• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Distance Discs

dleath19

Par Member
I am curious what discs and what weights the guys who compete in distance competitions use. Anyone have any idea?

death by hyzer said:
150 dragons
so much sarcasm on the boards lately people will find somewhere else to ask simple questions.

Personally, big D discs are pro or base plastic high speed drivers in the mid to high 160s.

Think 166 pro/dx destroyer/wraith/boss.

there's a different big D disc for everyone... it depends on where you are with your form, power, technique, etc.

How far are you throwing, and what do you throw now for your max D?

R-Pro Bosses changed my life... although I haven't tried a Pro Boss yet.

I was throwing a 169 Star Beast for Max D when throwing rounds because I can control it. I would say my farthest throw with that was about 340. I did recently purchase an R-Pro Boss to use on open holes and I can definitely throw that one a lot farther. Not sure if I have hit 400 yet, but I think a few have been close on some slightly downhill holes.

@340' you should be looking at light (mid 160's) Valks. Any of them are good but DX will glide a little further.
Don't underestimate Roadrunners or Sidewinders either- they can be sneaky long but IMO they are more demanding of good form. R-Pro bosses will scoot and don't require a huge power input but they have a much harsher fade and a huge wing to hold onto. Huge wings don't allow for a strong grip on the disc unless you have Shaq-sized hands.
But any driver you choose should be around 165 grams or lower.

Both of the discs I use for normal distance shots are heavier than I used to throw, but they're both kinda flippy so the extra weight lets me crank on them without worrying about turning them too far.

Mostly I've been throwing a 171g ESP Force that I tuned to be nice and flippy, but before that I was throwing a 174g Z Surge SS (and still do, depending on the line I need). I'm sure a lighter Force would work too, but the lighter Z Surge SS I have is only useful in tailwinds or for turnovers/rollers. That thing gets WAY flippy at lighter weights.

In the winter/snow I'll usually throw something flippier than normal beacuse I have less traction. That lighter Surge SS will come out more, and I'll start throwing my 150 ESP Flick for more than trick shots.

dstain19 said:
I am curious what discs and what weights the guys who compete in distance competitions use. Anyone have any idea?

Here's from Innova's page for Christian Sandstrom:

Christian shattered the distance record April 26, 2002 at "Big D in the Desert". His record throw of 250 meters (820 feet) was made with a DX Valkyrie.

Avery Jenkins says on his site says Christian's was a 168g, and that he himself was throwing DX Destroyers in the high-mid-160's, but that for a lower altitude contest he'd probably throw a TeeRex (huh! interesting!).

I used to throw under stable plastic on hyzerflips for big distance, now I sort of favor throwing moderately stable fast discs on a distance anhyzer line. I find that I get a little more consistency, instead of depending on hitting the perfect angle to flip up and over, and still get the disc go fade out.

Normally I toss a newish champ destroyer for this, max weight. If I was going for pure distance, I'd probably try to work with a mid 160's and work on a higher line.

the choice of disc also depends upon the conditions. The stronger the tailwind is, the harder it will be to keep a highspeed driver at cruisingspeed. You want the disc to hold the turn as long as possible before fading forward.

New Danish record (182 meters) was set last weekend by KJ in pretty poor conditions with little wind, with a 171 DX Valk.

rehder said:
the choice of disc also depends upon the conditions. The stronger the tailwind is, the harder it will be to keep a highspeed driver at cruisingspeed. You want the disc to hold the turn as long as possible before fading forward.

New Danish record (182 meters) was set last weekend by KJ in pretty poor conditions with little wind, with a 171 DX Valk.

I played with KJ when he came and stayed with Climo in Clearwater last year. He was throwing somewhere in the 500' range with Star Teebirds when we were playing safari golf on one of Kenny's custom layouts. It made me feel like I make noobs feel. :lol: That teebird would be in the air FOREVER. Not quite GG, but perhaps the most powerful thrower I've seen who wasn't a Gurthie (GG's brother throws further, but doesn't really play DG). Although I saw Kallstrom crush at the old Player's Cup course as well as Avery...He's certainly in that class.

I throw the Inferno 167g Quarter K 168g and CH Boss 175g
the QK wins 7/10, but the Inferno has flown the farthest of any.
The Boss is the only one in the bag because it is controllable, the
others are BigD only. Star Destroyers 175g are good,but like the
QK & Inferno they beat up quick and flip city.
480 -550 ft

Farthest golf throws ever: 149g flattop DX TeeRex
Distance comp discs: brand spankin' new 150g R-Pro Bosses
Distance comp discs (crazy wind): beat 150g Champion Vikings

I know Jack Cooksey throws lighter stuff in distance competition, too. He has as stack of 150g dx teebirds he likes throwing for fun :)

I think he's thrown a destroyer, but not a lot of the faster stuff. He's talked about trying some of it.

black udder said:
I know Jack Cooksey throws lighter stuff in distance competition, too. He has as stack of 150g dx teebirds he likes throwing for fun :)

I think he's thrown a destroyer, but not a lot of the faster stuff. He's talked about trying some of it.

I still have like 3 of his 1st run DX Tbirds...Aced with one and had Juliana sign it, the other got beat to being useless in all but a 30mph tailwind and the other I just don't want to lose now. Not completely related to the topic at hand but whatever.

There are a few discs I'd use for all out distance.

Pro orc: This disc is retarded long if you can keep it from flipping.
DX orc: Good until it hits a tree
DX destroyer: Wow, just wow. Flippy but insanely long.
DX wraith

That said, I think I've had the longest throws of my life with first run star destroyers. It's just harder to do it consistently with them than the discs I mentioned above.

ESP surges, champion bosses and star wraiths are up there as far as distance goes as well.

Don't even bother trying to throw the record discs for distance. The distance competition really has no bearing on playing DG on the course. Not only do we not have the ability to throw like that, accuracy is of no importance when these guys throw that far.

Donkeypuncher said:
Don't even bother trying to throw the record discs for distance. The distance competition really has no bearing on playing DG on the course. Not only do we not have the ability to throw like that, accuracy is of no importance when these guys throw that far.

Almost true, but throwing distance shots, teaches you about other aspects of throwing discs, that could come in handy on the golfcourse, amongst others the ability to throwing very high shots and inducing OAT on purpose