• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking Bad Timing Habit

I'd like to help you get your body to bear load differently in general rather than think "hunch" to fix the pelvic tilt & spine extension.

If you do drills like this with a cylindrical trash can, actual sandbag, heavy weight, etc., you should be able to find a posture where you feel like you're cradling the load relaxed in a "hollow" space near your tummy. This is the space and posture you want to develop for a DG BH, and integrates the solution to the pelvic tilt and spine extension. If you try to grab a sandbag and extend your spine, you'll notice that you start to put too much load into your quads and probably feel more work in your lower back. If you let the weight settle in more, you will feel like you could stand or move with it effortlessly a long time. This took me a long time to work on and I found that doing it with load-bearing aids and things that helped force my body into the posture really helped. I did this with 40lb bags of mulch while helping my wife with gardening. It is dramatically lower effort than the posture you're naturally swinging with in your DG BH, and a lot of players appear to struggle with it. Something with some heft & irregular shape like that can help your body relax into it properly.

Ok gotcha, thanks! I unfortunately don't have any sandbags in my life, but I think I can kiiiinda see what you mean already just going through a swing and at every step thinking about relaxing my back to create that hollow feeling. I have 5-gallon water jugs which I think should work ok, next time I get those refilled I'll give this a go.

Tried some throws and some "sandbag" walking/swinging. I tried to put the more hollow and relaxed feeling into practice, didn't have much success but did discover a few things. One is that I was finding it difficult to get a full backswing, though I think that could just be partly that I wasn't as relaxed as I was trying to be. I realized if I just think about swinging a golf club back, where I'm imagining I'm holding onto something that's dangling right above the ground, my posture looks better and I also have no issues getting range of motion. So far I'm finding it tough to replicate that in a real swing, though.
Another thing I'm finding is that things really go wrong when I drop - something about the way I'm dropping my weight right now is extending my back. Not really sure how to fix that so far, but just something I've noticed.

This first throw I was able I think to keep my back from extending so much, but I also didn't get a full backswing, so it released way right. It did go far though!

I tried to let the jug hang as low as possible to get my back fully rounded, but I don't know, maybe my back is still too straight?

1. Note how my jug matches spine tilt.

2. Note how my shins are more vertical with hips hinged more. My nose is right over toes and knees are more inside posture.

Both our cameras are a little crooked, but lines should be corrected to vertical.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.12.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.12.32 PM.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 91
Thanks! Are you trying to lean back pretty much as far as you can, while still being balanced?

IMO should be a sweet spot where your body feels like it naturally counterbalances the jug and you can move at low effort. In stead of "lean" think more into the hinge like he mentioned there. I adjusted pic to show your orientations to be a little less crooked relative to the ground. Note also where his elbow is relative to his toes & nose as he hinges back more. Should feel like a strong but relaxed posture. Strong doesn't mean "muscled" here. Might feel "wrong" at first because it'll feel less effortful to you.

NJEOAIC.png

Last edited:
Coming back from a trip, trying to pick up the pieces again. I'm pretty rusty so I took the chance to reset a little bit and just try to make the swing feel as much like a golf swing as possible in every regard, without worrying too much about what my arm was doing.
I think it did actually help me with some things, like it helped me with my issue of rotating over top of my front leg - but definitely some problems at the same time, like I never really figured out how to get my arm un-trapped from behind my body, and it looks like I'm still struggling with extending my back leg in the weight transfer.

On the right track at all?

Also got more fun with water jugs, just trying to move around and feel some different postures

Coming back from a trip, trying to pick up the pieces again. I'm pretty rusty so I took the chance to reset a little bit and just try to make the swing feel as much like a golf swing as possible in every regard, without worrying too much about what my arm was doing.
I think it did actually help me with some things, like it helped me with my issue of rotating over top of my front leg - but definitely some problems at the same time, like I never really figured out how to get my arm un-trapped from behind my body, and it looks like I'm still struggling with extending my back leg in the weight transfer.

On the right track at all?

Also got more fun with water jugs, just trying to move around and feel some different postures

I want to help you get everything squared up better overall.

Jug posture is a little better, but get that jug aligned more with your spine like SW below and shuffle-walk around with it a bit. Let it swing more in line with your spine and feel out how you can bear the load. If you don't actually watch to throw the jug, swing it from the improved posture as though you would and pay attention to how it feels across your body. Your arms look a bit longer than SW's- you might need to clasp the jug more like the guy doing the sandbag carry on the right to get the jug aligned and supported well - otherwise square things up more like SW overall. Jug should be up closer to your crotch to mitigate some of the slouching.

I see many of the same posture issues from the jug in your actual swing - I like your rhythm and tempo overall, but you are not quite squared up across your body. Give this a try. Get the move and work on it - it pays it forward over weeks/months.

