• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

Here is my first one on a white disc and first using iDye Poly. I dislike how the color really faded. I think I can just thicken up the mixture a bit more and it will help a little with that. It also weakened the thickness of the shaving cream so it only shows the large waves and not the smaller ones like the previous dyes. I also only let this sit for 5 hours. (too anxious)

0B6C2F00-2858-45CB-9D99-16AB3E49A927-7280-0000083C73865D0E.jpg

Last edited:
What was your mixture of dye at the beginning? 1 pack to 32 oz of water or 1 pack to 64 oz of water, or ?????

I use them as well, found them at walmart, yeah I know, anyway, found them at wmart for like 50 cents each.... So is anybody else out there having any success with the brainwave technique? Any new twists? This started out hot and heavy and kinda fizzled down, hope we can get it rolling again. Word on the street has it that there might be a sweet video soon...................;) :hfive:

here's a couple experiments, not digging how the purple color turned out

tide, plus plate, plus oven...

first attempt
vdq2u.jpg

second attempt
2b4rnl.jpg

over at 200 F
tide on a plate, add dye, push disc in and move it a bit
let it sit in the over for about 30 minutes
take it out, let it cool, then rinse it off
dye sets about as fast as a hot dip does

I tried this using shaving cream and some older Kelly Green liquid Rit. Oven was set at 170 and left in for an hour. The color didn't show up but I was pleased with the patterns.

photo1-3_zps3cfe30a0-1_zpscfd49a8a.jpg

photo2-2_zps6ba717db-1_zps20a9a55f.jpg

Last edited:
Tide laundry detergent

It doesn't leave the speckled pattern like shaving cream does when it dries. Works the same way though

My biggest problem is using smaller amounts of it so I get a few lines and not a giant blob. Got a few more attempts to make tonight; going to break out some brighter colors I think

Just wondering if this design is possible... I'm thinking that you would have to use like a plastic wrap as the pan.... after the radial movement, pull the plastic from the outside-inward from the disc (instead of pulling the disc from the pan/plastic). What do you guys think?

depositphotos_7185167-Ring-of-Fire.jpg

Just wondering if this design is possible... I'm thinking that you would have to use like a plastic wrap as the pan.... after the radial movement, pull the plastic from the outside-inward from the disc (instead of pulling the disc from the pan/plastic). What do you guys think?

depositphotos_7185167-Ring-of-Fire.jpg

This gives me a fun simple idea to do .. i will post up results tomorrow

Latest posts