• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
Pdga interview from 2012:

Q. It's no secret your reputation as the "Bad Boy" of disc golf precedes you. There are many examples of less than optimal behavior being discussed and/or captured on video (e.g. refusal to high five, intentionally missing the putt in skins, drinking during the Final 9 at Red Rock, not providing your opponent congratulations after loss in Player's Cup) What is your feeling about these incidents? Have you made a concerted effort to prevent such incidents in the future?

A. I don't feel the need to high-five a group of men before starting a competition. I feel as I do about many other things, giving high-fives is a useless tradition that has been passed down and is something that's expected to take place before a round begins and ends. People play games in various fashions, I don't need to be a part of your high-five tradition.

As for the Fly Ink Skins, if two or more people score the same on a hole, the skin pushes. Double G's drive was closest to the pin. My score was not needed to push the hole. Also, as playing on the road can be hard to earn dollars, many players collude before such events to harvest as much money for their cause. I was the odd man out for the Fly Ink Skins match.

At the time of the Final 9 at Red Rock I was not aware the PDGA had guidelines for what I believed was a exhibition round. For the record, I had a leftover can of beer in my bag from lunch. As there are no trash cans on the course, I left it in my bag. During the round, I finished what was left of it and returned it to my bag. I was immediately disqualified and the PDGA put me on a 6-month probation for consuming alcohol during a sanctioned event.

Q. What do you say to those who feel you show a lack of respect to the game and your opponents?

A. I obviously respect the game of disc golf. You can look at my progress to see that. My opponents must earn respect for themselves. Just because you want to give me a high-five doesn't mean you have earned my respect.

http://www.pdga.com/record-breaking-weekend

I feel like, when the governing body of a thing decides to take disciplinary action against you for "insert violations here", Its not unreasonable for the details of that to be available to other members of that body, in this case the PDGA and its members. It doesnt really make any sense to me why it wouldnt be information made available. How bad could it be? If it were so incendiary that it needs to be hidden from the public, you would think it wouldve warranted longer than 18 months.

If you volunteer to be the person to decide and implement punishment on someone, I have doubts on that person's integrity as a human being, and would argue on a clinical level that this is characteristics of a narcissist. I also have the credentials to assess and diagnose this!

I also have a Axis I diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I am also on the disciplinary list. Only after acknowledging my own diagnosis to a select few did it ever start to impact me within the sport and PDGA. Before doing so, it was only about competition. I am a firm believer in taking ownership of behavior. I have had to do so on a level that is much more scrutinized for my entire life.

I believe that in the "ask Bradley Williams " thread a couple years back he self identified as a psychopath, saying that he does not feel the emotional response of others. So there's that.

I feel like, when the governing body of a thing decides to take disciplinary action against you for "insert violations here", Its not unreasonable for the details of that to be available to other members of that body, in this case the PDGA and its members. It doesnt really make any sense to me why it wouldnt be information made available. How bad could it be? If it were so incendiary that it needs to be hidden from the public, you would think it wouldve warranted longer than 18 months.

Considering there is an appeals process involved here, it's possible that neither side wants to make the details public until that process has a chance to play out. Once the appeals are over and everything is set in stone one way or the other, we might get more details.

Patience is a virtue and all that mumbo-jumbo. Not everything can be or has to be instantaneous.

I worked with a client who self identified as an alien from another universe, who am I to judge.

It's amazing how this just escapes people.

Thats my take. Ill never be suspended for fighting, being agressive, smoking, drinking, or doing drugs, so...I find it easier to just not be a jerk, suspension never crosses my mind. I dont care if the penalty is that they cut off your throwing arm. If you dont want to do the time, dont do the crime.

Not sure I buy in to the notion that there is a fair appeals process. For mine, I was hospitalized and unavailable. PDGA dropped the hammer on me without even considering my side or the witnesses I would have liked to provide their accounts. Hospitalized with a disability. I accept the suspension en lieu of realizing my own self need to get better and avoid such situations. I guess I also just dropped my expectations of the PDGA having a professional governing body. I still play because we have nothing better. Screw the American's with Disabilities act of 1990!

Thats my take. Ill never be suspended for fighting, being agressive, smoking, drinking, or doing drugs, so...I find it easier to just not be a jerk, suspension never crosses my mind. I dont care if the penalty is that they cut off your throwing arm. If you dont want to do the time, dont do the crime.

It's really not that hard.

The real question here is: How soon before we can get this thread 'filled ?

Let's find out:

da693804064f4e0f0821f42beba1dbe1.jpg

If you volunteer to be the person to decide and implement punishment on someone, I have doubts on that person's integrity as a human being, and would argue on a clinical level that this is characteristics of a narcissist. I also have the credentials to assess and diagnose this!

I also have a Axis I diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I am also on the disciplinary list. Only after acknowledging my own diagnosis to a select few did it ever start to impact me within the sport and PDGA. Before doing so, it was only about competition. I am a firm believer in taking ownership of behavior. I have had to do so on a level that is much more scrutinized for my entire life.

So much for the entire judicial process.

if everyone posting here would go read the PDGA documents about the disciplinary process, this thread would be a much better place with meaningful discussion.

So much misinformation and misguided distaste for the PDGA! The PDGA doesn't go after players, it depends on the players to regulate. Had a form not been sent in, There would be no suspension.

You can say "that is none of your business" about every single thread in this forum, yet here you are, spending endless hours gossiping on a disc golf forum, peanut. Why are you in this thread if it is none of YOUR business? Provide me ONE example of an athlete being suspended, and the reason for their suspension not being cited. Go ahead, find me ONE.

Regardless of who's business is, it is required that the governing body explain what the suspension is for. Otherwise they can just play judge, jury, and executioner, suspending anyone for any reason. Which I am guessing is what happened here. They don't like Bradley, so they took this opportunity to let him have it.

Now, how about the length of the suspension?! 18 months? Has there ever been a longer suspension in any other sport? Of all the heinous things done that resulted in suspension, never have I heard of one this long. And for what? PDGA is such a joke.

I think Jon Jones suspension from the UFC was never really released, though i dug around and found it. I know the guy is a bit of a hot-head, but....18 months is a lot...i get like, 6 or even 12

Does anyone know what the suspension was for the guys in the fist fight that took place at a FL tournament a few years back (Jacksonville Open I think?)? I guess the PDGA could have used the same standards for William's suspension.

He got 6 month probation for drinking a beer during a Final 9? Where's the outrage on that? How do they expect people to watch Final 9's sober, much less play in them? Due to this injustice alone I am going to refuse to stand for national anthems in the future.

Latest posts