2UFsZv1.png

I want to help you get everything squared up better overall.

Jug posture is a little better, but get that jug aligned more with your spine like SW below and shuffle-walk around with it a bit. Let it swing more in line with your spine and feel out how you can bear the load. If you don't actually watch to throw the jug, swing it from the improved posture as though you would and pay attention to how it feels across your body. Your arms look a bit longer than SW's- you might need to clasp the jug more like the guy doing the sandbag carry on the right to get the jug aligned and supported well - otherwise square things up more like SW overall. Jug should be up closer to your crotch to mitigate some of the slouching.

I see many of the same posture issues from the jug in your actual swing - I like your rhythm and tempo overall, but you are not quite squared up across your body. Give this a try. Get the move and work on it - it pays it forward over weeks/months.

2UFsZv1.png

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Do you have any thoughts on the rounding, in particular, or should that sort itself out with better posture? I think in trying to feel "golf swing" I was swinging my back arm more than my front arm, and it was actually a little painful on my elbow how trapped my front arm was, especially if I tried to put any effort in whatsoever. Tried to close off as much as I could, but it usually resulted in riding my extended back leg too far down and going over the top.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Do you have any thoughts on the rounding, in particular, or should that sort itself out with better posture? I think in trying to feel "golf swing" I was swinging my back arm more than my front arm, and it was actually a little painful on my elbow how trapped my front arm was, especially if I tried to put any effort in whatsoever. Tried to close off as much as I could, but it usually resulted in riding my extended back leg too far down and going over the top.

Good Q!

Maybe. Like all good questions it's probably "it depends." I was thinking about this again after SW just gave me feedback so let me try to integrate a couple concepts about posture and mechanics as part of my Monday morning homework.

Like SW or many of the golf instructors, I've become a big fan of any use of natural objects and moves that help square posture up, especially when they involve moving/shifting your weight around etc. I keep learning more about them.

In general, the better posture gets, the less people tend to round or get stress at the shoulder or elbow. There are good reasons for why that can happen. But you (& your body) need to understand/learn what is dynamic about the postures for it to work.

Remember that a lot of improving posture in the context of the X-hop helps improve the space you have to swing out-in-out wide from your body like Paige and McBeth here. Naturally, that also likely means you tend to get less jerk redirection force at the shoulder or the elbow because it's more of a spacious, smooth process.

K52uO3j.png

I personally still needed to put a lot of work into finding a good path for leverage through my arm, but if the posture sucks you can develop all kinds of bad arm habits and we've seen people get stuck chasing symptoms and not causes basically forever. Conversely, if your arm doesn't know the task (hammer/leverage out the disc), it's hard to get posture squared up to the task.

So I wanted to also mention a couple things that are directly related to my own swing development. As I started adding momentum to my own swing again, I now always am willing to slow down and fix posture issues since failing to do so has inevitably led me to worse swings and more pain, if not injury. I definitely want things more squared up when throwing 10lb+ sledgehammers because adding commensurate momentum to my throws risks injury in addition to leaving easy power on the table. In general it has always been harder for my legs to do what they need to do when my dynamic posture gets askew in one way or another. I have learned more about where and how to condition my body for the demands, but swing-wise, a lot of it just comes down to figuring out how to swing the arm/disc unit "out from your center."

The jug should be "trapped" in your center of gravity. When you clasp the jug, the jug/body unit's center moves out farther from your belly because the ~40lb. jug has plenty of mass. If you shuffle walk around with the jug (like Battering Ram), it starts to help your body connect the ground pressure and leverage to the natural task of slogging a jug around. If you find a "sweet spot" for the jug like SW, you will be able to haul that jug longer more easily, and toss it further more easily if you want to. It's because the mass of your body and jug work harmoniously when you move, and then slinging it with the correct counterbalance means that your body mass does most of the work.

But what about throwing with the **** arm and rounding (collapse at shoulder)? I find that the sledgehammer gives me really important body feedback. It turned out that I could always manipulate a lighter hammer with my arm unconsciously once I started swinging for more power. A short-handled mallet could even be several pounds and with my upper body muscle mass I could find a way to muscle it a bit. But if you do that with a long-handled sledgehammer, I don't care how strong you are - you will probably dislocate something.

