• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Borrowing and or Loaning Discs

podunk pete

Banned
A few months ago I borrowed a champ T-bird off my buddy to try out at the practice field. I took it to said practice field and tossed it a few times and didn't necessarily like it. Fast forward a few days and said buddy asks for his disc back, which I happily oblige, except for one problem, I could not find it anywhere, I looked and looked and looked to no avail. This is very unlike me to lose things, but I come clean to said buddy, and pay him cash for the disc.

A few pertinent facts:
This disc was purchased used and was in his extras bin, so not a favorite disc or anything.
Said buddy has a massive disc collection and multiple other T-birds to pick from.
I have borrowed other things such as DVD's and such and always returned them
As forementioned, I have cash to replace any disc that I would damage or lose.
I see him most everyday at work

I asked to borrow a used Pro Leopard today to try out in the field, and he said no due to the above story.

Do you think he is justified in his actions, I say he is a Wanker;)
Judge away

How big is a "big" collection? 300 discs?

I'd say give him a deposit.

I would say he is justified. If he loaned it to you, and you lost the disc, I would call him an idiot for making the same mistake twice. I'm not saying that you aren't trustworthy, just that you lost his Teebird. What is to stop you from losing his Leopard?

I should mention the reason I don't just buy a Leopard, is that I just bought 2 cheetas, and the only difference I see is Glide....so I just wanted to field test one

Replace the teebird with a very nice new teebird. Doesn't matter what condition it was in he loaned you something and you lost it. Hopefully after this is done he will start to trust you again.

yeah id say maybe see if he would just let you kick him a 10 spot for a deposit

I can see where a deposit maybe a feasible idea....but since I have plenty of cash to back myself up, I would prefer not to have to invest capital upfront, but use it as an "insurance plan" for said buddy.

Never a borrower or a lender be. He may be a wanker, or maybe you've lost other things you don't remember. In any case he closed the door. You say you've got the money so buy what you want to try.

Replace the teebird with a very nice new teebird. Doesn't matter what condition it was in he loaned you something and you lost it. Hopefully after this is done he will start to trust you again.

read the post again...I did this already....and I should mention I did it even after, said buddy said that he would not accept money from me.....I forced him to take my money, and he did, hence I made up for my mistake and it should be forever erased from our history.

I don't know the condition of the TeeBird or the Leopard in question, but you know there is the possibility that the Leopard is in the sweet spot that he just doesn't want to take the chance of losing. Even if you could get him a new Leo, he would have to take the time to beat it in again.

I don't know the condition of the TeeBird or the Leopard in question, but you know there is the possibility that the Leopard is in the sweet spot that he just doesn't want to take the chance of losing. Even if you could get him a new Leo, he would have to take the time to beat it in again.

good point, but is not the case for this situation.....

There are certain discs that people are very attached to because of the specific state of wear. These cannot simply be replaced by new ones. I have a number of discs like that in my bag that I would never loan to someone, especially if they previously lost a loaner. If this is the case with that particular disc, he is totally justified. However, if it's just one of his extras that he doesn't use often, he needs to lighten up. Clearly you will make any effort to compensate him if anything happens to it.

Edit: previous two posts came in as I was writing this. Great minds think alike!

There are certain discs that people are very attached to because of the specific state of wear. These cannot simply be replaced by new ones. I have a number of discs like that in my bag that I would never loan to someone, especially if they previously lost a loaner. If this is the case with that particular disc, he is totally justified. However, if it's just one of his extras that he doesn't use often, he needs to lighten up. Clearly you will make any effort to compensate him if anything happens to it.

:hfive:

I don't like to loan discs out but I will on occasion.... Let's say you hit a tree and put a big gash or whatever in it... now I have a disc with a big gash in it and I'm too nice to ask for $$ for that... I let my nephew borrow my new Fuse and he just up and lost it and didn't even think to pay for it... bad news lending discs out if you ask me... just go to the PIAS and get a used one or buy one and sell it here if you don't like it... or buy one and throw it off a mountain if you don't like it... :D that could be worth it, right?

it wont be long and he will be chiming in.......and no matter what he tells you guys....this was an extra disc, not anything that he had any attatchment to what so ever......fyi

Latest posts