• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Distance Discs

rehder said:
inducing OAT on purpose

I've never heard of this and I don't understand how it would possibly help a disc go further. OAT wastes energy that could be helping the disc spin for longer and fly farther. The lighter discs used for distance are particularly sensitive to OAT and it kills their spin and makes them squirrely.

discspeed said:
rehder said:
inducing OAT on purpose

I've never heard of this and I don't understand how it would possibly help a disc go further.

Just came up on the Disc Physics thread:

Blake_T said:
not all OAT removes velocity. anytime someone is throwing a distance line hyzer flip s-curve they are putting OAT on it without decreasing their launch velocity...

chiggins said:
discspeed said:
rehder said:
inducing OAT on purpose

I've never heard of this and I don't understand how it would possibly help a disc go further.

Just came up on the Disc Physics thread:

Blake_T said:
not all OAT removes velocity. anytime someone is throwing a distance line hyzer flip s-curve they are putting OAT on it without decreasing their launch velocity...

I could see how it wouldn't necessarily decrease velocity, but what about spin? I'm going to have to go check out that physics thread because I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that.

It's because OAT is key for getting a disc to turn over hard enough when it's going that high. For distance lines you're throwing VERY high, 50-70' or so. So for calmer conditions, you take something a little bit flippy, blast it up there with some torque so it turns over, and the disc's stability catches up with it WAY late in flight and brings it back towards straight.

Animix said:
It's because OAT is key for getting a disc to turn over hard enough when it's going that high. For distance lines you're throwing VERY high, 50-70' or so. So for calmer conditions, you take something a little bit flippy, blast it up there with some torque so it turns over, and the disc's stability catches up with it WAY late in flight and brings it back towards straight.

And if you muscle the disc by accelerating early to maximize velocity you can get the disc higher or equivalent altitude with more air speed with reduced spin but only early in the flight. Later on the lack of spin will start to hurt but that's less of a decrease in D compared to the additional D gotten by getting the disc higher. Ideally one should get higher and better average speed simultaneously. The way a non late accelerated throw can get higher is what Animix wrote above plus catching a free ride that is added energy mid flight from wind pushing the disc forward and gravity dropping the disc fast keeping the disc moving faster for a longer time.

An example, not real life necessarily, would be a Leopard hyzer flipped to 50 degree anny at 70' 170'+ downrange slowing to a creep at the apex. If there's left rear wind it pushes the disc forward and the disc picks up speed as it starts to dive forward and right due to anny. Depending on how slow the disc is flying and how hard the wind is the disc can either land anny or get the full flight by flexing out at 360-400+' area. Manipulating speed at apex with wind and anny angle and how steeply the disc dives forward one could get seriously more D than that 410' out of a Leo. Discspeed has the power to achieve this. There's much to get right and the target wind is small and angles very picky so it's a totally new skill and will probably take a lot of practice to get things right. Wind usually is much faster at 50' than at ground level anyway so luck plays a part as well.

The disc in that example would fly about 30 degrees left of the tee line then move 50' or more to the right of the tee direction then perhaps come back left to 35' right of the tee line if the front of the disc isn't low enough or the speed at the apex was too slow. Or the apex was too high for the power of the thrower.

Animix said:

This is basically it. It is obviously key to have nose down to get a long flight, and especially so in distance throwing. Now when you are throwing very high, it can be harder to get stuff to flip enough from a hyzerflip, so in my case I still try to throw it with hyzer to also help with getting it to rise enough, but try to add a little bit of OAT to make sure it comes into the turn well.

As far as I understand it anyway :wink:

I think I'm understanding. I think this is what I'm doing when I do a full reach back power throw. I'm not sure I'm getting that much more power, but I know that it makes my discs of any stability flip more and faster. I never notice any wobble, so I never thought of it as being OAT, but Blake talks in the other thread of how OAT does not necessarily produce a visible wobble.