• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building pinch strength -- found something simple

Spinthrift

Eagle Member
Several months ago, as I began to build better form and more snap at the rip, my issue was the disc slipping early. I wanted to build my grip strength, more exactly my pinch strength between thumb and forefinger. But when I researched it, most exercises were built around training with weights. I wanted something I could do driving to work, or while watching TV.

I remembered I had a pair of those hand exercisers. You know the kind, made out of coiled spring steel with foam covered handles. Costs about five bucks at Wally World for a pair of them. Works fine to build a grip with, but when you squeeze it, pressure is applied mainly by the base of the thumb and the pinky-through-middle fingers.

The light bulb blinked on. So I flipped it over so the V was pointing down and squeezed using only my forefinger and pad of my thumb. I was shocked at how hard it was to squeeze the handles together, and even more perturbed that I couldn't sustain it for more than a few seconds. Wuss.

So I put the coil in the car, and every morning on the way to work, and every night on the way home I would squeeze and hold, pause, flex my aching fingers and do it again, using the same grip I apply to a disc.

Two months later I can hold the coil closed 10 times longer than when I started. I knew something was changing when other guys began commenting on my handshake grip (which is not something I heard before). More to the point for DG, the increased pinch strength means I can apply more energy leading to the rip without fear of slippage. There's more "pop" when the disc rips out now.

It also taught me it's physically impossible to grip a disc tightly with forefinger/thumb until the wrist uncoils passing the right pec. I was squeezing the upside-down coil and tried to mimic my reachback and throwing motion. While holding the coil closed, it was impossible to cock my wrist at the same time. If I forced it, I had to let off the thumb-forefinger pressure to achieve the motion. The tendons simple couldn't do both at the same time.

Your mileage may vary, but this simple exercise is paying off for me in more snap and distance. And of equal importance is the confidence that I can stick my release without concern for spraying shots out early.

Great idea!

I use a gyroball when i watch TV....don't think it would exactly work while in the car but its great for the arm, pec, wrist, and grip. tends to get noisy too...my wife makes me leave the room.

make sure you do those hand exercises before a round!

jk i used to do those. made my hands the men they are today!

doublej said:
...tends to get noisy too...my wife makes me leave the room.
:lol:

These exercises do indeed sound useful. I'm in the same boat that Spinthrift was in before, in that I can get the disc going into a snap and I'm starting to feel the rip, but I know I could channel more power into it and get huge distances if only I could hold onto the disc and the point where the wrist uncoils. Grip strength, especially index-to-thumb, is definitely in order for me...I'll try the V-hand grip-thing too, since its not so noisy that it'll annoy my wife.

Something I just found which might be cheaper are those large black paper clips that have silver steel handles.

They look like this:

clip1.jpg

http://www.heavygrips.com/strength.html

Those look like the real deal.

I got out my olddddd grip and started the pinching method. I can already tell some difference.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=8

i have the trainer and the number 1...these things are hard to do 10reps with your hands normal...i'll try and do just thumb and single finger!

okay i can only close it about half way with the trainer one! i think i need to work up to one finger closing this thing!

ironmind has a book Mastering handstrength talks about all kinds of interesting free cheapways to increase pinch....

my fav is just doing motions while holding two five or 10 pound plate weights together in each hand!

Deadlifts are great for building crushing strength, but not for building pinch grip strength (the thumb). block weights as mentioned in the book and pinch gripping plates as elnino said. Block weights are better because of the explosive contraction required when catching the weights.

a lot of deadlifters fail in the grip first.....especially around 700lbs you see the grip is the problem not the strength of those guys....yes block weights are amazing for developing true hand strength. i have to find my block weights....man where are those dumbell ends?

Lifting w/ free weights in general w/o gloves or straps will increase your grip strength. I only mention deads b/c once you can master that lift - ur grip will develop killer strength, but also it works ur entire body especially ur core, and when you do heavy working sets you develop and recruit a lot more fast twitch fibers.
but in general you have to have a good medium between lifting heavy w/ free weights and working in/ incorperating cables, stretching, and balance exercises. Using my background as bodybulder/powerlifter and personal trainer, I am trying to find the best balance for disc golfers, although everyone reacts differently I beleive all of the above and blake's idea of the total gym are advantagous for disc golfers who are trying to take their game to the next level.

If you working on grip strength, try taking to weight lifting plates and pinch them together and hold them. This is what I had to do when power lifting once my back was stronger than my grip :) Dont do this very often tho, as it is easy to over train grip.