• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bracing and Parametric Acceleration

Apologies because I should put this in the Beto thread. I have to learn to make a gif.

But this struck me. At 16:30 - 16:46 he does a slow motion hyzer, and the disc pivots smoothly out of his hand, ending up pinched between thumb and forefinger. Clearly that's where it rips from. He repeats this same sequence several more times in the video, always showing that smooth motion to the final pinch. .

That doesn't happen to me. If Beto is supposed to teach a clean release I would have to hold with finger and thumb.

Trying to understand what you mean here. Are you just having trouble with the concept of the disc ripping out of your hand, instead of there being a deliberate release?

To me, a good swing usually ends with a a bounce in my wrist and a tug on my index finger. There is NO WAY I can hold onto a disc if I accelerate it late correctly. Do you have any form videos up that can be used to see what might be causing this to be hard for ya? It is a weird concept at first, I remember being confused when I first started hearing all of this also, but you definitely do not release any disc deliberately when thrown with any actual power.

Back to the brace and the legs: it definitely requires a pump in the hips to develop this acceleration, but if the timing is right, the hip bounce can be pretty subtle and generate a lot of force at the hands.

The easiest way for me to visualize it is to switch around the hands and feet a la parallel bar swings: even with locked arms, a well-timed shoulder shrug can really whip the feet around.

You can also get acceleration if you attempt a dip (bend elbows) on the downswing, but it's significantly more stressful on the musculature.

A combination of the linkages is probably most efficient but you need the musculature to support it. And this linear move is a gross oversimplification of a rotational move -- as many have already stated, the real trick is getting out of the way of the disc once you get it moving.

Trying to understand what you mean here. Are you just having trouble with the concept of the disc ripping out of your hand, instead of there being a deliberate release?

To me, a good swing usually ends with a a bounce in my wrist and a tug on my index finger. There is NO WAY I can hold onto a disc if I accelerate it late correctly.

I'll put some video up this week, I'm adjusting my schedule to get to the soccer fields for some longer field work.

I think a disc rarely if ever rips out of my hand. But what started this thought was doing some Beto drills and having the disc grip lock by catching on the ring finger. I actually threw it backwards once, didn't know that could happen. No way it could even get to the index finger to rip off that one. Then I saw the Feldman video and his always comes off his index finger. The classic McBeth release photo shows him hanging on with thumb and index.

I'll put some video up this week, I'm adjusting my schedule to get to the soccer fields for some longer field work.

I think a disc rarely if ever rips out of my hand. But what started this thought was doing some Beto drills and having the disc grip lock by catching on the ring finger. I actually threw it backwards once, didn't know that could happen. No way it could even get to the index finger to rip off that one. Then I saw the Feldman video and his always comes off his index finger. The classic McBeth release photo shows him hanging on with thumb and index.

To me my guess is that you are 'rounding' and that there is not enough room to generate an actual snap.

Hello everyone!

Been reading through some old posts thanks to Brychanus's Fundamentals thread.

Reading sidewinder22's post here he links to page about parametric acceleration.

flat-spot-hand-path2.jpg

That is for the golf swing (side view). If you take that as the top down view (and mirror it for RHBH) then it could be the disc golf swing correct?

My thinking is this helps me to understand the point of bracing on the front leg. Your COG is shifting forwards so by bracing on your front leg you're effectively moving in the direction of the green arrow and creating that acceleration.

Does this sounds correct? I hope so because it makes sense to me and I feel like it is helping me think more about how the stride relates to the swing.

I think the best way to view that information is to think of it as the side view in disc golf as well.

SW showing the effect of it right around 5:30 minute mark. Pumping the swing.

https://youtu.be/k4-IN1yMQXc

And in that article he mentions how that flattens the swing plane at the bottom because of the forces applied, think that is what is happening to the elbow and the flight of the disc itself. The flight will come out straight to target and not fly sky high like one might think. You're feeling the acceleration and when to pump it.

Latest posts