Notice that Eveliina, Simon, the Olympic hammer guy, Jarvis (I think) and Sidewinder all effectively have the same swing process stacked on the front leg in tilted axis. There, I'm (bottom left) not destroying my arm because I'm still swinging out relaxed from my CoG, but like SW critiqued, I'm never really getting the whole process tight "inside" my posture and well-grounded stacked fully on top of my plant leg in the pivoting move, so I'm still swinging "over the top". Doubtless part of that is contributing to the funk in my DG swing when my feet get moving.

gWzerQf.png

Now, go back up to the jug posture image and then look at all those hammering folks. The "imaginary jug" would be seated comfortably inside their posture like SW holding the water jug in the previous post as the disc was coming in toward each person's center. As the arm/disc swings out, the mass of the arm/hammer should be doing almost all of the work with just enough tension/contraction reflex to fire out the disc following the body's mass. Compared to the other 5 people, if you put the imaginary water jug in my posture there, I would start swinging more wildly out of control leaving some easy leverage on the table which we also see in my sledgehammer releases.

So, if you get better "jug bearing" posture, and if I get better control over the same in my sledgehammer swing, the body will naturally want to swing the arm out wider from the out-in-out pattern (or whatever backswing). It's because it should just be following the rest of the body and CoG swinging the arm into the release,
showthread.php
that you or I currently have. To throw the sledge out from my body is always mostly about my body - my arm follows its lead!

I personally like working with the sledgehammer again because it forces me to get loose, and let my body and gravity do more of the work. I can't think about much when I swing a sledge because if I do I'll get hurt, and my body knows it and takes over! I can take the little tips I get from SW, then set up to work on them, and just get swinging. I also have had more spontaneous field "easy distance" breakthroughs throwing like this than almost anything else because it truly helps me access the "freewheeling" thing we talk about around here much more easily. Also important to note that I have finally learned to allow adequate rest and focus on quality over quantity in my fieldwork.

And throwing sledgehammers is exhilarating and just plain ****ing fun.

Well I've got some jug and sledgehammer videos! Apologies for so many, but I've got some stuff to work through.

I tried to get the jug in closer and matching my spine angle better - to be honest, still not getting great body feedback from this, I know some ways of holding it started to hurt my lower back so I adjusted, but otherwise I'm not getting an "aha" moment where it feels a lot easier to move around. Might not be there yet!

Did a lot of work with a hammer the last couple days. I think I've made some improvements to my backswing, but it all falls apart when I try to shift my weight. I just cannot for the life of my figure out right now how to shift without extending my back leg.

My first attempts looked like this:

I tried shifting more backwards and trying to move my legs underneath me - the throw felt better, but still definitely extending;

I tried focusing only on getting onto my front leg - led to a more baseball or forehand type swing, couldn't keep my shoulders closed

My one and only breakthrough came when I decided to get some film of ultimate-style throws. I've played a lot more ultimate than disc golf, it's how I first learned to throw, so I figured maybe I'd get a more natural result. I wouldn't say this swing is perfect or anything, but to me at least it looks a lot better!

So now that's got me wondering how I can basically just do that but with disc golf footwork. It's obviously easier to have a lot of space to swing when you're striding completely closed off to the target, like in ultimate, so figuring that piece out is probably gonna be the difficulty.

So now that's got me wondering how I can basically just do that but with disc golf footwork. It's obviously easier to have a lot of space to swing when you're striding completely closed off to the target, like in ultimate, so figuring that piece out is probably gonna be the difficulty.

I like you starting with hammer toss. Will get back to details when I have a minute but wanted to give you some emerging theory on this and how hammers help develop footwork for DG:

Footwork should be about moving your body in a way that efficiently uses your body mass to lead all phases of the swing.

As the hammer swings improve and you get more stacked and squared up, your footwork and legs might start to tighten up a bit on their own. I also think that standstill hammer tosses teach something complementary and slightly different from long handle 360/720/1080 sledge tosses.

SW encouraged me to tighten up my sledge swings and I worked my 720s with the feet closer together. The cool thing today was that even though my posture still had problems, my body immediately picked up the hint for how to start getting more compact torque directly against the ground from the feet up. It's because my body was starting to learn to "swing from my CoG" rather than force ungainly moves through my legs or scrunch or muscle up through the arm. It also helps generate a feel for a "ballistic" process slinging stuff with the whole body, which can be helpful even if your swings aren't perfect.

My legs started to get incrementally better today because they FELT what was more efficient for the hammer. My X-hop got a little better just by following the lead of what my legs learned from the hammer. My move got "smaller" but with a bigger acceleration spike.

Compact. Lead with body mass. Efficient. Elongated swing delivering efficient acceleration.

CBVKlQr.gif

So the theory for you is just surrender to the benefits of weighed long levered throws (hammers). Keep learning to optimize them, and throw right after you warm up with them. Realize that the speed comes very late in the swing just like it does when swinging an even longer and heavier lever. Your legs will start to get inclined to improve because your old swings will feel kinda ****ty and weak and too effortful. It's easier to teach that to the body with things like hammers, I promise. Not in one day, but over time.

