (I snap a lot harder backhand than I do forehand, but I also know people that have insane forehand snap compared to their backhand). The main reason discs turn for most people when flicking, however, is because they torque the discs more when throwing forehand. It's very hard to throw forehand and not put torque on a disc.

Pretty much this. I used to think theway you do too Rube, mostly due to bad info and not really thinking about it.

But then i realized this, if indeed FH throws had more snap than bh (lets assume for arguments sake that both players executing these throws are solid players whos mechanics dont need to be examined) then why are the majority of players throwing sidearm shots with a flat/anny release? If indeed the snap was so great would you generally not require more of a hyzer release? So as not to turn it over?

Most release flat or anny because of lack of spin put on the disc and on a hyzer release it would just fade the entirety of its flight.

*disclaimer
I do understand less people are fh dominant than bh, making the amount of players able to reach big distance smaller in comparison to bh. I would still argue that even the best fh players in the world are well short of anything close to world record D, or perhaps a better comparison would be to whatever the average winning D is inthe bigger distance comps.

Also torque and snap are very different, and im not convinced fh throws are capable of adding anywhere near a comparible amount of any kind of torque you could take advantage of in a disc golf throw, max d wise, as a bh throw could.

Pretty much this. I used to think theway you do too Rube, mostly due to bad info and not really thinking about it.

But then i realized this, if indeed FH throws had more snap than bh (lets assume for arguments sake that both players executing these throws are solid players whos mechanics dont need to be examined) then why are the majority of players throwing sidearm shots with a flat/anny release? If indeed the snap was so great would you generally not require more of a hyzer release? So as not to turn it over?

Most release flat or anny because of lack of spin put on the disc and on a hyzer release it would just fade the entirety of its flight.

*disclaimer
I do understand less people are fh dominant than bh, making the amount of players able to reach big distance smaller in comparison to bh. I would still argue that even the best fh players in the world are well short of anything close to world record D, or perhaps a better comparison would be to whatever the average winning D is inthe bigger distance comps.

Also torque and snap are very different, and im not convinced fh throws are capable of adding anywhere near a comparible amount of any kind of torque you could take advantage of in a disc golf throw, max d wise, as a bh throw could.

What I am saying is most people, espcecially those with only one post, have not matched the snap, torque, and release angles with RHBH and RHFH. One or the other will demonstrate some sort of form flaw that will create completely different lines.

Latest posts