• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz or Comet for an intermediate player?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Which would you recommend to a noob/intermediate player? Accuracy and distance are about of equal importance to me.

Buzzz seems like a favorite for many players, but Comet also seems to have a lot of favorable reviews.

Also, do the different plastics have much effect on initial performance?

To give you an idea, I have one midrange disc, the old DX Shark I learned on, and I rarely get that sucker over 200'. I can flirt with 300' with drivers like a Wraith and a Beast.

For me I like the Buzzz. I just found that when I was new. I didn't have the touch required for the Comet. The Buzzz was more forgiving with the flaws in my technique and still is. As far as diff plastics? I can't really say? I've only thrown the Buzzz in "Z" and ditto for the Comet.

Comet. It will help you with form flaws. get good with that, out to 300', then pick up wraiths and such. Also, i would suggest a Leopard and Eagle/Teebird as drivers to learn on. Get those out to 300 and 350' respectively, then pick up the fast stuff.

So Comet, against my love of the buzzz.

I would personally say the Buzzz for a couple reasons. I am a beadless disc kinda guy, so if you like that i would definitely go with the buzzz. But then again if you like the discs with beads try the comet. Also if you are looking for the ti plastic go for the buzzz. I LOVE my Z buzzz thats super beat in and flys dead straight. While i do have a comet and have used it in a couple rounds i always go back to by buzz's. Give both a try though since you can buy some Pro-D plastics for about 8 bucks a piece.

People always say the Comet will show your flaws the best. So if youre new, Id go with that.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with it. If you wanna grip it and rip it, snag a Buzzz. If you want something to try and work on form and shape some lines with - but also experience some frustration - use the Comet as a learning tool.

I don't know the Buzzz, but I'd bet a dollar it is easier to become familiar with than the Comet. I have a Comet and do a lot of field work with it when I'm not playing a course. It isn't like anything else in my bag, flightwise. I'm still learning what it can do and it's pretty impressive so far. I guess what I'm trying to say is; if you're willing to work with it for a while, a Comet is well worth the effort, otherwise you might like the Buzzz better.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with it. If you wanna grip it and rip it, snag a Buzzz. If you want something to try and work on form and shape some lines with - but also experience some frustration - use the Comet as a learning tool.

Frustration is the key here. Comets will expose your flaws and burn more easily. If you are serious about getting better get a comet. If you want results now get a Buzzz

I say go with both! Both are great discs and would be a solid addition to the bag for anyone of any skill level.
Don't get scared away from the Comet because many find it touchy. It is one of the farthest flying mids on the market. You just gotta spend some time getting to know how it likes to be thrown. Also if you pick up a Z Comet I doubt you will have too much trouble with it getting away from you especially with the distances you are throwing your other discs. I carry a X and ESP Comet in addition to my 3 Z Buzzzes which has made my mid anchored bag very versatile for me.
Buzzzes are the disc that got me hooked on this sport. Their straight flight and fantastic ability to hold lines made it a great first disc for me to learn how discs fly with different releases/power levels/heights/etc...

Comets generally like a little more height and room to work to get the most out of their glide, while the Buzzz can be ripped at shoulder level on a frozen rope.

But in the end if you only want to pick up one disc I would recommend like others above to get which ever one fits your style of play the best. The Comet for carving lines or the Buzzz for point and shoot.

Get both. Throw each one every time you need to throw a mid. The Buzzz will improve your game now. The Comet will improve your game in the long run.
Sorta like would you like a fish for dinner or would you like to learn how to fish?
When you get a Comet, make sure you get it in Z plastic.

consider a meteor as well ... especially if you like how the buzzz "feels" in your hand. the meteor is effectively a faster, smaller diameter comet, and will expose technique flaws just as well due to its natural understability.

Both. Always go with both.

I have decided that I LOVE the Buzzz
(Because I have I have a hard time with some of the other discs)
Maybe I need to get a comet and get to work on my form.

I agree with some others that it depends really what you are looking for. I've tried both, but a Buzzz is in my bag. Technique flaws be damned. The Comet is a great disc with proper form. It can carve just about any line, it has great distance and glide. But its a little larger than most and felt uncomfortable in my hand. And then there was the frustration factor. The Buzzz on the other hand is a little more overstable than the Comet and feels good in my hand. It was the first mid I threw with any success, meaning some distance and accuracy. The Buzzz can do just about any line and is forgiving.

Trying both isn't a bad option.

Another midrange I like to use for touch shots is an upper 170s champion stingray I bought when they first came out 10 or 12 years ago. I've hit a thousand trees with it and it still basically flies like the day I bought it. They make 'em in star plastic, and I think maybe champion again? There was a long period of time when it was discontinued...

So I'll use the Champion Stingray for touch anhyzers and touch straight shots, an ESP Buzzz with a power grip for longer straight shots into the wind, and a max weight Z-plastic Buzzz with a control grip for midrange hyzers. And...a 12-year-old beaten up Stratus for short, sharp anhyzers. :)

This was about Comets, right? I haven't thrown one since the late '90s. I remember liking it, it going straight for me where Rocs were unpredictable.

Repeating other responses - get both: practice with the Comet, throw the Buzzz till you've mastered the Comet. Field work with the Comet will help the rest of your game as well even if you decide to stick with the Buzzz.

Oh, and THIS. We are blessed to have the cheapest (and yet greatest) sport there is. Experimenting with a Disc costs as much as a good quality pizza. If you end up not liking it, you can trade it with someone. :)

On paper we do have the cheapeast sport, but if I was to ask forum members how much they spent on a year on disc golf, I'm afraid it might be scary... Looking at people around here, I'd say several people are in the 4 digits every year... That ain't so cheap anymore.

To go back to the original question, i'd say get a comet (and a buzzz if you can). Get the comet in Z plastic because it is more resistant. As you learn to throw it, you will probably hit trees, rocks and all those sorta things and a comet in x plastic will beat up too fast (that happened to me).

For what it's worth, for players that just started the game, a z buzzz will probsbly not fly like people advertize it. Noobs usually throw high and nose up without much spin and in those condition, the buzzz will crash left (rhbh) quite s lot. As you progress and learn to throw it, you will indeed notice that it can flies very straight and quite far.

Enjoy