Will get back to a few specific things I see in your tosses tomorrow and as usual follow SW's lead on anything he posts.

Last edited:
Breakthrough in the lower body department I think - I'm realizing that my legs had just completely forgotten how to shift my weight, and if I go back and look at video over the last year it's actually gotten worse and worse over time. I went back to the feet together Shawn Clement drill, trying to relearn a feel for the stride, and I realized that if I focus on tossing my hips towards the target, not just tossing the disc back, suddenly I get my weight way out in front of my legs and then catch myself and brace automatically, which I'd always heard is how it should be but I've never quite been able to do before. Not perfect, but hopefully a step in the right direction! I've just been working from the feet together drill, working on looseness and posture in my upper body, still battling the urge to go over the top. Something still definitely doesn't feel right somewhere in the last part of my swing, feels like I'm not really connecting with the disc yet.

Thanks!

More progress I think! after playing around with that drill some more and still struggling with the downswing, I realized what I was really missing was that feeling of landing fully weighted on the plant leg and being able to use it to pump the swing. I can get that feeling easily with a step out swing like elephant walk/ultimate throw, but I find it much harder with an x step, and I've only really come close with a more vertical style - so I decided to see if I could keep my hershyzer progress while adding a hop. I think I was sort of getting it! Definitely opening up too early and leaning back in the hop, and probably other stuff going wrong, but at least I don't feel stuck on my back leg so much anymore.

Still getting a little stuck leaning away/decelerating over the drive step in X. Rear knee never really crosses behind and you plant very soft.

In the prior standstill you are rushing the backswing because you are never quite fully in balanced tilt on the rear leg in transition. Your butt shifts abruptly forward with you leaning back through the upper body.

I am wondering if next you should be working on progressively bigger Hershyzer to work on getting balanced on the rear leg and taking it more aggressively into the plant and see if you can get it to jive in the standstill. You could try to find/force it in the X but it looks like you haven't really accessed the feel for the balanced move yet.

Would probably show "raw" hershyzer without throwing.

Still getting a little stuck leaning away/decelerating over the drive step in X. Rear knee never really crosses behind and you plant very soft.

In the prior standstill you are rushing the backswing because you are never quite fully in balanced tilt on the rear leg in transition. Your butt shifts abruptly forward with you leaning back through the upper body.

I am wondering if next you should be working on progressively bigger Hershyzer to work on getting balanced on the rear leg and taking it more aggressively into the plant and see if you can get it to jive in the standstill. You could try to find/force it in the X but it looks like you haven't really accessed the feel for the balanced move yet.

Would probably show "raw" hershyzer without throwing.

Thanks! If you have the time, is there a good reference photo/video for what you mean by balanced tilt? I think I have a general idea of what you mean but I'm not positive.

Thanks! If you have the time, is there a good reference photo/video for what you mean by balanced tilt? I think I have a general idea of what you mean but I'm not positive.

Yep, here are a couple core references:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141909
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3850352

Some moves that exaggerate it in "freewheeling" form:

It "feels" like the head is aligning down through the spine into the rear leg in a tilt.

viewed in context of Ride the Bull from Turbo encabulator.
1vEIdDA.png

Keep in mind the pro move tends to look smaller and is harder to see than the drill exaggeration. I think this is part of why people find it so hard to work on. In context of pros vs. am., notice the subtle tilt (green line). This tilt remains as the drive leg hits the ground in the X-

YhaNAvF.png

-and as the weight shift begins off the x-step it looks like this. In the panel on the right he feels like his head is balanced over his drive foot with the same tilt as Paul or Feldy or the Ride the Bull move above.
Eyz5FEk.png

Note how Simon is leveraging/counter balancing his CoM from his disc across from the rear foot/fulcrum.

Note how you reachback too early/too far away while your CoM is still leaning behind your rear foot/fulcrum.

You aren't loading/coiling back inside your posture/rear foot correctly while falling butt first into the plant and then catching yourself from behind.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 12.53.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 12.53.43 AM.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39
Thank you both! SW - rewatching that Clement video does clear some things up with how to load back I think, just seeing the way his hips move.

I got some hershyzer videos because I'm still a little confused on how my back hip should feel as I'm transitioning. I feel like at times I've gone down the wrong track by trying to push too hard on my back hip as I'm moving forward, but I'm not sure if it should be totally relaxed either? I did it both ways, one trying to move forward controlled by doing what felt to me like "leveraging", and one that felt more like relaxing and dropping forward.

Thanks again!

Hard to say, but I think the drop one looks a little better.

In both of them your spine remains extended instead of flexed slightly or going into flexion as you stride which will move the shoulder further back.

Latest posts